Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Post by Bemo »

Let me start by saying I'm really enjoying my Q-ball and am so glad I picked one up on clearance. I think Eric did a great design. I would love to see this rebooted in the future with the CBBL. In the mean time, I got my Manix out to look (futilely, again) at the CBBL in the Manix for a possible transplant (yes I know, the ball bearings are different sizes). And I got to comparing designs. They have much in common (hmmm, why would that be? Perhaps the same hand designed them?). I love Wharncliffe blades, that's part of what makes the Q-ball so attractive to me. In looking at my G10 Manix, there is plenty of room for a Wharncliffe blade there. Does this sound attractive to anyone else? Really interested in your thoughts.
Rinzler

Re: Q-Ball/Manix hybrid

Post by Rinzler »

I’d be interested in that. I was so close to buying a qball but never did because I had to pull back on the ball with my fingernails. If it were a manix style cage instead of the ball then it would be perfect.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

That's what I think every time I pick it up. Redone with the CBBL and it would almost be like a mini-manix. I got my rockjumper out and the Wharnie blade on that is same size as the Manix blade (minus choil on the Manix of course).
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm skeptical of needing to grab a spring-loaded stainless steel ball. What if your hands are sweaty? Oily? Greasy? Wet? Wearing gloves in the snow? I've never handled a Q-Ball. How's it work under adverse conditions?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great idea! :)

I totally like the looks and design of the Q-Ball AND I´d also totally like to see more CBBL knives of any kind!
And the QBall looks a lot like in my opinion a (wharncliffe) "Lil Manix" should be designed!:
NOT just transferring the handle shape to a smaller size, but getting rid of the "secondary guard" and rear-end "parrot beak".
Those features work great in the larger Manix size, but would only get in the way and restrain grip area too much in a smaller size.

So YES! :)
And perhaps, for folks like me, a linerless (and more affordable) FRCP LW variant, just like with the Manix.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 pm
I'm skeptical of needing to grab a spring-loaded stainless steel ball. What if your hands are sweaty? Oily? Greasy? Wet? Wearing gloves in the snow? I've never handled a Q-Ball. How's it work under adverse conditions?
I've had a Q-Ball for a while, and your concerns are definitely valid. It's not a knife to use in adverse weather conditions or whilst wearing gloves. It is however a very well designed EDC Wharnie folder. It takes a bit to break in but once it's broken in it's got great fidget-fun-factor, and it's super easy to sharpen ;)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Yes that is the weakness of the design. I've tried with work gloves and it's a no go as well. And depending if the arthritis in my thumb is acting up it's not a fidgetable (not a word?) design. Hence my wanting a CBBL instead. I think it is a capable work knife as it is stout and really fills the hand nicely.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 am

I totally like the looks and design of the Q-Ball AND I´d also totally like to see more CBBL knives of any kind!
And the QBall looks a lot like in my opinion a (wharncliffe) "Lil Manix" should be designed!:
NOT just transferring the handle shape to a smaller size, but getting rid of the "secondary guard" and rear-end "parrot beak".
Those features work great in the larger Manix size, but would only get in the way and restrain grip area too much in a smaller size.

And perhaps, for folks like me, a linerless (and more affordable) FRCP LW variant, just like with the Manix.
Absolutely agree about the handle differences between the models. It's a great design lesson really, I think I read Sal say something about this too, that making a smaller model isn't just about taking the outline of the original, putting it on a copier and hitting reduce by 25%.

I actually much prefer the handle of the Q-ball over the Manix. I think because of the pointiness of the parrot beak on the Manix. Absolutely makes for a super secure grip though.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like wharncliffe blades, but one of the reasons i love the manix so much is that we get that slight negative blade angle with just enough belly to make it function similarly to a wharncliffe without being one. i also happen to think the handle on the manix is basically perfect. while i like many other knives, none feels as good to me as my m2lw. the only thing i'd like to see changed is the pins being switched for screws. i do think a ceramic ball like the q-ball has would be cool though. and i'd like to see a m2lw salt in lc200n, but apparently that's a pipedream.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd have bought a qball if it was caged. I find uncaged BBLs too awkward to operate.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I, too, have doubts, based on my Dodo.

