Spyderco Military (C36) type of pivot, what are they on current models ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Spyderco Military (C36) type of pivot, what are they on current models ?

Post by Xformer »

The PM2 has a stepped-pivot, there are no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Military (C36, the pocketsword), I read a lot of conflicting report about the current type of pivot it's using.

Some says it used to be a regular pivot, but has been updated to a stepped-pivot. Some say even current models don't always have stepped-pivot and come with the old model of pivot. Some says it depends on the model you get...

What's the final answer on it ? I'm referring the current models Spyderco sells.

I'd also like to know what kind of pivot this model is using and if there's a way to tell just from pictures : https://www.knivesandtools.fr/fr/pt/-sp ... c36tip.htm (regular pivot or stepped pivot) ?

Thanks !
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Military (C36) type of pivot, what are they on current models ?

Post by Evil D »

This is a first release batch S110V Military.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Bump for answers ?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

CQI models of the Military use the same stepped pivot setup the PM2 does. Other changes included using a single-piece stop pin instead of the older 2-screw stop pin setup, and a larger lanyard hole. If you want to know whether a (Ti) model has been CQI’d or not, such as the one in the pic you refer to, simply look at the size of the lanyard hole - if it’s a large one like the one in the pic, then it’s an updated version with the stepped pivot. If it has a small lanyard hole, then it’s a pre-CQI version. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 am
Bump for answers ?

I thought I did answer :confused:

If the model you're looking at has the floating stop pin (as in, it doesn't have screws above the pivot and has what looks more like a rivet) then it will also have the stepped pivot. If you see screws instead of the floating pin, it's the old D bolt style pivot.
~David
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 am
Chapp wrote:
Bump for answers ?

If the model you're looking at has the floating stop pin (as in, it doesn't have screws above the pivot and has what looks more like a rivet) then it will also have the stepped pivot. If you see screws instead of the floating pin, it's the old D bolt style pivot.
You did, but I can't identify pivots just with pictures, I'm not that experienced. I don't disassembly my knives a lot. Last time I did, I messed something on a chaparral TI.

Thanks both of you. Luckily, the one I bought is CQI'ed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:38 am
Evil D wrote:
Chapp wrote:
Bump for answers ?

You did, but I can't identify pivots just with pictures, I'm not that experienced. I don't disassembly my knives a lot. Last time I did, I messed something on a chaparral TI.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

~David
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Chapp wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Chapp wrote:
Bump for answers ?

Amazing and sorry for putting you to work =D

Yeah, that makes the Military a very compelling choice to me. I really need the longer blade than the PM2. The features are nuts for the price. Kudo to Spyderco. I hope they'll keep the linerlock because I have to use it with hands.

I have a TI model coming that I bought on Ebay, but as a user, I need a blade that is easy to sharpen and strong (in the bending sens), something close to 1095. Do you have a steel you would suggest ? A sprint run I should look for ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Chapp wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Amazing and sorry for putting you to work =D

Yeah, that makes the Military a very compelling choice to me. I really need the longer blade than the PM2. The features are nuts for the price. Kudo to Spyderco. I hope they'll keep the linerlock because I have to use it with hands.

I have a TI model coming that I bought on Ebay, but as a user, I need a blade that is easy to sharpen and strong (in the bending sens), something close to 1095. Do you have a steel you would suggest ? A sprint run I should look for ?

Maybe look for a 52100 sprint.
~David