Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Post by araneae »

#putaswedgeonit

I'll pass as PM 2 models get little pocket time from me. A Para 3 lightweight would have me for sure.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
benben

Post by benben »

I swear this is like Deja Vu, having just recently bought both a 204P and a M390 PM2, this one is probably a pass for me but I swear I was going to start a post yesterday at work about possibly making a Wharncliffe PM2 but just never got around to posting it.

I agree with bearfacedkiller, I bet it’s a cutting machine! Just needs to be not so generic, we’re all spoiled or at least I am!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm still very curious if that $154.95 "Millie.PM2.P3 Club Flight Tag" that was in stk, for a few hours earlier, included the Wharnie PM2. I didn't have the cajones to test that theory.
I'm going to grab one Friday and do some grinding on that spine. :)
•• Beau
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Something about the spine is throwing me off. Can’t define exactly what I don’t like about it though. No worries, my opinion won’t matter much with these instantly selling out.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Cool beans!!! But, I'm likely going to pass :(

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I actually quite like the shape of the blade on this Wharncliffe! The spine isn’t a continuous curve like the Sekis and is most similar to the Canis in profile. The less round shape lessens the knife’s closed height.
A pointy, full flat grind, wharncliffe with a choil is a unique combination of traits in the current lineup as far as I know! Plus it’s a PM2 meaning it’s made in Golden.
Also just noticed it costs pretty much the same as a Yojimbo 2.

Edit: Serrations would bring this to the next level!

Cutlery Shoppe has not been shy about revealing plans for a number of variations, so you’re probably looking at a few thousand knives without even considering the possibility of multiple runs.
For myself, blade shapes being exclusive to dealers because they bought the rights and took the risk to do so, is fine. I think it’s really cool BladeHQ, CutleryShoppe, etc. are able to expand the variety of Spyderco designs beyond what we may see otherwise.

I am worried about the number of knives produced not meeting demand, though.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The closed profile it looks like a normal PM2 except with a reground tip because someone snapped off about half an inch prying something.

The open profile, the blade looks like a witches nose. LOL :D

I think the blade profile looks odd to me because of the abrupt change in angles on the spine. The transition from flat to round on the spine is too noticeable, in my opinion. Something a little more continuous and smooth would have been my preference.

Here's a quick mockup of what I would have preferred to see compared to the original. The difference is subtle.

(Only edited the open profile) -

Original -
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a self defense minded person's dream come true. I am not that much into detent based locks and the Para 3 would be too small for my hand, I am thinking. The Para2 is cramped. However, I do think this is an intriguing design and is actually useful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It’s just ... meh ! That spine shape hurts my eyes.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm
Interesting. I agree with Wartstein, a SE version should really be made for this.

So BladeOps has the Emerson, BladeHQ has the Tanto, Cutlery Shoppe has the Wharnie.... who will drop what next?

I agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing PM2 I've ever seen, but I wouldn't base buying it or not based on that alone, I do think I'll pass on being a early adopter, but if/when an SE model is offered, I'm SOOOO there. ;) :D

Cheers,

John

[edit: correction]
A Hawkbill next???
I would set aside my distaste for blade exclusives if I could get a hawkbill para3 or pm2.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:23 pm
Interesting. More interested in the Para 3 version tho
Same here, I think the blade shape will look better on a shorter platform.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I don't see much use in a long straight edge and agree, that a Para 3 would (at least to me) look more useful as one usually gets this blade shape for detailed tip work and for that a shorter blade is more practical. Other may feel differently though. I however do understand the 'witch nose' as making the blade too pointy would make the tip too easy to break (especially given that all para/military knives have a very basic full flat grind where distal taper is only regulated by the blade height and stock thickness - not a critique, just a matter of fact)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
jdw

Post by jdw »

Other than a slight difference in blade shape, I wonder what function this knife offers in actual use that the Yojumbo doesn't?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

jdw wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 am
Other than a slight difference in blade shape, I wonder what function this knife offers in actual use that the Yojumbo doesn't?
A pointy, full flat grind, wharncliffe with a choil is a unique combination of traits in the current lineup as far as I know!
...and I’d wager the tip to be stronger than both the Yojimbo 2 and regular Paramilitary 2, becasue it’s less acute than either of the formers’ profiles.

-

Large Wharncliffes are very useful blades!
Aside from probably being a good self defense shape, they just give you a lot of power when cutting and are super simple to sharpen.
That said, I also think advantage in some areas of performance over knives with belly increases dramatically the shorter the blade. So the Para3 will be a really nicely sized Wharncliffe.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

jdw wrote:
Imo, this looks way less murdery than the yojimbo. That knife is pretty intimidating to non-knife people, and was designed for self-defense, whereas this looks more like a tool.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

The Spyderco Canis is not amused...

I feel like in terms of construction and blade grind alone leaves the PM2 in the dust, but it's nice to see the wharnie being embraced on a popular platform. It's one of my favorite style of blades.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

why are people complaining about this knife? if you don't like it, don't get it. i didn't read every comment, but the knives i'm seeing it compared to don't have finger choils. that's more than enough of a difference for some people. or maybe people just love the pm2 more than any other knife and would like it in a wharncliffe. either way, i'm sure at least 900 people will buy this knife. it's not the same as the canis. it's not the same as the yoj(i/u)mbo. it's not the same as any of the other wharncliffes offered by spyderco. you may not want it because it's close enough to something else you already have (that's why i don't want it), but that doesn't mean that it's pointless or that no one wants it. if i didn't have a sheepsfoot caribbean that i pretty much edc exclusively these days, i might look at this knife really hard, even though i do have a yojimbo already. as far as it being ugly... well, i think all spyderco knives are ugly. that's part of the appeal. they're ugly in all the right ways.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I’m not interested in this PM2, I don’t see it as an abomination as some others are seeing it.

Jim
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm
Interesting. I agree with Wartstein, a SE version should really be made for this.

So BladeOps has the Emerson, BladeHQ has the Tanto, Cutlery Shoppe has the Wharnie.... who will drop what next?

I agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing PM2 I've ever seen, but I wouldn't base buying it or not based on that alone, I do think I'll pass on being a early adopter, but if/when an SE model is offered, I'm SOOOO there. ;) :D

Cheers,

John

[edit: correction]

A Hawkbill next
???
[+1]

As long as an SE version was made too, I'd be all about it. Perhaps made from K390? ;)

As Cutlery Shop has stated this is a first of many runs including the Para3, I wonder if we'll see a Tanto Para3 from BHQ, or Emerson Para3 from BladeOps... It sorta makes sense for both Spyderco & the shops to do since they've already done a bunch of the work it would require... Hmmmm

:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jdw wrote:

A choil for those who like them and maybe a preference in ergonomics. Better slicing capability. Probably slightly lighter weight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David