Its BBL—and the Q-Ball’s, I imagine—does require a more careful pinch than a Manix2 does, and would make a thumbnail-alone opening impossible, which seems to me to run counter to the Glessers interest in maximizing function.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:12 am
i like wharncliffe blades, but one of the reasons i love the manix so much is that we get that slight negative blade angle with just enough belly to make it function similarly to a wharncliffe without being one. i also happen to think the handle on the manix is basically perfect. while i like many other knives, none feels as good to me as my m2lw. the only thing i'd like to see changed is the pins being switched for screws. i do think a ceramic ball like the q-ball has would be cool though. and i'd like to see a m2lw salt in lc200n, but apparently that's a pipedream.

The Manix handle shape IS perfect indeed, but I don't think it would still be when scaled down while keeping that exact same shape.
"Second guard" and "parrot beak" at the rear end would not work anymore and just get in the way in a smaller size.
The QBall does it right in being smaller as a Manix and not having those two features (which, again, work great in the Manix 2 cause it's larger...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I had a QBall. Fantastic ergonomics and a small-but-highly-functional, utility-minded, Wharncliffe blade. There was a lot to like about the knife, but I could never warm-up to the BBL for all the reasons mentioned above.. simply put, I barely carried the thing because it was so much more of a PITA to disengage the lock than pretty much any other knife that I own. The QBall is one of only a small handful of knives that I've ever sold.

I think the BBL was a huge mismatch for the QBall considering (what I assume were) its intended uses as a utility-style knife, versus all of the factors that make the lock-type more difficult than others to actuate. I think a similarly designed, utility-style knife definitely has merit, but it would have to be significantly easier to disengage the lock one-handed for me to consider buying.. I'd be in on a Manix/QBall hybrid, (or even a QBall 2!), so long as it featured a CAGED BBL! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Would it be possible to put a cage around the BBL? Or does anyone make an aftermarket replacement? I held at a Manix 2 the other day but thought it was a bit large compared to something like a Benchmade Mini Grip or Bugout.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:15 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:12 am

The Manix handle shape IS perfect indeed, but I don't think it would still be when scaled down while keeping that exact same shape.
"Second guard" and "parrot beak" at the rear end would not work anymore and just get in the way in a smaller size.
The QBall does it right in being smaller as a Manix and not having those two features (which, again, work great in the Manix 2 cause it's larger...)
i must've misunderstood... i would agree that just scaling down the handle would ruin the ergos. it might make it perfect for people with smaller hands though.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:

i was just looking at the chaparral and i think it looks like the closest thing i've seen to what i'd imagine a mini manix would look like. it's got all the same elements in the handle shape, blade shape, and blade angle. no wonder you like it so much. it would be cool to see a ball lock in such a thin model.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Here are 3 of Eric's great designs. Hopefully you can see some of the design elements that start out as subtle in the Q-ball and get more pronounced or through the models. Heck could almost do a time lapse morph thing if the lock on the Domino was different. I think I would agree that in spirit the Q-ball is really a mini Manix. My apologies for the quality of the pic, still working on it.
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Here are 3 of Eric's great designs. Hopefully you can see some of the design elements that start out as subtle in the Q-ball and get more pronounced or through the models. Heck could almost do a time lapse morph thing if the lock on the Domino was different. I think I would agree that in spirit the Q-ball is really a mini Manix. My apologies for the quality of the pic, still working on it.
That is a very interesting progression, thanks for the photo.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Before yesterday I was only excited for one knife, a premium steel kapara. Today I’ve been reading all these well thought out critiques of the qball and suggestions on how to improve its design. I’m now excited and hopeful that these ideas are heard and could one day be implemented into such a design as is being discussed here. I originally wrote that I would be “interested”, but now I change that to I would be a buyer. After thinking about this all day I have to say that this hypothetical knife is something that I would daily carry.

Hoping this takes off...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
i was just looking at the chaparral and i think it looks like the closest thing i've seen to what i'd imagine a mini manix would look like. it's got all the same elements in the handle shape, blade shape, and blade angle. no wonder you like it so much. it would be cool to see a ball lock in such a thin model.

It absolutely would! :)
And also would be interesting to see, HOW thin they could still keep it when giving it a ball lock.