Para 3 LW in Cruwear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ric

Re: Para 3 LW in Cruwear?

Post by Ric »

Would love to get one!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have that base well covered already. ;) Doesn’t hurt that I much prefer the N5 over the P3.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:23 pm
I have that base well covered already. ;) Doesn’t hurt that I much prefer the N5 over the P3.

Very nice pic! :) (Though you should donate it to forum-brother Mushroom... ;) )

Such pics are a "danger" for me, in that they make me think the Native 5 LW could be my "next Manix 2 LW" - a model I had, liked a lot, but sold in the end and thought I´d never come back to it. But then I did. Might happen with the Native too, and why not in Cruwear. I too prefer the N5 platform a lot over the P3.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:32 pm
I swear if the centering issues could be fixed either by a remold of the interior or cqing another washer, it would be the perfect lightweight knife for me. I see many Para3 LWs being sold on the secondary more than the standard Para3, possibly because of this design issue.

Nonetheless,I thoroughly enjoy my 3 LWs in M390, REX45 and Spy27. Hoping for more exclusives to grow the family.
I know that only having one washer messes with a lot of people's OCD but I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the centering "issues". I've read these comments before both here and in the FB groups :rolleyes: Then I look at my BD1N P3 from the first run and wonder why that one's not off center. When the blade is closed the tip is right over where the two halves meet to form the lanyard tube. My M390 and SPY27 are off center a tiny bit toward the clip side but not enough to make a big deal out of it. The knives both function as they should. So I put my OCD aside and moved on. Then tonight I read your comment this "design issue" and decided to take a closer look. My M390 is a fraction of an inch more off center than the SPY27. So I decided to take that one apart. First think I checked was the blade. I laid it on a flat surface and held the tang against it. I ran a feeler gauge underneath the blade at the spine on both sides. On the one side I could push the feeler gauge almost to the Spydie hole. On the the other side the feeler gauge stopped much sooner. I marked the stopping points on each side and there were about 3/4" between them. So the blade appears to be warped a little. Then, knowing what I know about plastics warping, I laid the scales on the flat surface. Sure enough they're not very straight either. In fact they're twisted. I also checked a set of G10 Para 3 scales along with a set of Native 5 scales. They were much better than the Para 3 LW scales. I could push on each end and there was no movement that I could see or feel.

I might be completely wrong but I don't think modifying the one mold and adding a second washer is going to change much
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Pm3 lw is my 2020 favorite. I would grab a cruwear! Whether or not I could get one in the 16 seconds before they sell out is another question... (sell a few hundred more, the market can bare it!)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:27 am
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:32 pm
I swear if the centering issues could be fixed either by a remold of the interior or cqing another washer, it would be the perfect lightweight knife for me. I see many Para3 LWs being sold on the secondary more than the standard Para3, possibly because of this design issue.

Nonetheless,I thoroughly enjoy my 3 LWs in M390, REX45 and Spy27. Hoping for more exclusives to grow the family.
I know that only having one washer messes with a lot of people's OCD but I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the centering "issues". I've read these comments before both here and in the FB groups :rolleyes: Then I look at my BD1N P3 from the first run and wonder why that one's not off center. When the blade is closed the tip is right over where the two halves meet to form the lanyard tube. My M390 and SPY27 are off center a tiny bit toward the clip side but not enough to make a big deal out of it. The knives both function as they should. So I put my OCD aside and moved on. Then tonight I read your comment this "design issue" and decided to take a closer look. My M390 is a fraction of an inch more off center than the SPY27. So I decided to take that one apart. First think I checked was the blade. I laid it on a flat surface and held the tang against it. I ran a feeler gauge underneath the blade at the spine on both sides. On the one side I could push the feeler gauge almost to the Spydie hole. On the the other side the feeler gauge stopped much sooner. I marked the stopping points on each side and there were about 3/4" between them. So the blade appears to be warped a little. Then, knowing what I know about plastics warping, I laid the scales on the flat surface. Sure enough they're not very straight either. In fact they're twisted. I also checked a set of G10 Para 3 scales along with a set of Native 5 scales. They were much better than the Para 3 LW scales. I could push on each end and there was no movement that I could see or feel.

