Lil’ Waterway

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Lil’ Waterway

Post by elena86 »

I like my Waterway quite a lot but I rarely get to use it since my playground is mostly urban. Sometimes I wish I had a small Spyderco edc fixed blade beater, dedicated to the urban(and surroundings) life style but with a rustproof carefree blade. A 3 incher lil’Waterway would be perfect but with the edge all the way to the handle.That “ricasso” is in the way for me. I hope Lance is not kayaking deep in the ocean these days and has the time to chime in :D I also hope and pray that Sal would enjoy the idea of a small edc fixed blade in LC200N. I allready own and enjoy a superb custom made little fixed blade designed by our higly gifted fellow forumite Chad Kelly(aka Explorer42) but I would like to add a similar spydie to my collection.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Re: Lil’ Waterway

Post by vivi »

Swicks check most of those boxes ;)

So do street beats. They're pretty dang close to rust proof, being coated vg10.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:52 am
I like my Waterway quite a lot but I rarely get to use it since my playground is mostly urban. Sometimes I wish I had a small Spyderco edc fixed blade beater, dedicated to the urban(and surroundings) life style but with a rustproof carefree blade. A 3 incher lil’Waterway would be perfect but with the edge all the way to the handle.That “ricasso” is in the way for me. .....

Great idea!

/ Vivi, I never handled either Street Beat or Swick, but I think the former has a thicker blade and thicker handle than a 3" Waterway would (which can be a pro or con of course, depending on what one wants in a particular scenario), and the Swick just less cutting edge...?

What I´d like to see in a 3" Waterway:
- Keep the thin profile of the handle, perhaps make it even thinner for great (IWB...) carry (and get a Street Beat for a knife for prolongued use with more handfilling handle!)
- Perhaps give it a slightly thinner blade than the "full size" Waterway has (so lets 2.8 mm instead of 3.1)
- And YES, on a 3" version edge all the way to the handle (while I do like the Ricasso in the full size!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't see that handle texture working for a small EDC blade that might be carried IWB, in the pocket, etc. Smoother is better for that role IMO. Something more like the Ronin 2 scales would be more suitable IMO, but micarta would beeven better ;)
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:59 pm
I don't see that handle texture working for a small EDC blade that might be carried IWB, in the pocket, etc. Smoother is better for that role IMO. Something more like the Ronin 2 scales would be more suitable IMO, but micarta would beeven better ;)

True!
So for me: Same slim, or even slimmer handle, but in that role and in a smaller WW: Smoother ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'm in.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I suggested a Sgian Dubh in lc200N with a 3 to 3.5 inch blade. A Sgian Dubh is a Scottish knife usually worn in the sock when wearing a kilt. There is a poll going on right now for people to vote for fixed vs folder and blade size.

Grizz
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gdwtvb wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:50 pm
I suggested a Sgian Dubh in lc200N with a 3 to 3.5 inch blade. A Sgian Dubh is a Scottish knife usually worn in the sock when wearing a kilt. There is a poll going on right now for people to vote for fixed vs folder and blade size.

Grizz

I read that thread and like the idea!
But:Can´t recall right now: The Sgian Dubh is single edged, right? So not double edged like a dagger?
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:47 pm
gdwtvb wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:50 pm

Grizz

I read that thread and like the idea!
But:Can´t recall right now: The Sgian Dubh is single edged, right? So not double edged like a dagger?
An actual Sgian dubh is traditionally single edged...at least according to Wikipedia. A Spyderco version would ONLY be single edged due to legal restrictions.

Best I can tell it was the Scottish equivalent of a general EDC knife, small fixed blade in the 1800's. Carried in the sock of the dominant hand side. Calf holsters are common for divers, I imagine a sock holster was actually a pretty good idea when wearing a kilt. I am hopeful that Spyderco makes one, and hopeful that they go with Lc200n as well. Multi use.

Grizz
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting discussion. I actually have an EDC sized fixed blade design that Chad Kelly is making a prototype for now. It is a 3.5” based on the Mini Siren handle. It’s a very different blade from the Waterway but it does have an edge that goes all the way to the handle. The blade is taller too leaving the cutting edge level with the bottom of the guard. I think it will be very useful as a small EDC.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I like the idea material wise, but the waterway is very much designed to fit the hand at its size, you can make it longer but messing with dimensions in any other direction will mess with the absolutely perfect ergonomics. But to be fair I trust Lance more than anyone to come up with that smaller edc fixie.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm
Interesting discussion. I actually have an EDC sized fixed blade design that Chad Kelly is making a prototype for now. It is a 3.5” based on the Mini Siren handle. It’s a very different blade from the Waterway but it does have an edge that goes all the way to the handle. The blade is taller too leaving the cutting edge level with the bottom of the guard. I think it will be very useful as a small EDC.

:eek: Now we need a "Lances casual bombshell thread" too... ;)

/ Sounds great!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:46 pm
I like the idea material wise, but the waterway is very much designed to fit the hand at its size, you can make it longer but messing with dimensions in any other direction will mess with the absolutely perfect ergonomics. But to be fair I trust Lance more than anyone to come up with that smaller edc fixie.

Agreed on both the absolutely perfect ergos of the Waterway and that it can´t just be "scaled down" in the same form and shape.
At least the handle shape had to be different when smaller: The design that the "upper" / "spine" part of the handle is longer than the "lower" part where the fingers sit wold not work any more (since there would not be enough grip area anymore for all four fingers).
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm

:eek: Now we need a "Lances casual bombshell thread" too... ;)

/ Sounds great!
If you want to see it..here's some sneak peak WIP pics for everyone to enjoy...don't tell Lance ;)

Here's his new EDC just out of cryo with ice crystals forming on the surface

Here it is in the hardness tester. :cool:

Admittedly it's kinda hard to get a feel for the overall look of the knife in these close-ups..that's on me ;) , but maybe if you look really hard.. :D :p

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I can't wait for this one.
--Jeremy
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

:p :p :p
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I love the design of the Waterway and Siren, so I imagine that EDC fixed blade will be cool too!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: