I mean no dis Respect, but

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: I mean no dis Respect, but

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:54 pm
IIRC, that unsharpened portion of the blade between the edge and guard is the “ricasso”. I’m not really a fan of them in general; I’m not sure what they do functionally especially on a knife with a guard. I’ve heard them described as for the user to “choke up” on the blade.

No, I am pretty sure that that "Ricasso" or "choil" on a Bowie is primarely for what I described above already: If you stab something and the blade gets stuck in the material, one can put one finger in that "choil" and push back against the front side of the guard, while pulling out the blade. The pulling out is made easier by that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think the function of some parts of any knife design is often up to the user.
My own Bowie has a ricasso I use for a choil and to pull it out of wood it’s stuck in.
I’ll have to grab some pictures of it!
Very similar to Sal’s design in concept.

I’d probably really enjoy the Respect if I had one. Hopefully they’re still around when I get the chance. Maybe one day Spyderco fixed blades will be more popular!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

I use it to choke up on the blade with the guard behind my index finger when I swing hard, like chopping.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have read several times about a sword fighting grip where the index finger is wrapped around the guard/quillon. I’d have little doubt that Bowie knives were used in a similar manner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Unfortunately my Bowie is in storage, so I don’t have the opportunity to take pics of it yet.
I inherited it from my Great Uncle who served in the Korean War and I believe in Vietnam as well (I was young when he passed).

The knife has no makers mark, but is likely from Mexico far as I can tell. Has an eagle pommel and a Spanish engraving on the blade. The closest match I could find online is this one below which is of similar dimensions.
My knife also has the large ricasso and offset blade.
The area these knives are made is called Oaxaca, Mexico. At least one family there has a history of making knives dating back to the 1700s!
Edit: the image isn’t working yet :o
Maybe a link to the page will work better?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1826114959
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 pm
Last edited by Cl1ff on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Meant to edit not quote :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you read the historical references on Jim Bowie's sandbar fight, the knife he was using (made for him by his brother Resyn) was basically a large butcher knife. Straight spine, no guard. Yet we all expect a clip point and a guard on a "Bowie knife".

Edit to add a picture, because we all like pictures.

Last edited by yablanowitz on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Knives evolve. Everything evolves.

Expecting all Bowie knives to look like the "Sandbar" knife that no one has an actual example of is like going to a Ford dealership and loudly complaining you can't get a Model T.

A Bowie knife now is a large fixed fighting knife rooted in the American West. Mighty wide lines to colour in with that in mind.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 am
If you read the historical references on Jim Bowie's sandbar fight, the knife he was using (made for him by his brother Resyn) was basically a lerge butcher knife. Straight spine, no guard. Yet we all expect a clip point and a guard on a "Bowie knife".
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 am
If you read the historical references on Jim Bowie's sandbar fight, the knife he was using (made for him by his brother Resyn) was basically a lerge butcher knife. Straight spine, no guard. Yet we all expect a clip point and a guard on a "Bowie knife".

This is basically what I meant by my post further up. The definition of a Bowie Knife is quite nebulous.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I agree, there really isn't a definitive Bowie knife.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

I would also be interested to learn the reason for the offset blade-handle. I have often wondered why the same feature appears on the USN Mk2/USMC KA-BAR and most of the Mk1's that preceded it.
On the Respect, the offset brings the line of the ricasso in line with the line of the handle, which makes sense to me. On the combat knives, the offset causes the ricasso to drop below the line of the handle. Interesting.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sometimes the offset is due to the construction of the knife. In the example of the Kabars and MK1s above, they are all partial or stick tangs.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have never noticed the offset on the kabars. Does it have the effect of lining up the tip with the centerline of the handle?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find it to be comfortable enough while chopping. The offset is odd but in the hand I don't notice it. Personally I prefer coffin handles for looks. One day I might get a custom set made so I can have a coffin handle
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I dug out my old Mark2 last night and checked. The spine side of the handle lines up with the spine of the blade except for the flare at the guard. The edge side of the handle curves in a bit more. Mine is Camillus made, probably mid to late 70s.

Like I said, I was just curious about the reasoning.