What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Naperville »

Have been carrying the Spyderco Native Chief in S90V since it got here.

This PerSev thinks it is the best balanced 4 inch knife for thrusts and cuts.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:07 pm
Once I had the Mule in hand, I was actually surprised that it wasn't very big! As you can see here, it's similar in size to my two favorite models the Manix and Shaman. The blade stock thickness seems to be pretty similar to the Manix, but with quite bit more cutting edge. Larry left a pretty toothy, yet sharp edge on it, so I'm going to roll with it as is. Though it does seem to catch and cut slightly in the sheath when putting it in or retracting it, no visible damage to the edge though.

Resized_20210223_133329.jpeg
Resized_20210223_133242.jpeg
Resized_20210223_133147.jpeg
Having pretty much Manix- / Shaman size: Do you miss a choil and the option to choke on the Mule so far, or do you appreciate the longer edge and the closer to the edge placement of the hand on the handle? (I figure you can´t tell yet though, but just after some use)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Once I had the Mule in hand, I was actually surprised that it wasn't very big! As you can see here, it's similar in size to my two favorite models the Manix and Shaman. The blade stock thickness seems to be pretty similar to the Manix, but with quite bit more cutting edge. Larry left a pretty toothy, yet sharp edge on it, so I'm going to roll with it as is. Though it does seem to catch and cut slightly in the sheath when putting it in or retracting it, no visible damage to the edge though.
Having pretty much Manix- / Shaman size: Do you miss a choil and the option to choke on the Mule so far, or do you appreciate the longer edge and the closer to the edge placement of the hand on the handle? (I figure you can´t tell yet though, but just after some use)
The handle size on this knife is just right, plenty comfortable enough that I don't miss the choil (which I typically prefer) To steal a page from you...that long cutting edge in a small package is nice to have too! I haven't used it a ton today, quite a few people around for some reason :confused: :mad: I'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable, yet easy to use way of carrying the sheath. This is new territory for me! But I must admit...it does feel pretty cool carrying something in my waistband for a change :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am
Enactive wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 pm
The mail carrier brought me a new pair of scales. I oiled them up, eased some rough bits and fuzzy edges (needs a little more still) installed them and went for a walk in my local woods.

These do not feel as luxurious as the Spyderco factory micarta, as on my CruCarta Shaman, but i'm still thinking it is an upgrade from the stock FRN. I'm hoping they break in nicely, as i recall these other micarta handles needing some aging.
Nice! Where did you find the sage scales?
Thanks. They are from Parsons BladeWorks...only for the Sage LW. They include a lanyard tube delete and left side clip attachment delete.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The handle size on this knife is just right, plenty comfortable enough that I don't miss the choil (which I typically prefer) To steal a page from you...that long cutting edge in a small package is nice to have too! I haven't used it a ton today, quite a few people around for some reason :confused: :mad: I'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable, yet easy to use way of carrying the sheath. This is new territory for me! But I must admit...it does feel pretty cool carrying something in my waistband for a change :cool:

So it would not be wise to use a fixed blade on your work place too publicly I guess - ?

/ The choil thing is funny: Right now I have a phase once more where I really enjoy choils.. :o :rolleyes: - just not on knives larger than a Chap, but smaller than a Manix (well, even there is one exception: I am almost certain I´d really like the choil on the Sage. But I have to handle one yet.)
Actually this is a good thing! So now I carry Manix and Stretch (both having a choil of course) almost exclusively and enjoy both a lot, but I know there will come a time when coming back to the "choil-less" Endura and Endela will feel great again. :) Don´t know if you know that "coming home" feeling when you have not used a type of folder for a longer time and then kind of "rediscover" the great features of its particular design once more.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This will be my main carry, until further notice.
;) :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I actually carried a Manix 2 LW SPY27 today

But these were waiting for me when I got home....

Thanks to Vivi for the heads up on the Goddard Jr. When I purchased that one I saw a link to the Baby Goddard. That one's been on the wish list for quite a while. Price was really good so I bought that one too

The Goddard Jr has some honest wear but it's in nice shape considering the price. The action is really stiff as the blade gets close to locking up. I'm working on that. It was pretty dirty inside. Some Q-tips and light oil have already improved it quite a bit. It may get a soak in some hot soapy water tonight.

The Baby Goddard is much better than expected. It's darn close to mint condition. The action is really nice too. I like that it's about the size of a Manbug. Not sure but this one may see substantial pocket time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 pm

Nice! I'm excited for the Swick 5, it can't get here soon enough. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Agreed :) I sold my Swick 3 when they announced it. Would have held on to it longer if I knew how long it was going to take. The wait will be worth it though. LC200N is going to take it to the next level.
:unicorn
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Agreed :) I sold my Swick 3 when they announced it. Would have held on to it longer if I knew how long it was going to take. The wait will be worth it though. LC200N is going to take it to the next level.

I've, so far :o , kept myself from buying anything similar to the Swick. The Swick 5 seems to align perfectly with my preferences, and yes, LC200N is the perfect choice for this model!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

IMG_20210223_153726_306.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

These days I just always want to carry the Stretch 1.
For a change though in black instead of burnt orange and VG10 instead of HAP40 today. :)

craytab

Post by craytab »

kobold

Post by kobold »

The Chap, with a Seiko 5 and the Acebeam TK16 SST20@4000K.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Swapped the scales to something less flashy at work, nice grip on these ones too.

Resized_20210224_101927_486670578697081.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Almost 70F today, perfect hiking weather just like yesterday.
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau