More Chaparral Variants

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cricket Bite

Re: More Chaparral Variants

Post by Cricket Bite »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:24 pm
I personally would love to see a SOLID carbon fiber model. Plain, marbled or shred would be great, but if Spyderco wanted to take it to another level it could be done in Blackwood.
The Chaparral has an internal stop pin on the blade. I assume you could you mill out a path for the stop pin in the carbon fiber, but would the pin hitting the carbon fiber (over time) damage the scales?
Not sure but I think he just was intending it to be a solid carbon fiber with steel liners. I would also love this. The current carbon fiber model is the G10 laminate. I am not a fan of the laminate version myself either. Of course maybe he was talking about solid CF and no liners???
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have 4, and one on the way, I love it the way it is, the XHP, the slicey-ness, ergos, leave all of alone, but heck yeah to micarta or any other awesome new scale material... bring 'em on! :D
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think micarta is inevitable, so moving beyond that, any type of wood is nice, and maybe some day we can have that glow in the dark uranium raffir.
Also, shredded money. Euros only for the European market...
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:33 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:24 pm
I personally would love to see a SOLID carbon fiber model. Plain, marbled or shred would be great, but if Spyderco wanted to take it to another level it could be done in Blackwood.
The Chaparral has an internal stop pin on the blade. I assume you could you mill out a path for the stop pin in the carbon fiber, but would the pin hitting the carbon fiber (over time) damage the scales?
Not sure but I think he just was intending it to be a solid carbon fiber with steel liners. I would also love this. The current carbon fiber model is the G10 laminate. I am not a fan of the laminate version myself either. Of course maybe he was talking about solid CF and no liners???

As much as I would like a linerless Chap, I meant exactly this ^^
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I'd like to see a fatty version. Same blade, same exact handle shape, just much thicker contoured scales. Some of us go clipless and don't mind the girth.

Grizz
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I think it would be neat to see a chaparral with titanium scales and unique engravings like this:

Or titanium with Micarta inlays like this:

Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gdwtvb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:33 pm
I'd like to see a fatty version. Same blade, same exact handle shape, just much thicker contoured scales. Some of us go clipless and don't mind the girth.

Grizz

It might surprise you, since I always praise the very thin profile of the Chap while still having very good ergos.
But: 100% YES to your idea anyway!!! (Even WITH a clip)

Makes total sense: The Chap has such a superior slice-y thin blade, that bladewise I´d always take the Chap when going for a small folder to do real cutting tasks.
So it would be great to have a fat and contoured handled Chap when working for a longer period of time with this amazing blade!

This is actually so obvious that I am a bit puzzled the idea did not come up earlier or at least more often...

Of course, it could also be a different, newly developed thick handle/thin (2.00 mm) blade model, but actually the Chap would give a great platform for it anyway, and "all" that would have to be done is "just" attaching thick, rounded scales to the liners..

Now thinking about your idea: If I had more than one Chap I´d actually strongly consider giving one of those thick, rounded custom scales! What an amazing little work knife that would be!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Kirinite. We need Kirinite.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

French knife maker Roland Lannier does some really interesting stuff with handle scales. Here are some of the materials that he uses: I wouldn't mind seeing something really unique. Of course, that may not play well with the larger knife audience.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I agree about a plain titanium version being an attractive idea. I also hope for a bolstered version.

It's too bad they ditched the hidden lockbar/backspacer screws (presumably to streamline production after the FRN), the Birdseye Maple would have really benefitted from hiding them like the original CF model.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:56 am
Kirinite. We need Kirinite.
After seeing the Mule from the giveaway and how awesome it looks, yeah Kirinite is a good idea!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Well I just want one with a full SpyderEdge :cool:

You guys can choose the handle material!
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:02 pm
Well I just want one with a full SpyderEdge :cool:

You guys can choose the handle material!

Yes. That would be so nice.
I think we never had that yet: SE in 2mm ffg, right?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

I don't mind the extra screws. Yes, the knife looks better without them. But I am sure it helps keeping the scales nice and tight against the liners. Such a thin knife, wouldn't take much to warp scale material.

I am down for smooth titanium. With CF inlay? Wouldn't need the extra screws.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 am
It's too bad they ditched the hidden lockbar/backspacer screws (presumably to streamline production after the FRN), the Birdseye Maple would have really benefitted from hiding them like the original CF model.
Agreed! I think the additional exposed screws are definitely a downgrade
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 am
If I had more than one Chap
I can't believe you only have one! You're constant high praise of the Chap has me looking at them more lately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 am
If I had more than one Chap
I can't believe you only have one! You're constant high praise of the Chap has me looking at them more lately.

Well, in some way I can´t believe it either... ;)

But I enjoy the hobby most, when at any point in time I have 10 Spydies at max, which in return all can get carried and used frequently (except backups for the discontinued Stretch 1).
Now, I am actually not a small folder guy at all and all and still pretty practical thinking (for a knife nut... :rolleyes: ), and so the Chap FRN is all I have at the moment.
But: I know at some point I have to have both the sun and moon and the maple Chap. Perhaps I´ll even find one used...

/ Just "looking at them"?? Man, get one! ;)
No, kidding aside: Even if you won´t keep it forever, the Chap is something to experience for everyone who loves extremly well designed, pure cutting tools!