The spydie folder you would bring in a trip around the world

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

The spydie folder you would bring in a trip around the world

Post by elena86 »

I started a similar thread a few years ago but today was the day when I changed my mind about which spydie I would bring with me in a (virtual for now) trip around the world(legalities aside). I allways thought my beloved SE Pacific Salt in H1 is the chosen one. I still think it could serve me very well and might take care of almost any given cutting chore in almost any given environement. Well, today UPS called and brought me a black-red box I was waiting for some time. The mighty Caribbean leaf in spyderedge was inside and it took me only a few minutes before I realized what a superb folder this is. I like almost everything about it ; the blade shape, the serrations, the ergos, how thin behind the edge it is, you name it. The detent could be a little stronger but this is a non-issue for me. Sal, you did it again :spyder: Feel free to share your thoughts about your chosen spydie folder for a virtual trip around the world. I know that many of you would favor a fixed blade and that's ok :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Re: The spydie folder you would bring in a trip around the world

Post by JRinFL »

Due to various laws regarding knives/weapons and such, I would likely bring a Pingo. Non locking, two hand opening, "friendly" blade shape.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Just got a Caribbean and I agree, that's what I'd be taking.
And the native 5 salt to have something a bit smaller.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Either my Delica or a Spyderench.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

PE H1 Atlantic Salt. Good edge retention, non-threatening appearance, easy to sharpen with anything from a file to a smooth river rock, big enough to cut a sandwich.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

To be on the safe side, I'd carry this beauty. One I don't carry enough, but still claim as THE most comfortable knife I've ever held in my hands. No model is more ergonomically perfect for me.

Resized_20201110_090650.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 am
Due to various laws regarding knives/weapons and such, I would likely bring a Pingo. Non locking, two hand opening, "friendly" blade shape.

I allready mentioned were are talking a ''virtual'' trip with no legalities involved. Even so, I brought my SE Salt1 with me in Israel and never had any problems. Yes, Israel... that proves that all you need to do is to be discreet and wary even when legalities are tight. It was daring and stupid of me I know ...
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

elena86

Post by elena86 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 am
To be on the safe side, I'd carry this beauty. One I don't carry enough, but still claim as THE most comfortable knife I've ever held in my hands. No model is more ergonomically perfect for me.

I give you that. It has the best ergos for me too. The upcoming salty UKPK might even become a game changer when it comes to walkabout travel folders.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:08 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 am
I allready mentioned were are talking a ''virtual'' trip with no legalities involved. Even so, I brought my SE Salt1 with me in Israel and never had any problems. Yes, Israel... that proves that all you need to do is to be discreet and wary even when legalities are tight. It was daring and stupid of me I know ...
Yes, sorry I glossed right over that. It actually makes it harder for me to choose one, having more freedom in choice! Closest I can get would be some folder in LC200N or M390, back lock or CBBL. So if forced to choose one right now, it would be a Manix 2 in M390/20CV/204P. That could change in the next hour...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:13 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I give you that. It has the best ergos for me too. The upcoming salty UKPK might even become a game changer when it comes to walkabout travel folders.
Absolutely! If I had a need for a Salt series knife these days, that would be the one I would get!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd bring a UKPK or a Roadie. Maybe both, to rotate depending on jurisdiction.

I think the perfect knife for this would be the UKPK in LC200N. :)

If legalities were not involved? I'd probably bring my Manix 2 Maxamet, because it's my favorite and most frequent EDC.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Without restrictions, whatever larger Spydie I’m carrying for the day. Today, it’s my new-to-me Ayoob.

I could never fault a Pacific Salt or Caribbean, SE or PE, as mine get ample pocket-time through the year.

But, with current restrictions, it would be the upcoming Lil’ Native slipjoint, and until it drops, my K390 Urban. About as jurisdictionally-compliant as can be.

In the fantasy-world you have proposed, I might even take the Lil’ Native, based on the LBK sense I get with my much loved mid-lock version.

However, because my wife and I try to one-bag it (no airport check-ins), taking a Spydie with us is just not possible.

Our air-travel strategy is to buy a well-made knife that is locally traditional, then ship it home as a memento.

Never got around to it on our last adventure (Tuscany and Venice), in spite of opportunities, and felt utterly naked every time I tapped my RFP.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

It all depends what I am doing on this trip. If it is all hotels/airports as most of my trips are in reality, it would be a SAK climber, useful, discrete and essentially disposable.

If I am doing stuff in the woods and such and legality isn't an issue I would probably have a PM2, Sustain, and a native 5 Salt. Why, because I really like those blades, and between them they will likely do everything I need.

Next question is what would your sharpening rig look like? Just a double stuff 2, or some additional odds and sods...???
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 am
PE H1 Atlantic Salt. Good edge retention, non-threatening appearance, easy to sharpen with anything from a file to a smooth river rock, big enough to cut a sandwich.

This surprises me (good edge retention on PE H1). Never tried myself (just in SE), but it is not what people here normally say?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

This is what I´d carry too.. if I had one ;), and perhaps in the Salt SE version in a "be on the safe side" - scenario - it would be really annoying if while on a trip around the world some cop took my only knife from me!!

If I´d risk that though: Pac Salt SE ffg.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I usually bring something I wouldn’t mind losing or having stolen. Probably a base model Delica. Truthfully probably something even more expendable.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

If laws weren’t an issue, that makes the choice even more difficult! :)

I would probably choose a basic Para 3 LWT. Even though I don’t own the LWT version yet, I like the G10 Para 3, and for travel I’d rather tote around a thinner, lighter version. For the type of travel I’d be doing, I probably wouldn’t need anything bigger than that.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think everybody has a different version of a trip around the world.

For me it would involve a lot of outdoor time. Whether on the water, or in the woods, or mountains, or whatever.

For others it could be going from one big city to the next.

I would probably go with some salt series option. Actually a combo edge pacific salt seems appropriate. So I guess a serrated edge pacific salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm
I think everybody has a different version of a trip around the world.

For me it would involve a lot of outdoor time. Whether on the water, or in the woods, or mountains, or whatever.

For others it could be going from one big city to the next.

I would probably go with some salt series option. Actually a combo edge pacific salt seems appropriate. So I guess a serrated edge pacific salt.
Yep.

If I were doing a trip around the world, it'd surely be by bicycle.

I'd switch out my UL carbon fiber road bike I use for US tours for something more rugged, like a cyclocross or MTB, and instead of a Pacific Salt I'd likely go fixed. I'd be spending a lot more time setting up camps in forests than lounging around in cities.

Probably Aqua Salt or Street Bowie. Something light but sturdy with plenty of cutting edge.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-21994UvZrU
:unicorn
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am
spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 am
This surprises me (good edge retention on PE H1). Never tried myself (just in SE), but it is not what people here normally say?!
I think H1 is probably the most unfairly maligned steel wrt edge retention. I think most of the negative feedback is from people who are repeating what they've heard, not sharing personal experience. It's not the best but it certainly holds it's own compared mid-tier steels. I've posted this before, but a few years ago I had occasion to cut 200+ feet of dirty bike box cardboard with PE H1. The knife cut great and would still shave after.