Yojumbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Yojumbo

Post by vivi »

Haven't noticed anyone posting about the Yojumbo. Anyone here own one and carry it? I've been craving a nice wharncliffe folder and this one caught my eye.

I had a Yojimbo 1 and 2 at one point but have sold both. I liked the overall design but found the blade a bit small.

How's the detent on them?
:unicorn
Frozenspyder

Re: Yojumbo

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm actually carrying the one I got on the online seconds sale right now. I carry it pretty regularly.

I prefer bigger knives and really like the size of the YoJumbo. As for the detent, mine isn't quite as strong as I'd like, but it's still good enough. The knife is a second though so keep that in mind regarding my thoughts on the detent.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its been at the top of my short list. I will have one at the beginning of summer hopefully.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

36DCF421-B759-4F4F-B813-8AB5EC758B5A.jpeg
Lucky enough to have one of each. Detent is fine on both, the Yojimbo is the easiest knife I have to Spydie-Flick. The YoJumbo did take awhile to break in but is butter smooth now.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I don't have one, but it's on my list, I have however been carrying the Canis a fair bit the last couple weeks and I really like it... not to say it's better or worse than the YoJ*mbo line, just different. They are both fantastic Wharnie implementations.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's on my list, I just don't have an urgent need for a dedicated self defense knife and I really prefer SE these days so there are others standing in the way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I was afraid that if I bought the Yojumbo, the Native Chief in S90V would show up and I'd be S.O.L. Now that my order for the Native Chief in S90V is in, I can concentrate on getting my 2nd Province, 2 Boltaron sheaths for my Provinces, and the Yojumbo.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 pm
It's on my list, I just don't have an urgent need for a dedicated self defense knife and I really prefer SE these days so there are others standing in the way.
This is what I thought too. Since getting one, I've found the YoJumbo works surprisingly well as just a general use knife though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 pm
This is what I thought too. Since getting one, I've found the YoJumbo works surprisingly well as just a general use knife though.
That's what I'd be carrying one for.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I got a Yojumbo at the 2nds sale. It wasn't very high up on my list of wants because it's designed with self defense in mind, but it was intriguing and the price was to good to pass up. I really want to say this was my knife surprise of the year. It has that loveable shape to it. The blade shape and size works great for me doing utility type stuff. The extra grippy g10 is great (but i keep forgetting to do a little sanding under the clip). The splinter picker tip and the hallow grind are great. I've gotten used to the nub in the lock area, my finger tip moves before it gets hit now. My detent seems decently strong, i wouldn't call it crisp though. I can shake it out but it's a pretty strong shake. I guess I would compare it to the Manix2 XL in the way it feels in my pocket, it doesn't exactly disappear right away but it does eventually. The problem for me is the finger groove humps. I'm on the skinnier finger side of a 2xl glove and one hump lines up with my middle finger and the other hump lines up with my pinky. I still like using it though.
It's also a hit with non knife people. Everytime i show it to someone they immediately turn around to show someone else how awesome my big murdery knife is. :eek:
•• Beau
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I liked the size of the Yo2, but found the handle too “squirty” feeling in hand with the tapered butt. I hoped the Yojumbo would be an improvement there, and it did not disappoint. The size along with the awesome grip on the G10 make for a very secure grip.

I think if you like wharnies, since you’re already a fan of large blades, you’d like this one Vivi. It is a large knife, but slim in width making pocket carry not as cumbersome as the specs might indicate. I’ve enjoyed mine as an edc.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

The Yojumbo I received directly from Golden has the most secure detente of any compression lock Spydie I've handled (over 50 for sure).
Knife is big when open but really not very large in pocket. G10 is super grippy! Given your likes Vivi, I think you would appreciate it for EDC use.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 pm
The Yojumbo I received directly from Golden has the most secure detente of any compression lock Spydie I've handled (over 50 for sure).
Knife is big when open but really not very large in pocket. G10 is super grippy! Given your likes Vivi, I think you would appreciate it for EDC use.

Agree 100% I have been EDC mine for, geez, coming up on a year? I put a deep pocket clip on it and even though it's a beast, it's invisible, yet highly accessible

inertia opening is a snap
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

I've had a Yojumbo for a few weeks now, and I really dig it. Technically it was designed with SD in mind, but it does EDC stuff just fine. Hollow grind isn't as tall as the one on my Yo2, but it still slices well. Detent is strong, and the enlarged opening hole and its location when closed make opening it easier for my thumb size than the Yo2 out of the box (my Yo2 is modded to reveal more opening hole when closed to overcome this). Balance is where the index finger rests behind the guard, so it still feels agile despite its size. Handle redesign feels nice in my M/L sized hands. When it's open youll notice that your thumb rests along a different portion of the blade than the Yo2 (the spine swoop isnt a thumbrest anymore), it's not a bad thing it's just different. The grippy G10 is a nice touch, I bent my pocket clip out a little to reduce the wear against my pocket, YMMV. The little bit of tang that hangs out in the comp lock area isn't a big deal to me, so I'm not gonna grind it away like other people have.

If you like wharnies and big blades youll probably dig it. It scratches all the right places for me when I want to carry a big knife that cuts well and is easy to open.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll likely order one of these in DLC before this Spring.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:17 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll likely order one of these in DLC before this Spring.
Vivi! Thank you for telling me that there are DLC Yojumbos! I just checked and there are preorders. I just cannot do it today, but now it's on my radar.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you for your discussion and feedback on the YoJumbo. I'm very glad to hear that yours are getting some good pocket time and and serving your utilitarian needs well.

The feedback I've gotten from my ham-handed MBCers has also been very positive so far, and though there is no one-size-fits-all handle design that doesn't look like a broomhandle, it seems the ergos work well for most people.

Again, thank you.

Stay safe,

Mike