I might be completely wrong but I don't think modifying the one mold and adding a second washer is going to change much

Nice observations and measurements, SG, thanks for that. All of my 3 Para 3 LW's are terribly off center with a bias to the show side, though not to the point of the blade touching a scale. I don't have a terrible OCD problem and I could live with a few hairs off-center; 2 of my Para 3's are a bit off-center and it doesn't bother me (though for the price they're going nowadays, there's always that niggle that the factory could have done better, QC-wise).

I wonder what could be the solution? I think that for the price these are going ($140 for the Spy27) and especially for exclusives, some sort of CQI could be done.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd buy it. I'd also love one in Maxamet and K390.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 pm
Very nice pic! :) (Though you should donate it to forum-brother Mushroom... ;) )

Such pics are a "danger" for me, in that they make me think the Native 5 LW could be my "next Manix 2 LW" - a model I had, liked a lot, but sold in the end and thought I´d never come back to it. But then I did. Might happen with the Native too, and why not in Cruwear. I too prefer the N5 platform a lot over the P3.
FWIW, I carry my Native 5 more than my Manix 2. The Native 5 is nice when I just need a knife, any knife, a no-hassle knife. The Manix 2 is nice when I know I'm going to be doing construction, cutting a lot of zip ties, or otherwise wearing gloves all day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm
All you guys disliking DLC, have you ever actually used it? I know many people dislike it because they think it will get scratched up easily like cheaper knives black coated blades.
Sure, I've used it. I have a couple knives with it - like my M4 Millie. However, I don't like the way that it looks. I don't like coated blades at all, so that's why I dislike it. After using it, I definitely have no fear of it getting scratched, but I like to see patina on my knives and DLC prevents on that the carbon steels.
Fair enough. I'm just hoping people aren't "scared" of DLC, that's all. Tough stuff for sure!
Same here: no need for it in stainless steel and tool steels develop a well used look like a pair of old channellocks.

I dislike “tactical” in all things. Just say no to DLC, tanto blades, big edc knives in general... fixed blade edc, etc...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Blnd wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:17 pm
I dislike “tactical” in all things. Just say no to DLC, tanto blades, big edc knives in general... fixed blade edc, etc...
That’s quit the broad stroke of the term tactical.
I’m not sure any of those are inherently of that purpose, except maybe traditional tantos.
I think DLC is often an aesthetic thing for most people. A “purple looks good with black” sort of thing the same way you like a patina or satin stainless blade.
I generally prefer non-coated blades myself, but sometimes they look good! I don’t like black and purple all that much, personally, but it seems to be a popular combo.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:29 pm
I think DLC is often an aesthetic thing for most people. A “purple looks good with black” sort of thing the same way you like a patina or satin stainless blade.
I generally prefer non-coated blades myself, but sometimes they look good! I don’t like black and purple all that much, personally, but it seems to be a popular combo.

I agree that I typically like non coated blades but there are some knives that just look better with dlc coating. The purple cru-wear is a good example of that.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DLC has always been an aesthetic thing for me as well. But I will say, I also enjoy DLC because many scratches I get on my satin blades never happen with my DLC blades when cutting the same material with the two knives. Now, I don't get all bummed when I do scratch a satin blade, but it is nice to be able to Flitz away a "scratch" (most of the time the material that's been cut) on the DLC blade, and in turn looks brand new after a little elbow grease.

I currently have 1 DLC Cruwear and 1 Satin Cruwear and love using both :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:38 am
..All of my 3 Para 3 LW's are terribly off center with a bias to the show side...
Well that's interesting! My two that are off center (again only a tiny bit) are both off to the clip side. Hmm
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

The Para 3 has already had 2 sprint runs in CruWear (Smooth Grey G-10 & Smooth Black G-10) and the DLT Exclusive Purple/DLC CruWear. So I don’t even think there will be a “CruCarta” Para 3 or a new lightweight any time soon. But since CruWear is seemingly very popular lately, I guess anything is possible.