Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Spyderco presented something like 6-8 PM2 prototype blade shapes at the OKCA show a couple of years ago: tanto, wharnie, hawkbill, etc. (basically most of the blade shapes they've offered on their in-house models). I meant to write down the list on my phone but I was too distracted by everything else on the table (as was Liquid Cobra who was with me). Clearly, they're now offering these as exclusive blade shapes to their biggest exclusive holders (BHQ, CS). I'm guessing someone like KnifeCenter or KnifeWorks, St. Nicks maybe, has picked up some of the others so don't be surprised when those are announced.

The questions of course is how this jives with their previous PM2 exclusive model of pairing specific blade steels and G10 colors, because this obviously means we'd only see these different blade shapes in satin and DLC S30V (hopefully S45VN at some point) and that vendor's specific steel/colorway - so for CS, an orange satin and DLC XHP wharnie. With the Para 3 included as well, that's 8 knives for that vendor (4 in each blade steel, more if they're allowed to access other steel/color combos). CS is supposedly coming out with an orange G10 XHP Chief soon BTW too...

Highly doubt we'd see a wharnie Military, it's been two years now since the last exclusive Mille dropped (BHQ's natural/jade G10 DLC M4) and nearly 2.5 years since the last Millie sprint run (burnt orange REX45). I just want a regular one in Maxamet with that dark gray G10!!

Not much of a fan of all these various blade shapes personally, but it is their new business model apparently - offer everything in every option.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

It looks like the description on the site has eliminated the “one time run” wording so now it’s an exclusive 900 piece run. I hope that means there will be several runs (like the BHQ tanto model).
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:32 pm
It looks like the description on the site has eliminated the “one time run” wording so now it’s an exclusive 900 piece run. I hope that means there will be several runs (like the BHQ tanto model).
Awesome! Nice catch! Phew! Now when the site crashes and it's already sold out when it comes back online it won't be as big a deal :D :p

update: hmm no crash, that was actually easy to order hehe, guess no one cares hehe
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So who got theirs? I debated waiting for m390 or something similar, but ended up getting one of these. I'm pretty interested in the wharnie, especially after carrying my wharnie endura a bunch recently.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Got one. Still available after 12 minutes.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am
So who got theirs? I debated waiting for m390 or something similar, but ended up getting one of these. I'm pretty interested in the wharnie, especially after carrying my wharnie endura a bunch recently.
nice! i'm shocked they're still available. i'm sure you'll love it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I got one as well.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I picked one up for the collection. Orange with CTS-XHP or a fully serrated S45VN would be awesome IMO.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Soulrack wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 am
I picked one up for the collection. Orange with CTS-XHP or a fully serrated S45VN would be awesome IMO.
Hope fully serrated in any steel is coming!
Spydeeman

Post by Spydeeman »

Surprised its still in stock 30+ mins later. I think people are passing on this in hopes of a more upgraded model down the road.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Tempted, but the PM2 blade shape is already one of the best all arounders IMO.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Soulrack wrote:
A little bird told me something like this may be on the horizon……..
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 am
Soulrack wrote:
A little bird told me something like this may be on the horizon……..

They hinted at it strongly on the product page..

I grabbed one but definitely keeping an eye out for future runs.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Still available! I've gotta say I'm surprised. I think people must be holding out for other combos.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I got one, maybe. It didn't really like my cc and now my status is "Manual Verification Required", whatever that means. I'm excited to try out the straight edge. It's funny that they took the curve out of the edge and put it into the spine.
•• Beau
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pm
That makes two of us. I never even thought of that!!
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 am
Woah!! Didn't see that coming!!
Me either! I actually kind of like it.. although I don't think enough to justify purchasing another PM2 haha.. hoping it sells out on me before I make yet another impulse knife purchase this week! :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Still showing available 3.5 hours after launch. How long did the first batch of the BHQ Tanto PM2s last? I wonder if the availability of so many Seki back locks with wharnie blades; plus the Canis, Yojimbo, and Yojumbo; have tempered demand for this blade shape, even in a PM2.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ugaarguy wrote: Still showing available 3.5 hours after launch. How long did the first batch of the BHQ Tanto PM2s last? I wonder if the availability of so many Seki back locks with wharnie blades; plus the Canis, Yojimbo, and Yojumbo; have tempered demand for this blade shape, even in a PM2.
Im thinking thats it. I would rather have an endura 4 wharnie as a user wharncliffe, and a yojumbo/yojimbo/canis as a self defense wharncliffe. Which is why I passed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

These aren't even sold out yet and already showing up on eBay with a $100 markup! Sick of flippers
:usflag :respect
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:35 pm
Still showing available 3.5 hours after launch. How long did the first batch of the BHQ Tanto PM2s last? I wonder if the availability of so many Seki back locks with wharnie blades; plus the Canis, Yojimbo, and Yojumbo; have tempered demand for this blade shape, even in a PM2.
Lol, the Tanto went out of stocks very fast.

I know some people want to think everything as equal or want to believe their tastes are the norm, but we don't need to be geniuses to figure a Tanto PM2 would be way more popular than a PM2 wharncliff.

It just comes down to that. If you read the forum, you'd think wharncliff and serrated edge are popular. Outside of the forum is a very different story.