Spydercos you pair with NON Spydercos (inspired by Cambertree) - pics appreciated!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lumpy620

Re: Spydercos you pair with NON Spydercos (inspired by Cambertree) - pics appreciated!

Post by Lumpy620 »

Usually I have two folders in me at work or otherwise, either a larger :spyder: and a smaller "other", or vice-versa. Last couple days it's been these:
PXL_20210210_133604803_copy_2016x1512.jpg
PXL_20210210_134139399_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Outside hiking and whatnot, 99% of the time it's the Serrata and my my old case mini copper lock. But a folding :spyder: usually sneaks its way into the pocket as well somehow. :o
PXL_20210210_135240122_copy_2016x1512.jpg
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
dj moonbat

Re: Spydercos you pair with NON Spydercos (inspired by Cambertree) - pics appreciated!

Post by dj moonbat »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:08 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am
I’m not familiar with these “NON Spydercos” of which you write, OP. Do you mean like forks and spoons?

Yes, that´s what I mean. Spyderco did not take my prototype CBBL folding spoon and comp.lock folding fork over into production yet, so they´re technically not Spydercos ... ;)

But forum brother Menipo and I are workin on it! :D viewtopic.php?p=1491576#p1491406
Just when I was starting to lose faith in the infinite weirdness of the Internet.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Feeling some regret with selling a few of these, as I've been scrolling through my pics. Like getting that GB2 BRAND NEW off ebay for $119 back when you could get coupons and make offers. I can't bring myself to buy another at the price their at these days :(

Resized_20190212_115445.jpeg
Resized_20200114_090608.jpeg
Resized_20190726_103817.jpeg
Resized_20210122_120036.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I have mostly Spyderco knives (about 75%), so chances are better than average that my "pair" will consist of two Spydies in my pockets on a given day.. The constant for me for me though is my Manbug. It's been in my left-front-pocket every day since I bought it about a year ago. Even on the days that I carry a non-Spyderco knife, I still always have the Manbug!

Scrolling through old pics, I found a couple of my trusty Manbug accompanying some Spydie and non-Spydie brethren..

]Image

Wish I had more "pair pics" to share.. nice idea for a thread! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:52 am
Feeling some regret with selling a few of these, as I've been scrolling through my pics. Like getting that GB2 BRAND NEW off ebay for $119 back when you could get coupons and make offers. I can't bring myself to buy another at the price their at these days :(

Thanks for sharing "pairs" for already the second time in this thread! :)

I hoped you´d do so, since I could remember some of your nice "Spydie / non Spydie" pics from previous threads.
Especially the Shaman and small Sebenza pair is absolutely beautiful. Each knife in a very different manner.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 am
Resized_20210208_163648.jpeg
Resized_20200623_100547.jpeg
Resized_20191004_082512.jpeg
I bet your coworkers give you a wide berth. How do even carry a monstrosity like that? :p :D
Haha, yea that crazy one is more for show and just stays in my truck. It's pretty far out though and actually fairly comfortable in hand gripping it blade up or down. Not the best for edc though! :p
:confused: How CAN you even grip it (on the handle)?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:13 pm
Thanks for sharing "pairs" for already the second time in this thread! :)

I hoped you´d do so, since I could remember some of your nice "Spydie / non Spydie" pics from previous threads.
Especially the Shaman and small Sebenza pair is absolutely beautiful. Each knife in a very different manner.
It was a great thread idea! I had fun scrolling waaaaaaayyyyy back in my phone taking a trip down memory lane haha!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 am
Resized_20210208_163648.jpeg
Resized_20200623_100547.jpeg
Resized_20191004_082512.jpeg
I bet your coworkers give you a wide berth. How do even carry a monstrosity like that? :p :D
Haha, yea that crazy one is more for show and just stays in my truck. It's pretty far out though and actually fairly comfortable in hand gripping it blade up or down. Not the best for edc though! :p
:confused: How CAN you even grip it (on the handle)?!
I suppose if you have large hands (I wear mens large glove, though something between a medium/large would be perfect for me most of the time) this handle wouldn't work for you. I hold it with my index and finger finger in one section of the handle and my ring finger and pinky in the other. I mean, I clearly don't carry this thing around with me :p But, just fiddling around with it, it's not uncomfortable.

