Could it be that Spyderco will "rerun" the entire Sage series in Maxamet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Could it be that Spyderco will "rerun" the entire Sage series in Maxamet?

Post by Wartstein »

Just a random thought, that might have come up before without me noticing it:

The Sage 1 in Maxamet obviously was a surprise for many (including me) and I think it is an amazing piece. And I totally like that there now is another liner lock model in the mid to high end genuine Spyderco lineup, where they are actually pretty rare compared to comp. - and backlock.

Anyway, could it be that this was just the prelude of a rerun of the entire Sage series in Maxamet and grey handles (the "4" probably not bolstered then)?

I personally would like that - though, to be honest, it would not necessarily have to be Maxamet for me (never had it, but from what I know it is just not my kind of steel)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Re: Could it be that Spyderco will "rerun" the entire Sage series in Maxamet?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hard to say what they'll do but I don't like the idea of them doing all the previous models over again. Rather than revisit the past I'd prefer them to focus on new versions using different lock types like the series is supposed to showcase.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would love a Sage 4
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:22 pm
I would love a Sage 4
They're out there. You just have watch and be ready to buy when the right one presents itself. I got lucky. Candyman (Rich) offered me one of his. It was the right deal but wrong timing for me as I was buying something else at the time. So I reluctantly had to pass. Then a couple months later I happened across one on the exchange. I don't remember all the details but there was some back and forth. I finally ended up with one in a condition I liked for a price I could live with.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I don't think so, much as I would enjoy it. I should really get myself a sage.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I would love a Sage 4
They're out there. You just have watch and be ready to buy when the right one presents itself. I got lucky. Candyman (Rich) offered me one of his. It was the right deal but wrong timing for me as I was buying something else at the time. So I reluctantly had to pass. Then a couple months later I happened across one on the exchange. I don't remember all the details but there was some back and forth. I finally ended up with one in a condition I liked for a price I could live with.
No I mean in the hypothetical (a new run of the past sages) . I've seen the 4 around but never in the condition or the price I would want.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:31 pm
I don't think so, much as I would enjoy it. I should really get myself a sage.

You should. I should... ;)

Of the currently regularely available I´d like the grey linerlock one the most...if it was not in Maxamet.
The Sage 5 LW is also very intriguing! Perfectly designed for a small folder, and style, kind and size of a knife were I really like the comp lock!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

There’s been some mention of it including from myself after hearing about the Rex121 sample of the Sage 5 (though this steel/model combination is likely insignificant after hearing Sal’s comments on it in another thread), as well as the wording found in the new product guide.

It states that the Maxamet Sage 1 is “ushering in a new era by supercharging its Michael Walker Liner Lock.” To me, re-rerunning the Sages in different or “upgraded” steels like Maxamet is just another way to honor each locking mechanism, as per the Sage series’ mission, by “superchargering” them with other materials.
There was never actually anything beyond just the lock and design that stayed constant.
Each one had different handle materials and sometimes colors, bolsters, etc.

Similar to how the lightweight Sage 5 provides a way to expand the functionality and appeal of that iteration which honors the Compression Lock, so does making the Liner Lock Sage 1 in Maxamet and grey G10.

I could be off base, but I think the Maxamet Sage 1 is exciting in many ways, even beyond the Sage series!
It’s Maxamet from Taiwan, full production, a re-run of a design newer customers missed out on, and more.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I figured that the high performance steels would come on the LW model. Anything is possible I suppose, but I'm not betting any money.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have the Native 5 in Maxamet. Love the backlock. Looking for more blade.

If they run a Sage with a backlock or comp lock, and it has a larger Maxamet blade than the Native that I have, I'm in.

I have one liner lock in my entire collection, the S110V Military. Looking for more Maxamet but a comp lock or backlock!!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm

If they run a Sage with a backlock or comp lock, and it has a larger Maxamet blade than the Native that I have, I'm in.

