The spydie folder you would bring in a trip around the world

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The spydie folder you would bring in a trip around the world

Post by Wartstein »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am
spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 am
PE H1 Atlantic Salt. Good edge retention, non-threatening appearance, easy to sharpen with anything from a file to a smooth river rock, big enough to cut a sandwich.
This surprises me (good edge retention on PE H1). Never tried myself (just in SE), but it is not what people here normally say?!
I think H1 is probably the most unfairly maligned steel wrt edge retention. I think most of the negative feedback is from people who are repeating what they've heard, not sharing personal experience. It's not the best but it certainly holds it's own compared mid-tier steels. I've posted this before, but a few years ago I had occasion to cut 200+ feet of dirty bike box cardboard with PE H1. The knife cut great and would still shave after.
Thanks for your reply! / Yes, the highlighted sentence is what generally happens to often to be honest... for example also when people talk about Spydercos SE and so on.
So: Interesting insight in YOUR real life experience! :)
As said, I have zero when it comes to H1 in PE
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

If only one knife, I'd go with the tactical bottle opener, as it offers the most versatility.

If I could pair it with another brand, I'd take a soon to be released LC200N SE Salt 2 with a SAK Camper.

If taking laws into consideration, I'd probably take the soon to be released salt penknife.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am
spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 am
PE H1 Atlantic Salt. Good edge retention, non-threatening appearance, easy to sharpen with anything from a file to a smooth river rock, big enough to cut a sandwich.
This surprises me (good edge retention on PE H1). Never tried myself (just in SE), but it is not what people here normally say?!
I think H1 is probably the most unfairly maligned steel wrt edge retention. I think most of the negative feedback is from people who are repeating what they've heard, not sharing personal experience. It's not the best but it certainly holds it's own compared mid-tier steels. I've posted this before, but a few years ago I had occasion to cut 200+ feet of dirty bike box cardboard with PE H1. The knife cut great and would still shave after.
I've got to agree, and I'll had that if you see the thousands of reviews on Amazon fot the PAC Salt 1 (PE H1) you will see a lot of references for good edge retention. Sure, these reviews come from non knife nuts... And I think that's important too.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It'd probably be the Military. Just nothing I can't handle with that blade.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Your K390 or CTS 204P? ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Just from a practical/legal standpoint, I'd probably bring my Pingo. While not my absolute favorite, it's the one that's least likely to get you in legal trouble during your journeys.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I think I'd go with my s110v para2. Little worries about corrosion and large enough for all tasks. Providing that my edge pro w diamond stones are with me too of course. If no edge pro id probably take my endela vg10.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:

Ooph, definitely the Ranger Green K390 Military 2 I'm dreaming of. :cool:

The only military I have so far is the CTS-204p with Forest Green. I do have a PM2 and Para 3 in K390 (with a Stretch LW in K390 on pre-order). That K390 Stretch would probably be another contender, especially if I can get some aftermarket micarta scales for it!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:

Ooph, definitely the Ranger Green K390 Military 2 I'm dreaming of. :cool:

The only military I have so far is the CTS-204p with Forest Green. I do have a PM2 and Para 3 in K390 (with a Stretch LW in K390 on pre-order). That K390 Stretch would probably be another contender, especially if I can get some aftermarket micarta scales for it!
My bad, I misread you signature! Missed the "Para" before "Military in K390"... :p
But: You don´t tell me you´d want the K390 Millie as a "2" like in "comp. lock Millie" ?!? :mad: :mad: ... ;) ;) :p
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

For me, if legalities, and possible loss or theft were no issue, it would probably be the HAP40 Stretch.

I’d pair it with a 58mm Vic, like the Classic, or my spearpoint GEC Crownlifter.

In reality, when I’ve considered this question before and taken a Spydie on overseas travels, it’s been the K390 Pingo or the Superblue Dragonfly, depending on jurisdiction. These days it would be the K390 Urban.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:22 pm
For me, if legalities, and possible loss or theft were no issue, it would probably be the HAP40 Stretch.
Hey, those are some really great scales on that stretch. Do you mind sharing your source?

