Deleted thread? I have a question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xrob

Deleted thread? I have a question

Post by xrob »

Hello all,

I see that a thread about where to buy a Lil Temp has gone missing. I (and at least one other forum member) had a post in there that referenced a place to buy it with a link to the site. I am not sure why the thread was deleted, but it's possible this was the reason.

As such, I have re-read the forum guidelines and see that posting links is prohibited (although the section that discusses this seems somewhat vague as it appears to also prohibit the transmission of "information"– perhaps this is an error). But, several (and I mean several) people have links in their posts, signatures, etc. Many posters also include pictures, which seems also to be prohibited as well. I think links/pictures definitely benefit the forum, and would hate to see them prohibited as the FAQ states.

I apologize for violating the forum guidelines (if this is what has been done), but I just want to be clear for the future. Is it not appropriate to mention other sites where Spyderco knives can be bought? I hope this is not the case as there are several sites discussed here daily and I have benefitted from said discussions when it came to purchasing Spyderco product.

Thank you in advance for the clarification,

xrob

p.s. here is the quoted piece from the FAQ for reference:

"Do not transmit via Spyderco Forum any information, data, text, files, links, software, chat, communication or other materials."
Ted

Post by Ted »

xrob, that quote from the guidelines is probably a bit silly - it would make the forum pretty useless if followed strictly.
It's not allowed to actively sell or trade your knives, or promote an auction of any kind.
Asking where to find a discontinued model is AFAIK tolerated.

Why that thread was deleted I don't know. The thread contained a link to a dealer that sold them for less then $90, (aveg. internet price was $120, retail +$200) so maybe the thread-starter thought he found a gold mine and is now buying all the remaining stock. :D

I still don't like the idea that thread starters can delete an entire thread.

Ted
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Ted wrote:xrob, that quote from the guidelines is probably a bit silly - it would make the forum pretty useless if followed strictly.
It's not allowed to actively sell or trade your knives, or promote an auction of any kind.
Asking where to find a discontinued model is AFAIK tolerated.

Why that thread was deleted I don't know. The thread contained a link to a dealer that sold them for less then $90, (aveg. internet price was $120, retail +$200) so maybe the thread-starter thought he found a gold mine and is now buying all the remaining stock. :D

I still don't like the idea that thread starters can delete an entire thread.

Ted
YES I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT, THREAD STARTERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DELETE THREADS. TO MANY POOR THREADS HAVE BEEN DELETED ALLOWING PEOPLE TO MOUTH OFF AND THEN ITS JUST GONE, COVERING THERE TRACKS. #9
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Hey me being abale to delete my threads helps save my *** sometimes. I love the feature.

sometime my posts just get to out of control. They need to be stopped. I dont see a need to burden the moderators with this when the OP can do it.
xrob

Post by xrob »

That sub $90 link was mine. I thought it would help people out as I know that knife is getting hard to find. Oh well, does anyone remember who the original poster was? I'd like to know if the thread was deleted due to improper forum use or otherwise.

x
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

XRob,
It's not likely that we (Spyderco) deleted the thread. We try to be fairly hands-off and only delete postings or threads when serious issues arise (profanity, threatening behavior, harassment, etc.). It would be my guess that whomever started the thread deleted it.

I hope this info helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

xrob wrote:That sub $90 link was mine. I thought it would help people out as I know that knife is getting hard to find. Oh well, does anyone remember who the original poster was? I'd like to know if the thread was deleted due to improper forum use or otherwise.

x
You wouldn't want to try it again would you xrob?
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

In the original thread the poster asked if anyone would sell him a Lil' Temp - not where he could buy one. That is against the Forum rules and possibly why the thread was deleted. However Carlos used to delete the text with a note as to why he edited it. When the whole post is just deleted the reason is unclear.

Sorry xrob - Since the original post was contrary to Forum guidelines, I'm not going to ID the poster - .

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
aquaboy420

Post by aquaboy420 »

xrob,

If it is no trouble to you, could you please PM, or email me that link, pretty please. Thanks a lot. Rock on!!

-greg
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

4 s ter wrote:In the original thread the poster asked if anyone would sell him a Lil' Temp - not where he could buy one. That is against the Forum rules and possibly why the thread was deleted. However Carlos used to delete the text with a note as to why he edited it. When the whole post is just deleted the reason is unclear.

Sorry xrob - Since the original post was contrary to Forum guidelines, I'm not going to ID the poster - .

David
I deleted the thread, and this is the reason why.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Mystery solved.

Thanks Carlos!!

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

aquaboy420 wrote:xrob,

If it is no trouble to you, could you please PM, or email me that link, pretty please. Thanks a lot. Rock on!!

-greg
Me too?! Thanks! ;)
xrob

Post by xrob »

Carlos et al,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the answer and explanation,

x
thom lambert

Post by thom lambert »

Sorry about that. I was really looking for a trade. If someone could PM me the links to a place to buy a Lil Temp, I would appreciate it.

Thom