Which spyderco is in the mail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Which spyderco is in the mail?

Post by SG89 »

Man I really want a new spydie but I don't know what to get
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Maple Chap? :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Caribbean :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Shaman. Never handled one before, ordered it on a whim.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:11 pm

Cool.

I actually could handle one once. Totally loved the feel in hand, almost could not put it down again ;)
I am close to getting one quite often, but then always (so far at least...) rationality kicks in and I think about the features I "should" not like too much: Thicker blade than I´ll ever need, pretty heavy, rather short edge, comp. lock... but I am sure, should I get one in my hands once more this would all not count any more. But just the amazing feel in hand and how cool this thing actually is! :)

Furthermore, the "base" S30V model probably would be my favorit variant of all since I love the stonewashed look of the blade.
Sure, Micarta insted of G10 would not be bad either, but that for me is true for almost every knife.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:58 pm
vivi wrote:

Cool.

I actually could handle one once. Totally loved the feel in hand, almost could not put it down again ;)
I am close to getting one quite often, but then always (so far at least...) rationality kicks in and I think about the features I "should" not like too much: Thicker blade than I´ll ever need, pretty heavy, rather short edge, comp. lock... but I am sure, should I get one in my hands once more this would all not count any more. But just the amazing feel in hand and how cool this thing actually is! :)

Furthermore, the "base" S30V model probably would be my favorit variant of all since I love the stonewashed look of the blade.
Sure, Micarta insted of G10 would not be bad either, but that for me is true for almost every knife.
I'm curious what I'll think of it.

Its the handle that sold me. The shape looks very ergonomic and the contouring similar to a fixed blade is something I want to support with my wallet. The lack of a thumb ramp also caught my eye.

I'm still not big on comp locks and the cutting edge is a bit short, but I suspect my expected love of the handle may outweigh the drawbacks.

It was the second picture of this post that pushed me over the edge. The scales look so much better than the other models in that photo.
Dazen wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm
First off, this knife is unbelievable! I’m not even a huge back lock fan and I freakin love this thing!

Secondly, it is just what I thought and it is in between the peel-ply and smooth. I actually love the way it feels, smooth with a slight orange peel texture. I love the matte finish too.

I may have a second on the way later today, but I have to keep it a secret for now because its on ebay for MUCH lower than the knife should sell for :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Dang, lost out on a NIB Bradley Bowie for $139. Sniped at the last second.
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I ordered a Spyderco Emphasis UPS tracking says it will.be here tomorrow.

Signalman
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I have a Mule Team 28 SPY27 inbound. Can't wait to try Spyderco's very own Crucible steel!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
vivi wrote:

Its the handle that sold me. The shape looks very ergonomic and the contouring similar to a fixed blade is something I want to support with my wallet. The lack of a thumb ramp also caught my eye.

I'm still not big on comp locks and the cutting edge is a bit short, but I suspect my expected love of the handle may outweigh the drawbacks.

It was the second picture of this post that pushed me over the edge. The scales look so much better than the other models in that photo.

Well, Vivi, I know how this will end: You´ll advocate for a Shaman XL... ;)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

vivi wrote:Shaman. Never handled one before, ordered it on a whim.
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:28 am
vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
vivi wrote:

I've had one for a couple of months. While the ergonomics are almost Millie-perfect for me, the comp lock made me sell it. I find liner- and backlocks much more natural to use, less intrusive and discomfort-inducing.
Maybe my grip is weird, but outside of the lock there was nothing much at fault on the Shaman.
The thick stock is appreciated because it makes it a sturdy folder, but I too wished it had an extra inch of edge.
The straight spine made it a really good camp knife too !
The Rex handles were a little too smooth to my liking however.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
vivi

Post by vivi »

I quite like using a compression lock. My concern is how well they hold the blade shut. A few years ago I had issues with that, but I think it might have been partially due to the pivot screw coming loose. So if I like the overall design enough (Millie, Shaman, Yojumbo, ATR2) I've decided to give detent based locks another chance.
Wartstein wrote:

Haha, well when "xl" models feel regular sized to me, it tends to follow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 am
I quite like using a compression lock. My concern is how well they hold the blade shut. A few years ago I had issues with that, but I think it might have been partially due to the pivot screw coming loose. So if I like the overall design enough (Millie, Shaman, Yojumbo, ATR2) I've decided to give detent based locks another chance.
Wartstein wrote:

Haha, well when "xl" models feel regular sized to me, it tends to follow.

Funny, as you probably know the comp. lock for me is also not my preferred type when it comes to the most versatile lock.
But for pretty much the opposite reasons:
- I never, ever had a comp. lock even slightly come open in my pocket and so this happens not to be a concern of mine at all
- I totally like the ingenious comp. lock on smaller, more (for me) "urban" carry folders - for me that would be something like the Sage 5 LW. Perfect design, and the comp.lock fits it really well
Where I prefer other locks is outdoor- and use with gloves. Just cause for me it is a bit harder to operate than other locks with numb fingers in gloves, plus in prolongued, harder use the comp.lock cutout on the top of the handle makes for a high possibility of a hotspot.
I´d really like to see a CBBL Shaman... but I guess that would be too close to Manix / Manix XL, and one could perhaps just give those models rounded scales and achieve pretty much the same result...
Patko

Post by Patko »

Spyderco Shaman Z-Wear PM Sprint Run folding knife C229MPZW :)))))
--mitja
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

A TiCN and pink delica. I couldn't resist this one!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Received my Z-Wear Shaman yesterday, just ordered P4 LW/K390....
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

KC exclusive s90v Green Native.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 pm
KnifeCenter? Don't see anything on their website.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:11 pm
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:44 pm
KnifeCenter? Don't see anything on their website.
The Knifecenter exclusive Native was released a few years ago. I love the color and the knife overall. While I like the handle, some have complained the G10 is too smooth. Overall, a very elegant carry!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A CF/S90V Military Model sprint from 2008. Simplicated with lightness added. Oh, yeah!
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”