Hello from Alberta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Hello from Alberta

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Hi everyone. I figured it was time to introduce myself. My name is Scott, I live just outside of Calgary Alberta Canada and am I'm another long time lurker of the forum. I've had the knife sickness for about 25yrs now and bought my first spyderco (native5 frn) in 2007. Im guessing I have about 25 spydercos and about 60 knives total now :D. Big fan of the manix2, pm2, and military as my usual edc. Really liking rex45 if I had to choose a favorite steel right now. Maxamet never ceases to impress also. That may change when the cruwear pm2 gets up here though! Can't wait. I have a decent knife collection overall. A few to mention would be a couple Randalls, a Fallkniven Frej (personal fave), Bob Dozier whittler, Chris Reeve large sebenza w desert ironwood inlays and i was lucky to pick up three one piece Chris Reeve knives before production ceased too. Most knives are users but I will admit to having about 10 safe queens. My babies :p . I work construction and love the outdoors (avid shooter too, a whole other sickness that has eclipsed my knife collection! :D ) so have lots of opportunity to put my blades to work. And they get used a lot! Bought an Edge Pro a few years ago and full set of diamond stones so no problem putting a sick edge on anything these days. Worth every penny. The "bite" that maxamet has w an edge in 1100 diamond always makes me smile. Angry steel that stuff. Love it. This is only the second forum I've ever joined. Not a big online fan due to the high percentage of d-bags. A lot of forums I've checked out seem to have that toxic element that creeps in. Not here though! I have to say, well done people! Who would thunk that a buncha knife wielding maniacs (kidding of course......kinda) could be so civil and maybe even agree to disagree once in a while! World peace through knives. Makes sense to me! Cheers everyone. Scott
Explorador

Re: Hello from Alberta

Post by Explorador »

Hi Scott,

nice introduction indeed. And quite a collection too. So you like to take pics of knives? A good pic of a spydie is well appreciated in this forum, I dare to say.

This forum is a lucky strike.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Marcelo.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome Scott. My brother lived in Calgary for several years and I have been fortunate enough to spend time in your beautiful city and the surrounding mountains. This forum is an absolute wealth of knowledge with kind people throughout and you already seem quite knowledgeable! I hope that you enjoy your time here and learn as much as I have from being a regular. Take care.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome aboard!

This forum is indeed an island of civil discourse in an angry sea of social media.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Welcome to the party, eh!

Snow machine parking is around back. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Hello!
Alberta is a really cool place to be. Very different from here in Florida, but I know a thing or two about the fossils up there and man are they sweet!
The Rex steels certainly look good to me (not just because of the dinosaurian name), though I haven’t yet used them. It’s on my to do list!
Look forward to seeing you around! :)
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome fellow calgarian!

There are a few albertans active on the board

Great group of people here
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hi Scott! Welcome! :)

This is indeed a great place, and I look forward to hearing your contributions!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome Scott! :)

Nice introduction and nice that you took the time for it!
Hope you´ll contribute one or two things about how your Spydies and different steels, edges, lock types.. behave in real use - that´s what I personally like to read to most.
Well, and nice knife pics from the outdoors... ;)

Do you happen to have your Millie in REX 45? This would be the one I´d choose out of all variants I guess.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TJB

Post by TJB »

Welcome from Bonnyville Alberta!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Scott, TJB,

Welcome to our forum. We've got quite a few Canucks here.

Hey Scott, thanx much for the inteerst and support through the years. I think this forum is a great group; Knowledgeable, Civil and Respectful.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have exceptional taste in knives :cool:
:unicorn
Albertaboyscott

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. I look forward to supporting and contributing to the community.

Warstein- i have two rex45. Manix and manix lightweight. I missed out on the milli as I was building a 22-250 at the time. Choices had to be made.

Marcelo- its supposed to be a high of -20ish here this weekend so should have time to break out a few from the collection and attach a picture or two. Im largely computer illiterate so ill do my best.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Welcome. :) You have some nice knives.

Hey, this is kind of a random question, but is it true you have no rats in Alberta?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Welcome Scott.
Albertaboyscott

There's a few that they find once in a while but not often. Not sure why. Probably too **** cold!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi Scott! Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hey Scott, from Alberta, Canada! Although this is no hockey forum, there are a few believers here. We all know that hockey is THE ONLY SPORT and the rest of them are posers. :D

Are you going to beat the Jets tonight!!!

This is a really good knife forum.
Last edited by Naperville on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Welcome to the forum, Scott!

Jim