I have one liner lock in my entire collection, the S110V Military. Looking for more Maxamet but a comp lock or backlock!!!!
Native has a 2.95" blade
Sage has a 3" blade

Sage has a little more edge length but not really a huge difference IMO
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd sell or trade just about any knife I have for a Sage 4 with Maxamet! Heck, even a regular Sage 4 :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Native has a 2.95" blade
Sage has a 3" blade

Sage has a little more edge length but not really a huge difference IMO
Doh! I can't win. Looking for 3.5 to 4. :D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JMM

Post by JMM »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I would love a Sage 4
Yes, they (Sage4) are out there, but man they are really difficult to find... it's the only one I'm missing from the (current) set of 8 and I've been looking for quite a while, you are absolutely correct about being ready & willing to snatch one up the second the right one at the right price becomes available... back to the hunt. :confused: :( :rolleyes:

On the Maxamet for the whole Sage series front, that seems really unlikely IMO, doing the same models/locks w/new steels seems like a great move, but I'd guess we'll have the answer when the "new" Sage2 drops. I'll probably pass on all remaining models except for the 3 & 4 if the whole series is done in Maxamet, if they are different steels I'll almost certainly get 'em all. ;)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:01 pm
I'd sell or trade just about any knife I have for a Sage 4 with Maxamet! Heck, even a regular Sage 4 :)
And there's the problem for me. I know it's going to sound selfish (it is) but to some of us the originals are kind of grails for us, especially the Sage 4. We spend time and money seeking out one of these desirable and somewhat hard to find knives. Then all that glory gets thrown out the window when a new and better version comes out. Yeah the original is still the original but suddenly it's not nearly as great as it was. Like it or not, for a lot of us, pride of ownership drives a lot of what's in our "collections". As cool as a new Sage 4 would be it would also be bittersweet for me.

Not to derail the topic but I feel similar when they CQI a new model. Take the Kapara for example. I have a nice first run Kapara that I really like. Apparently some people had issues and they CQI'd it to have a bushing pivot. Now all of a sudden nobody wants the original version anymore unless it's heavily discounted. It only makes sense that people would choose the CQI version over the non-CQI. I see people asking sellers all the time. "Is it the CQI version?". So now our original models just depreciated substantially because there was a rolling change done. I try not to worry about value of my knives much. I like my original Kapara and the changes are a non-issue until I decide to sell it. I know the changes are beneficial but it still bothers me a little
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm
You should. I should... ;)

Of the currently regularely available I´d like the grey linerlock one the most...if it was not in Maxamet.
The Sage 5 LW is also very intriguing! Perfectly designed for a small folder, and style, kind and size of a knife were I really like the comp lock!
Are you not a fan of Maxamet?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm
Are you not a fan of Maxamet?
From all I know of it: I totally am - in a way!

- I think it is a most fascinating steel in its properties
- I also think it is great that Spyderco really does production folders in this special steel, whick makes me in return even more a Spyderco "fan" ;)

I never had Maxamet so I can weigh in just in a limited way. But from all I know and read it is just not my kind of steel, practically speaking, calculating all its pros and cons and relate them to the price (which, don´t get me wrong, generally is perfectly fine for THAT steel!!)

I just like more balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening in my users (and all my Spydies are users).
I don´t need the extremely high edge retention, and combined with presumably a bit reduced toughness (?) and with the flipside that it certainly is harder to sharpen for an at max average guy sharpener like me would make me probably invest a higher price for a Spydie in other features than Maxamet.
I am generally just totally fine with steels like S30V, and REX 45 or HAP40 are "supersteel-ish" enough for me ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:01 pm
And there's the problem for me. I know it's going to sound selfish (it is) but to some of us the originals are kind of grails for us, especially the Sage 4. We spend time and money seeking out one of these desirable and somewhat hard to find knives. Then all that glory gets thrown out the window when a new and better version comes out. Yeah the original is still the original but suddenly it's not nearly as great as it was. Like it or not, for a lot of us, pride of ownership drives a lot of what's in our "collections". As cool as a new Sage 4 would be it would also be bittersweet for me.
I 100% agree and understand where you're coming from there. Especially being such a rare and sought after model, extremely unique in the Spyderco lineup.

I actually kind of feel the same way about these Z-Wear Shamans. Being able to get my hands on the original Cruwear model has a sentiment to it, and even more so because of the help of a wonderful forum member here, that sentiment will never go away. But with the Z-Wear drop, it does feel a little less special in a way.

Though I am happy for everyone that missed out on the Crucarta version and has been able to land this knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:15 pm
Hard to say what they'll do but I don't like the idea of them doing all the previous models over again. Rather than revisit the past I'd prefer them to focus on new versions using different lock types like the series is supposed to showcase.
Word up! Quit side/back stepping and bring Sage 6 please! :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Seems unlikely.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal