Just put my last Spyderco in a Zipper bag ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Just put my last Spyderco in a Zipper bag ...

Post by Wartstein »

Frenchblob,

relating to Sals post above:
Keep in mind that shipping can be extremely delayed these days!!
Not too long ago I returned an item (not a knife) inside the European Union. As you will know this should arrive within like two or three days.
Due to Corona, postservice overload and so on it took instead (not kidding!): Over two MONTH!!

/ Now: Why you don´t have the whole mail chain between you and Spyderco (that Sal does have) is a bit weird ...perhaps their last mail went into your spam folder? (Cause you stated they said "no way" the washers could be shipped when actually they did ship them but you were obviously not aware of that?!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Frenchblob,

Whilst Sal has said that the washers have been posted, I’d suggest sourcing local washers anyway. The postal system is broken (unless sent by courier company) thanks to the virus. As examples, I still haven’t got my Spyderco 2021 calendar and I’ve been waiting for an item from Hong Kong since early December.

Sure, Europe will have more functional postal systems than Africa has but the reality is with the limited number of international flights at the moment and the backlog that it is creating could mean a long wait. Courier companies seem to manage to get product deliver but standard international postage seems to be a mess.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

It's an annoying issue but I doubt Spyderco is custom-machining phosphor bronze washers on a lathe in the factory. If they can buy them so can you, most likely.
sal

Post by sal »

I'm out of town working from "home" and overnight takes week or more to reach me.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:05 am
I'm out of town working from "home" and overnight takes week or more to reach me.

sal

As said above: INSIDE the European sending stuff from one country to another normally takes two or three days.
But the last item I sent (inside the European Union!): More than TWO MONTH!!! :eek:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Thanks for help and consideration.

Sal, I received your shipping yesterday. That is the reason why I was upset. In the shipping, there were 2 T6 screws and No washers. I was hoping for washers and was disappointed. If there was 2 different shippings from you, it may arrive but I doubt.

I certainly can buy washers by myself, that is why I asked for dimensions from factory for Frn Chaparral...

Thanks for help, Sal and forum mates
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Edit: after 1 hour research, with given dimensions above, no washers found either in Europe or us.. It may be harder than I thought
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:47 am
Edit: after 1 hour research, with given dimensions above, no washers found either in Europe or us.. It may be harder than I thought

you could get the closest of the thicker ones and buff those down perhaps?!
I know, bit of a hazzle, and you´d have to try during the process if they fit already...
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

If you don't mind to pay a few cents more, I'm sure the next locksmithery is able to help you. They have the equipment to measure and copy anything you ask for. The material might be subject to special order, but anyway...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 am
FrenchBlob wrote:

I know, bit of a hazzle, and you´d have to try during the process if they fit already...
I think it is called lapping. It is well proven method for a custom fit of washer bearings.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 am
FrenchBlob wrote:

I think it is called lapping. It is well proven method for a custom fit of washer bearings.

Thanks!
Actually you just taught me a new English word I've never heard before! :)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks!
Actually you just taught me a new English word I've never heard before! :)
Your English is already better than mine, and I'm a native speaker. Same was the case for my German born mother. I guess I did not get enough of the Germanic blood or brains.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Thanks for help . Good ideas everywhere
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Im sure Spyderco will make it right mate, don't give up on the best knives on the planet.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would even try different teflon washers. They are about 0,15 US cents ea. If you buy the thinnest available, you could stack them until they are just right. You have nothing to lose.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Frenchblob,

I'll check with Charlynn.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Frenchblob,

Charlynn is going to send you washers. Since we don't know what model you have or in what version, if the washers don't work, just put the knife in a plastic bag. There real solution is don't take the knife apart if you can't keep the parts and put it back together. Didn't we go through this with you on your Sage? Our knives are not Leggos.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dad Mode: Activated
🤣
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
derp

Post by derp »

LOL quality thread, some twists, some turns, ends with a grand finale!
Police 4 LW K390|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT Cruwear|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:37 pm
Hi Frenchblob,

Charlynn is going to send you washers. Since we don't know what model you have or in what version, if the washers don't work, just put the knife in a plastic bag. There real solution is don't take the knife apart if you can't keep the parts and put it back together. Didn't we go through this with you on your Sage? Our knives are not Leggos.

sal

This last post of Sal actually points something out I admittedly never thought about:

There really IS a difference if one needs replacements parts because:
1.) They disassembled the knife and messed whatever up- or:
2.) Parts get lost without (or largely without) fault of the customer.

This is in no way personal against French Blob (!) or even to put me in a better light, but just as an example:
When Spyderco sent me clip screw and pivot screw, those screws had just gone lost without me doing anything beforehand. So they were perhaps a bit loose from the factory or not loctited as usually.
Still, one could argue that I should have checked all the screws after getting the knife, but this is certainly much less to be expected from a customer than being carefull when disassembling a knife...