Spyder Classics: The C-111 Captain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-111 Captain

Post by JD Spydo »

This past model comes up in conversation quite a bit when discussing Spyderco models you wish they would have offered in full Spyderedge. I've even been told that one of the earliest prototypes of this great folder had a full SE blade. Well at least the inner arch portion anyway.

This knife had a cult following probably second only to the C-60 Ayoob model. I do indeed believe had they offered the C-111 Captain in full SE I'm certain they would have sold quite a few more units than they did in PE.

I'm hoping for a Sprint Run of this great model in Full SE because in plain edge I don't believe this knife ever got a chance to show it's full potential. The pendulum end of the Captain always had a lot of possibilities for a wide range of different uses. I assume that Jason Breeden ( the designer of the Captain) must have intended this model for fishing, marine and seafaring uses. But I think if they would re-design the Captain with TEETH on the blade it would draw a much bigger fan base.

Also I'm hoping that some of you folks that own and use the C-111 Captain would tell us what you primarily use it for? The C-111 Captain is probably one of the most unique knives that Spyderco ever put in their line up>> as well as being one of the most mis-understood.
Reject

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-111 Captain

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Interesting concept. Wonder what it would be like with full serrations on the inside curve and PE on the upswept tip portion? Kind of like a new age combo edge Razel interpretation out of LC200N. Could be a useful tool.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I liked the Captain, but to me it never felt like a fully developed cutting tool. The handle needed some refinement/slightly more length, and I think enlarging the handle/blade choil would have really elevated the performance. Still a good knife and worth tracking down.

Not sure where this pic is from, it's been in my old photobucket for a long time:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's a knife with character. I really like that one!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I remember handling one in my local knife shop back when I first joined the forum, I should have bought it then. I remember it was a little cramped in the grip for me and I think that's why I passed on it but I think I could mod it to my liking. In a way it's sort of a warped tanto isn't it?

And since it was mentioned, I will always wish Spyderco would do a version of the Razel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Spyderco have really made me interested in blades with compound grinds, and ‘complex curves’ as Marc/wrdwright calls them. The CE 52100 PM2 which I’ve used for the past eight months has been an instructive experience, and I often miss it when I’m not carrying it.

So my question is: does that swedge on the spine area of the Captain have any intended purpose besides being a weight saving feature, and possibly aiding balance?

Or if it doesn’t, has anybody found it useful for some task or other?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 am
Interesting concept. Wonder what it would be like with full serrations on the inside curve and PE on the upswept tip portion? Kind of like a new age combo edge Razel interpretation out of LC200N. Could be a useful tool.
That's a question I would like an answer to ;) I just know deep in my gut that if they would offer up the C-111 Captain with that inner arch part of the blade in full SE it would be a completely different tool all together IMO.

Like I've said I do like that pendulum end of the blade in PE because when it's razor sharp it is interesting all the cutting you can do with it. If that inner arch were full SE could you imagine how great of a rope and cordage cutter that would be :eek:

I'm not giving up hope that we couldn't get Spyderco to re-consider giving this most interesting model another chance in SE.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:20 am
I remember handling one in my local knife shop back when I first joined the forum, I should have bought it then. I remember it was a little cramped in the grip for me and I think that's why I passed on it but I think I could mod it to my liking. In a way it's sort of a warped tanto isn't it?
You beat me to it, as usual.

I found one unused last year and am happy as a clam. Love its many facets.

Still pondering its applications. I imagine it has uses in the building trades, at least. I certainly could have used it when I laid in a data-network for my house (back before the rise of WiFi).

The (weight-reducing) bevel along the spine offers an edge-saving scraper, the front end a quasi-chisel that can open a channel or press-cut a wire against a surface, the recurve can gather up material to power through on a pull. Sort of a multitool.

Yes, it can be said, “Jack of all trades, master of none”, but it can also be said, “Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”.

Probably won’t get made again, but I’d get a new one if SE was offered.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
benben

Post by benben »

After having had a BNIB Captain for years in my safe, I finally sold mine around six months ago. Now had it been a Rescue, pretty sure I would have never sold it! The fit, finish, and action on my Captain was as good as it gets!

wrdwrght is dead on it, Jack of all trades, master of none!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I'm wondering if this should be the next model we petition for a new Sprint Run :) ??? But I will let you all ultimately decide whether or not this would be a great Sprint run in SE especially. I'm already voting YES if my vote is acknowledged.

Because I've thought for some time that the Captain and Superhawk both got a raw deal for not being made available in SE. Do any of you agree with that statement? If so I would like to hear more on the subject.

If I were to get a C-111 Captain model in SE it would most certainly be in my "user rotation". I could think of several cutting jobs it would be good for in SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 pm
Well I'm wondering if this should be the next model we petition for a new Sprint Run :) ???

After the Ayoob, my #1 wish will be a SE Ulize. That could possibly be the one knife to rule them all for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 pm
Well I'm wondering if this should be the next model we petition for a new Sprint Run :) ???

After the Ayoob, my #1 wish will be a SE Ulize. That could possibly be the one knife to rule them all for me.
Thank you Sir!!! that's what I need to hear. And maybe that might be the best game plan given the circumstances. But at some point I would love to see the Captain with a set of TEETH as well.

And the more I'm contemplating it I'm thinking it is high time that at least one of the "Recurve" models gets a set of teeth as well. And with all things being equal the ULIZE is a prime candidate to be the first>>nothing could convince me otherwise.

And as far as the Superhawk is concerned I think it's already considered an established fact that Hawkbill blades do operate with at least 8 times the ability in SE than their PE counterparts are able to.

I am glad that this Spyder Classics thread with the Captain has gotten some serious attention though. I'm even hoping that at some point we'll see some more Jason Breeden designs down the road.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:20 am
You beat me to it, as usual.

I found one unused last year and am happy as a clam. Love its many facets.

Still pondering its applications. I imagine it has uses in the building trades, at least. I certainly could have used it when I laid in a data-network for my house (back before the rise of WiFi).

The (weight-reducing) bevel along the spine offers an edge-saving scraper, the front end a quasi-chisel that can open a channel or press-cut a wire against a surface, the recurve can gather up material to power through on a pull. Sort of a multitool.

Yneed it and not hes, it can be said, “Jack of all trades, master of none”, but it can also be said, “Better to have it and not need it, than to ave it”.

Probably won’t get made again, but I’d get a new one if SE was offered.
That sentence tells me a lot>> that quote "Better To Have It And Not Need It Than to Need It And Not Have It">> that can be said of a lot tools we use or just have in case we do need to use it. Ever since I got my first Captain model in PE I immediately thought of how much more useful it would be if the inner curved part had TEETH.

With serrations the CAPTAIN model has lots of possibilities. I did skin one white-tail deer with one of the first ones I bought and in PE it's even a great skinning knife. But with TEETH there are so many cutting jobs you could do with the CAPTAIN. It most definitely needs to be considered for a serious Sprint Run and I bet a few of you guys agree :cool: