Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by nerdlock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:24 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:13 pm
Mine came from KW today. Feels a little grippier than the Cru-carta did out of the box from what I can remember, which is a good thing. I waxed my old Cru-carta one with Drumstick wax which gave it a lot more grip, but it does darken the color. I'll probably use this as-is for now and add wax later if it needs it.

The scales DO have a smell by the way. Smells like...VICTORY! :D

Victory indeed. :) You and Budda are the real MVPs in this quest, this struggle, for many of us to get this knife. Thanks for the timely updates on the other thread. Thanks for helping instead of complaining when people legitimately voiced out their frustration in their attempts to secure one.
Sorry, but it's honestly pretty annoying to read the non stop complaining already about missing these drops. There's been what, like 10 out of 30+ distributors that have had a drop so far and people are spending hours at their computers and losing sleep over a freaking knife??? It's a bit ridiculous. You got yours, and your still complaining about people complaining about the drama queens, almost every post you make. Never took you for that person, but you seem to be the ring leader of it when it comes to this knife. There are still sooooo many opportunities, panicking this early just looks foolish. Some of these distributors that have had mini drops, still have more coming. Sal is not a liar and wouldn't steer people wrong on his forum. People need to chill out and remain patient. It's a **** knife, not a cure for cancer for christ sake :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if that is what you are feeling about this whole situation. Most of us are/were voicing our frustration at not hooking up despite several tries, and the last time I checked, free speech was still allowed in this forum. What surprises me is that while we were voicing out our sentiments at no one in particular, you choose to single me out, and indirectly also blast the others who did not get this knife.

TkoK83Spy wrote:
You got yours, and your still complaining about people complaining about the drama queens, almost every post you make. Never took you for that person, but you seem to be the ring leader of it when it comes to this knife.

Where exactly in my posts do I complain? You are the one complaining about people like us exercising our free speech. And worse, you're calling people "drama queens". Who hurt you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're the one complaining and calling out people over not using their knives and making them safe queens. What gives you the right to tell people what to do with their knives? If they want to put it in a safe, it's their money, their call, their decision. :rolleyes:

You could have helped with the search, you know. I did, I posted here to archangel/Michael pointing him to St. Nicks after I got mine, even though I do not claim any credit for his success because I know some other members have helped him too. And I am genuinely happy that Michael and the others who were frustrated got their Shamans because of the help of the forum members. It would have been greatly appreciated if your gesture could have been like Budda, steelcity and the other members who were helpful enough to point out new drops even though they got theirs.

You of all people should know that during my short time here, I've always been respectful of forum members even though sometimes I disagree with their viewpoints. I've never called any member here names or called them out on their behavior unless it specifically violated the spirit of the forum rules and regulations.

Also, how about double-standards? You complain of us whining and complaining when we did not insult other forum members, yet, you defend crux who was openly arrogant and hostile to forum members in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80548&start=160 as someone who should be pardoned for his behavior because he is only just a "major para 3 enthusiast", and even be condescending to new members who did not know who that guy was. Well, aren't we also passionate and enthusiastic about this knife that we cannot help but be disappointed everytime we waste our precious time losing out on another drop?

In fact, I've noticed that you have a combative behavior if people do not act according to what you deem proper. I noticed it right when I first joined last year during the photo contest. Then you being combative with Gernot/Wartstein for several posts that Kristi had to edit out your posts. Now this. Maybe you're the one who needs assessment of how you interact with others online?

I'm sorry Rick, I thought of you as a forum friend even if you did not seem to think of me that way. I've always tried time and again to interact with your posts even through your negative episodes here. But this time, it's too much. You accusing me of being a "ringleader" of something that is so baseless, that I cannot let pass without calling you out too for your behavior.
Last edited by nerdlock on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
archangel

Post by archangel »

Some people need to lose sleep over it cause they live in different times zones. When US dealers drop a potential grail at noon their time, our overseas eastern forumites usually dream of their next dream Spydie during their night's sleep. Unless they stay up to actually get a chance to score one.

The heart wants what it wants. The body follows. I do understand the frustration if you missed out on the first like ten drops. Knowing that there will come 20 more does not really beat that sour feeling.

As to the last few posts: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Order status: shipped :rolleyes:
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Just got mine today, and wow what a knife! It's been a good week for Spyderco collecting, as I was also able to score a Mule today with sheath and scales.

The only small gripe I have is right out of the box on the show side are some dark marks on the Micarta, almost look like greasy fingerprints but I doubt that. They look a lot worse in person. I tried to clean them off with magic eraser to no avail. Oh well, I was going to try and get two, one to use and one to keep in the safe. I'm still on the hunt for my second.

Any idea on how to clean this off or is it marks from the manufacturing process?

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine had those same spots when I got mine last year. They'll disappear and blend in the more you carry it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:13 pm
Mine came from KW today. Feels a little grippier than the Cru-carta did out of the box from what I can remember, which is a good thing. I waxed my old Cru-carta one with Drumstick wax which gave it a lot more grip, but it does darken the color. I'll probably use this as-is for now and add wax later if it needs it.

The scales DO have a smell by the way. Smells like...VICTORY! :D

Victory indeed. :) You and Budda are the real MVPs in this quest, this struggle, for many of us to get this knife. Thanks for the timely updates on the other thread. Thanks for helping instead of complaining when people legitimately voiced out their frustration in their attempts to secure one.
Sorry, but it's honestly pretty annoying to read the non stop complaining already about missing these drops. There's been what, like 10 out of 30+ distributors that have had a drop so far and people are spending hours at their computers and losing sleep over a freaking knife??? It's a bit ridiculous. You got yours, and your still complaining about people complaining about the drama queens, almost every post you make. Never took you for that person, but you seem to be the ring leader of it when it comes to this knife. There are still sooooo many opportunities, panicking this early just looks foolish. Some of these distributors that have had mini drops, still have more coming. Sal is not a liar and wouldn't steer people wrong on his forum. People need to chill out and remain patient. It's a **** knife, not a cure for cancer for christ sake :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if that is what you are feeling about this whole situation. Most of us are/were voicing our frustration at not hooking up despite several tries, and the last time I checked, free speech was still allowed in this forum. What surprises me is that while we were voicing out our sentiments at no one in particular, you choose to single me out, and indirectly also blast the others who did not get this knife.

TkoK83Spy wrote:
You got yours, and your still complaining about people complaining about the drama queens, almost every post you make. Never took you for that person, but you seem to be the ring leader of it when it comes to this knife.

Where exactly in my posts do I complain? You are the one complaining about people like us exercising our free speech. And worse, you're calling people "drama queens". Who hurt you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're the one complaining and calling out people over not using their knives and making them safe queens. What gives you the right to tell people what to do with their knives? If they want to put it in a safe, it's their money, their call, their decision. :rolleyes:

You could have helped with the search, you know. I did, I posted here to archangel/Michael pointing him to St. Nicks after I got mine, even though I do not claim any credit for his success because I know some other members have helped him too. And I am genuinely happy that Michael and the others who were frustrated got their Shamans because of the help of the forum members. It would have been greatly appreciated if your gesture could have been like Budda, steelcity and the other members who were helpful enough to point out new drops even though they got theirs.

You of all people should know that during my short time here, I've always been respectful of forum members even though sometimes I disagree with their viewpoints. I've never called any member here names or called them out on their behavior unless it specifically violated the spirit of the forum rules and regulations.

Also, how about double-standards? You complain of us whining and complaining when we did not insult other forum members, yet, you defend crux who was openly arrogant and hostile to forum members in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80548&start=160 as someone who should be pardoned for his behavior because he is only just a "major para 3 enthusiast", and even be condescending to new members who did not know who that guy was. Well, aren't we also passionate and enthusiastic about this knife that we cannot help but be disappointed everytime we waste our precious time losing out on another drop?

In fact, I've noticed that you have a combative behavior if people do not act according to what you deem proper. I noticed it right when I first joined last year during the photo contest. Then you being combative with Gernot/Wartstein for several posts that Kristi had to edit out your posts. Now this. Maybe you're the one who needs assessment of how you interact with others online?

I'm sorry Rick, I thought of you as a forum friend even if you did not seem to think of me that way. I've always tried time and again to interact with your posts even through your negative episodes here. But this time, it's too much. You accusing me of being a "ringleader" of something that is so baseless, that I cannot let pass without calling you out too for your behavior.
It appears Z-Wear is both bringing this forum together and tearing it apart! :(
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Mine had those same spots when I got mine last year. They'll disappear and blend in the more you carry it.
Yeah, I figured it's just the nature of Micarta. Just weird as none of my other Micarta scaled knives have had those blemishes out of the box.

Still kind of a bummer as even though I use 90% of my knives I still keep them clean, oiled and looking good as I do with my tools, cars, etc. I'm a little OCD sometimes. Oh well, I'm just happy I snagged one.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Yeah, I figured it's just the nature of Micarta. Just weird as none of my other Micarta scaled knives have had those blemishes out of the box.

Still kind of a bummer as even though I use 90% of my knives I still keep them clean, oiled and looking good as I do with my tools, cars, etc. I'm a little OCD sometimes. Oh well, I'm just happy I snagged one.
They're not blemishes... They're personality! :p
Or you can consider them victory marks... There's probably still a lot of people that would cut off their best friends finger for that knife! :D
•• Beau
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Or you can consider them victory marks... There's probably still a lot of people that would cut off their best friends finger for that knife! :D
Oh I know sir and I'm forever grateful because you are the one that made it possible for me to aquire one! Thanks again!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Oh I know sir and I'm forever grateful because you are the one that made it possible for me to aquire one! Thanks again!

It was nothing... I'm happy you're happy! Except for those personality marks. I think they'll grow on you though. :p
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

So, I'm still watching...
Knife Joy
Cutlery Shoppe
Fradon Safe&Lock
EdgeWorksOnline
National
Mke
DltTrading
Knife Center
Blade Hq
Blademans
And a few others that i haven't seen any action at yet.
Those are all authorized dealers. Except maybe National. I can't find them in the dealer locator but i don't see how they couldn't be, right?
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:58 pm
So, I'm still watching...
Knife Joy
Cutlery Shoppe
Fradon Safe&Lock
EdgeWorksOnline
National
Mke
DltTrading
Knife Center
Blade Hq
Blademans
And a few others that i haven't seen any action at yet.
Those are all authorized dealers. Except maybe National. I can't find them in the dealer locator but i don't see how they couldn't be, right?

A gold medal for Buddafucco for continously finding sources and helping others get Sprints and Exclusives! Well done!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I'm the same way - I use all my knives, but still like most of them to look nice. I don't like patina, etc. Those could just be oil spots, in which case you could try scrubbing the scales with dish soap. But as others have said, the oils from your skin will naturally seep into the micarta and give it a "micarta patina." Even with my love of clean-looking knives, I still love how micarta ages. You could also rub a light coat of mineral oil into your scales now, which would darken everything to match the spots.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I'm the same way - I use all my knives, but still like most of them to look nice. I don't like patina, etc. Those could just be oil spots, in which case you could try scrubbing the scales with dish soap. But as others have said, the oils from your skin will naturally seep into the micarta and give it a "micarta patina." Even with my love of clean-looking knives, I still love how micarta ages. You could also rub a light coat of mineral oil into your scales now, which would darken everything to match the spots.

I use rubbing alcohol to remove oil from micarta scales with good results. With normal use though it will even out.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I feel you there on the OCD! I've been carrying a specific knife for a week at a time lately, using it at work each day. Every day I get home, I have to clean all the tape gunk and whatever else from the blade. The scales get dirty but do my best to wait until the end of the week to clean those, but it does eat at me a bit.

I post some pics of mine tomorrow from when it was new and how they look now. Hopefully it can help ease you a bit :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Illumination

Post by Illumination »

Well the scalpers are already out... someone already flipping theirs on Ebay...

Wish there was a non-sprint version. I'd love to buy one of these but not sure I've got the stamina to keep checking a dozen-plus dealers continuously.

Received in stock notice from a couple I signed up with months ago but by the time I could get online they were gone.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I use rubbing alcohol to remove oil from micarta scales with good results. With normal use though it will even out.

+1 on the rubbing alcohol. The higher percentage the better. Get the 90% if you can find it at the store or order some 99% from Amazon. I use it to clean almost everything.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:12 pm
Dazen wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Cscottsss wrote:

+1 on the rubbing alcohol. The higher percentage the better. Get the 90% if you can find it at the store or order some 99% from Amazon. I use it to clean almost everything.

That might certainly work.
But could also turn your Shaman into a "Drunken"... :p ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Cscottsss wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
(off topic)
... but you still might try it on your K390 Endela? :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

JuPaul wrote:
I'm the same way - I use all my knives, but still like most of them to look nice. I don't like patina, etc.

+1

Who likes scratches on their new cars? :confused:
Michael