New scale install?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Cscottsss

New scale install?

Post by Cscottsss »

I'm going to be installing my new G10 scales on my SPY 27 Mule this weekend and just curious if anyone puts anything on the blank prior?

I saw on another forum where someone put a thin coating of frog lube on before installing his scales. I don't have any frog lube around the house but will get some if it's recommended.

I don't plan on using my new Mule in wet or corrosive environments because that's what my Salt knives are for. ;)
Zive

Re: New scale install?

Post by Zive »

I treated my Maxamet mule with Frog Lube before attaching handles to it. Granted that model is a lot less stainless than SPY27 is, but it can’t hurt to have that extra protection. Just my 2¢.

Enjoy that new mule!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Zive wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 am
I treated my Maxamet mule with Frog Lube before attaching handles to it. Granted that model is a lot less stainless than SPY27 is, but it can’t hurt to have that extra protection. Just my 2¢.

Enjoy that new mule!
Thanks, yeah Maxamet is a little different animal. Lucky you have that model, I love Maxamet!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spy 27 is stainless. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you permanently attaching the scales? Or are they removable? If they're removable you can always just take them off to inspect (and clean if necessary) later.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:29 pm
Spy 27 is stainless. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you permanently attaching the scales? Or are they removable? If they're removable you can always just take them off to inspect (and clean if necessary) later.

Thanks, they are the G10 Spyderco scales so they're removable.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Should be good on this steel. When they get wet the scales do wick a bit of water under the scales so as above mentioned, check periodically.

I have put a thin layer of felt as a liner sprayed to damp with food grade Inox for ones I have tried in the kitchen.. (less stainless steels though)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:27 pm
Should be good on this steel. When they get wet the scales do wick a bit of water under the scales so as above mentioned, check periodically.

I have put a thin layer of felt as a liner sprayed to damp with food grade Inox for ones I have tried in the kitchen.. (less stainless steels though)
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, probably won't be used in the kitchen. I got a few Z-Cuts that get kitchen duty if I have the hankering to use a Spyderco for food prep. :D