What happens to your knives after you die?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What happens to your knives after you die?

Post by Doc Dan »

When you are younger you think you are going to live forever. When you pass 60 and leave it behind you really start thinking about what is going to happen to your stuff. Now, my wife is not really interested in knives, except her Dragonflies. I have stopped buying so many knives but I am still buying them. But, I got to thinking about what she would do with them. She has no idea of their value. I told her that when in doubt, ask here.

In any case, I have thought of writing a list of some she might want to keep and others to sell and the various values at the time. There is no one else to leave them to, so what do I do? I have thought of selling them off, but since I am overseas that is a real pain in the rear end to do. I might clean house and get my collection down to a few that I always use or take out and admire. I really do not want to burden her. Of course, I could just forget all of this and let the looters take them after I am gone.

What are you all going to do with your knife collections?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TKCSA

Re: What happens to your knives after you die?

Post by TKCSA »

Interesting question! I keep a spreadsheet on my PC with an up to date inventory of my knife collection as well as other pieces of expensive gear. This way I can easily keep track of when I bought something, what I paid and where I bought it. Comes in handy when you least expect it - I also list serial numbers and so forth on the same document to assist in case of insurance claim.

The document is password protected with the login code neatly contained within my will. I guess after I pass away my next of kin can at least sell it again for close to what it is worth if they so choose.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

bequeath them to someone.

I would seriously consider someone whose name rhymes with roblikon...

Just saying

But seriously, my mother started off loading tons of stuff well before she needed to, because she didn't want to leave us with a bunch to deal with after she passes. So, I would whittle down to what is important to you, and like you say, she can decide what to do from there.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It won’t matter to me at that point.

If I still have them I guess my son can do whatever he wants with them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My children can select the items from my collection that they like. I told my wife to ask the help of a close friend of ours who is also into knives if she wants to sell the rest.

I don't have as big a collection as some folks, and all of the knives I have are users anyway, so it's not that big a concern for me. I have thought about it though, as I am also getting on in years.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hopefully mine will be gone before I am, but if not, my wife will be stuck unloading them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I know a collector with an amazing custom collection. He has everything in a binder with pictures descriptions and prices for his wife. He also has other people's contact info in there. People she can call who are also collectors and will pay her fair prices for them.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a document that I created for insurance purposes, a complete inventory, broken out by steels, year purchased, brand and model, with list price and what I paid. At the top of the document I have written:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I hereby leave my entire knife collection to my family and the USMC. Please allow my surviving family members choose a few knives and the complete video and book collection, then drop the remaining knives off at the nearest USMC Recruiting Station ASAP after my death.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 am
I'll be dead. It doesn't matter. I'm suffering from no illusions that the stuff I think is cool will be cool to anyone else. If my heirs want any of this junk, just take it. If friends want any of it, just take it. If friends of friends want it, just take it. If they know a poor family who can use any of it, give it to them.

I've been through this a couple times, so let me give you perspective. My wife an I have a well-equipped household. We don't NEED more stuff. Someone dies, and now there's another well-equipped household to deal with. Maybe they have some cool stuff. But we can't take it all, because there's no room for more stuff. It's usually possible to find someone who wants some of the more noteworthy items, but not the mundane stuff. Do you want to spend the next two years ebaying doilies and knick-knacks so you can make a few extra dollars? Not me. Time is too precious. So you hire someone who specialized in liquidating estates. Their buyers are mostly eBay resellers who can only pay bottom dollar if they are to make any profit. So the whole estate sells at lowball prices. Then the auctioneer takes his cut. And don't forget the tax man who takes a big slice of the remainder. So in the end, your heirs get a few bucks for your cherished collection.

My advice? Make it clear to your executor that friends and family can just have what they want. Don't saddle anyone with junk they're not interested in.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

When I die I will be free from the burden of knife addiction
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm
When I die I will be free from the burden of knife addiction
I wouldn't call it a burden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kids/wife take whichever ones they want if they want any, the rest they can sell or do whatever helps them out. If/when I have grandkids they'll get their share too. I like the thought that my kids may dig through them and find ones that they remember me using and keep them, I have a few duplicates that I originally thought would be "pre-need replacements" but will more likely go to them or maybe fetch a few bucks someday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

They get buried with you, laid around your body like a pharaoh, you will take them for protection in the afterlife.
Hundreds of years later they will be looted from your tomb (if your family have hid you well enough).
Only the H1 and LC200N models will have survived, the rest will be piles of rust......
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:47 am
They get buried with you, laid around your body like a pharaoh, you will take them for protection in the afterlife.
Hundreds of years later they will be looted from your tomb (if your family have hid you well enough).
Only the H1 and LC200N models will have survived, the rest will be piles of rust......
Hahah, this is a good one :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:32 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:47 am
Hahah, this is a good one :p
:D
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Doc Dan wrote:
When you are younger you think you are going to live forever. When you pass 60 and leave it behind you really start thinking about what is going to happen to your stuff. Now, my wife is not really interested in knives, except her Dragonflies. I have stopped buying so many knives but I am still buying them. But, I got to thinking about what she would do with them. She has no idea of their value. I told her that when in doubt, ask here.

In any case, I have thought of writing a list of some she might want to keep and others to sell and the various values at the time. There is no one else to leave them to, so what do I do? I have thought of selling them off, but since I am overseas that is a real pain in the rear end to do. I might clean house and get my collection down to a few that I always use or take out and admire. I really do not want to burden her. Of course, I could just forget all of this and let the looters take them after I am gone.

Brother, I learned as a very young kid who watched his dad break his neck and die as a result, nothing material matters when we are gone, and they don't matter that much while we are here either.
Even our most cherished possessions hold little value when we are gone, except their monetary value to your family.
They are just here to bring us interest, understanding, creativity, enjoyment and pastime etc when we are on this plain.
Even many of his possessions have little meaning to me to this day, because he is in my heart so much, his possessions feel a bit lifeless and meaningless.
When your knives are finding new owners after you are gone, hopefully you'll be on your next journey and it will be full of love and happiness, your knives won't matter then.
And that's what we carry to our next lives, what's in our hearts, the kindness, love, deeds where you added special moments to others lives, all this I believe makes your spirit glow brighter and wiser over lifetimes.

Anyway, im dribbling on now lol, sorry.

Cheers
James Y

Post by James Y »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Brother, I learned as a very young kid who watched his dad break his neck and die as a result, nothing material matters when we are gone, and they don't matter that much while we are here either.
Even our most cherished possessions hold little value when we are gone, except their monetary value to your family.
They are just here to bring us interest, understanding, creativity, enjoyment and pastime etc when we are on this plain.
Even many of his possessions have little meaning to me to this day, because he is in my heart so much, his possessions feel a bit lifeless and meaningless.
When your knives are finding new owners after you are gone, hopefully you'll be on your next journey and it will be full of love and happiness, your knives won't matter then.
And that's what we carry to our next lives, what's in our hearts, the kindness, love, deeds where you added special moments to others lives, all this I believe makes your spirit glow brighter and wiser over lifetimes.

Cheers

Great post, Salty Dog.

Jim
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

James Y wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Cheers

Great post, Salty Dog.

Jim
Cheers Jimmy, hope your weekends a good one mate.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

My darling daughter gets them.

Just more daft stuff to remember her dad with.... plus I'll rest easier knowing she has a Civilian if she needs one ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:14 am
Cheers Jimmy, hope your weekends a good one mate.

You too, my friend.

Jim