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm
My bad, I misread you signature! Missed the "Para" before "Military in K390"... :p
But: You don´t tell me you´d want the K390 Millie as a "2" like in "comp. lock Millie" ?!? :mad: :mad: ... ;) ;) :p
Yes, although I will admit that since I've been carrying the Military more and more the liner lock is growing on me.

I had quite a few cheap liner locks as a teenager, and was quite put off of them. I still think the comp lock is superior, but I do appreciate the large surface area of the liner lock on the military. I also agree that it's easier to use with gloves.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If it was around the world I'd carry a UKPK Salt or SPY-DK, and I would consider a Cat and Pingo as alternatives. If I could avoid places with restrictions, then I'd carry an Endura paired with a Victorinox Pioneer X.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm
Yes, although I will admit that since I've been carrying the Military more and more the liner lock is growing on me.

I had quite a few cheap liner locks as a teenager, and was quite put off of them. I still think the comp lock is superior, but I do appreciate the large surface area of the liner lock on the military. I also agree that it's easier to use with gloves.

Hey, I hope my emojis made clear that I was just kidding! ;)
Was meant like making fun of myself since I SOO (a bit exaggerated) passionately advocated for the linerlock Mille ;)

But now that Sal has said that even if a comp.lock Millie will come, the linerlock Millie will remain in the lineup too, I am actually excited for the Millie 2 too!
I´ll most likely always prefer the great linerlock on this model (or even this kind of models, I like the comp. lock in smaller, more "urban carry" folders), but to see and perhaps even try for a while what Spyderco will come up with is something I am looking forward too! :)

/ Yes, linerlock is not linerlock. The Millies is by far the best I personally ever had, and cheap and badly made ones can be annoying and there are quite some out there (not on Spydies though).
But "cheap and badly made" comp. locks would most likely annoying too - but there are none (or perhaps only on some nasty counterfeits...)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:11 pm
Hey, those are some really great scales on that stretch. Do you mind sharing your source?
Thanks! I’ve sent you a PM, my friend. :)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Bladeforums did a Spyderco around the world passaround - it was a dk pen knife
kobold

Post by kobold »

In an ideal world, the GB2, but realistically, the Chap FRN.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's not surprising that so many people would carry a salt on a trip like this. the salt line is one of the best things spyderco has going. i don't know why more companies aren't doing it.

i have a pac salt se and a caribbean sheepsfoot se and it would be tough to choose between the two. i may go for the pac salt because i prefer the thumb ramp and jimping on the pac salt over those of the caribbean. i also like that it is super lightweight, all black (more discrete), and sits very nicely inside my waistband. the caribbean instills more confidence due to it's better build quality and materials though. it's a very sturdy knife.

in the end, i'd probably take my pac salt se, a sak, and a mora.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I mean if there are no restrictions I would carry my Kris and my H1 spyderhawk.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Don't think I'll get to making another trip around the world but in '06-'07 I carried a Benchmade Griptilian and a Victorinox multitool and Pioneer SAK on a 12 month trip around the world.
In '09-'10 on a 7 month trip around the world although mostly (close to 6 months) in/through New Zealand I carried a CPMD2 Para Military, a DPX HEST fixed blade and once again the Victorinox multitool and Pioneer SAK.

Nowadays my trips are shorter and usually within Europe, I try to annualy visit friends who live in the woods in the mountains in N-Portugal so a good place to bring knives to test, tend to usually carry 2-3 knives plus something Victorinox there.

If I would go on another trip around the world on just one full size folder (would bring the Pioneer & multitool anyway) it would probably be a Police4/Endura/Endela/Stretch 2 in K390 or maybe my Manix2lw (in S110V).
If just folders a Stretch2 in K390 or Manix2lw and a Pacific Salt SE, have really abused that blade and it's still going strong.

(a bit used to using mainly fixed blades for edc these days and would likely bring 2-3 fixed blades on a new trip around the world, 2 Spyderco folders and 2x Victorinox)

Btw, since the trip would be virtual another addition a virtual Spydie: Stretch 2 with flat ground spine in LC200N should make for a great travelling folder!
(or maybe just different handle color options for the Pacific Salt in LC200N ;) )