-Rick
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Back 2 Black...

notorious fidgeteer
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20200611_112044.jpeg

-Rick
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

I needed an adecuate partner for my san mai master hunter.

And this is my favorite combination:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PSquared wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45 am
Could you post a comparison pic of your Rambler to some Spyderco? More a well known one (Delica, Para 3, PM2, Endura, Manix, whatever... )?!
I’m travelling at the moment. I’ll be home over the weekend and post some photos

Thanks! But just if it is no hazzle at all four you. Not too important, there are enough vids about the small Vics out there to get a good impression of the sizes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 am
Resized_20200611_112044.jpeg

I was kind of waiting for this pair of yours.... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Explorador wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 am

Three of the knives VERY nice! :)
That Marauder though makes me think (but also want to try myself): That unusual second guard thing? Good idea or not?
Might be great for chopping by locking in the hand and preventing it from slowly slipping towards the back of the handle, but then:
When chopping one grabs the handle more backwards often times, so BEHIND that second guard, plus the knife has some "hook" at the handle end anyway (plus for chopping a long lanyard is the best option imho anyway)?
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Here’s the full-metal mixed pair I’ve been favoring lately:
24C23479-C1AC-496B-B15D-47A5F0DCAD15.jpeg
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 am
Explorador wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 am

Three of the knives VERY nice! :)
That Marauder though makes me think (but also want to try myself): That unusual second guard thing? Good idea or not?
Might be great for chopping by locking in the hand and preventing it from slowly slipping towards the back of the handle, but then:
When chopping one grabs the handle more backwards often times, so BEHIND that second guard, plus the knife has some "hook" at the handle end anyway (plus for chopping a long lanyard is the best option imho anyway)?
The Marauder is a controversial knife, I know. But for me the function defines the form, and this is my grill-grail. On grill days, my hands are greasy and sweaty, and I DON'T want to risk this magna blade to slip out of my hands, specially when cutting my "asado" above the flames. So the sub-hilt gives me the sure feeling I need to concentrate on the cut.

It is a matter of taste, of course, and without trying is difficult to imagine how it works in action. But I am very pleased with the knife itself and thankful for the sub-hilt.

TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

I enjoy carrying the Kizer T1 along with my Centofante3. They make a great pair!

derp

Post by derp »

Hiking pairing

Police 4 LW K390|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT Cruwear|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hey Wartstein, my friend. :)

Thanks for starting this cool thread, and I’m honoured you enjoyed the other Pairs thread I started.

Sorry I haven’t posted sooner here, but I wanted to include pictures, and I’m having trouble doing that at the moment. (Related to the phone I use to post with, not with the image hosting site.)

Anyway, it’s been very interesting to see what ‘Others’ people here pair with their Spydies.

I like lots of different kinds of knives - kitchen knives, traditional slipjoints, choppers and bushcraft tools, professional cutting tools like fish and meat processing blades and so on, as well as my Spydies.

I often like to consider the versatility a pairing of blades will offer in a particular task.

Like others here, I often have a Swiss Army Knife paired with a Spydie, for the tools they offer.

Mostly that’s a Soldier that my brother brought back as a gift from Switzerland for me. It’s also sometimes a Swisstool or the alox Pioneer or Electrician. A Classic is never far away, as I use that for the tweezer and toothpick mainly, although I’ve popped many a bottletop with the screwdriver/file.

When I’m hunting, I usually pair the Stretch with a custom Loveless style drop point in S30V, made by Adam Parker, the president of the Australian Knifemakers Guild.

My traditional slipjoint pairing is usually a Sheffield made Lambsfoot knife which I can use in more urban, social type scenarios.

If I’m just doing some camping, I’ll usually have my Becker BK9 along with the Spydie of the day. I’ll often use this in the garden as well, along with one of my Salts.

When cooking, I like to pair either my PE or SE Z-Cut with one of my Japanese kitchen knives - generally a Shigeharu funayuki made in Kyoto.

https://openkyoto.com/real-kyoto-knives ... gu-knives/

Thanks for the cool thread. Knife pairings are always an interesting thing to consider. :cool: :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Looking forward into the future, when it lands, I'll be pairing an LC200N serrated UKPK Salt with a lot of knives Spyderco & non.