Custom Scales for a Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: Custom Scales for a Chaparral?

Post by mattman »

Two mentioned in this thread are Custom Scale Division, (CuScaDi.de), and Suingab at G10.it . Otherwise there are several makers over on bladeforums that you could check with... (The services offered sub-forum is kinda hard to find, I'll come back with a link...)

Here's the link:

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/the- ... fered.870/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cusade and BOOMER52 (G10) here on the forum do great work. Luke at Cuscade will take good care of you. With Cuscade you can get lightning strike carbon fiber, wood, micarta, G10, and etc.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

Reviving this old topic as I'm pretty keen on getting some micarta scales for my Chaparral.

As this is my first time getting custom scales for a knife, I'm just wondering, and hope somebody knows about this:

Is it possible to get custom scales for the FRN Chaparral, given the nested liners and thinness of the stock scales?

Wouldn't mind having the scales be slightly thicker, the screws could probably just be recessed a little more to meet the little thread tubes in the handle.

Will reach out to Cuscadi for a quote, would just like to hear if anybody else has experience with this.
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Hey all, wanted to bump this thread once again. Anybody have experiences with aftermarket scales on the frn chap - or is the frn too thin?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bamboo wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 am
Hey all, wanted to bump this thread once again. Anybody have experiences with aftermarket scales on the frn chap - or is the frn too thin?

It's almost certainly too thin.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

That's what I feared. Thanks for the response. Either way, the maple chap is looking great. Just have to wait until its in stock here in the EU.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:21 am
Bamboo wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 am

It's almost certainly too thin.

I think it is true that the FRN is very thin, and perhaps too thin to allow for custom scales in many other materials in the same thinness.
But why should a custom scale maker not be able to make a bit thicker scales (out of wood or whatever) for the liners of the Chap?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bamboo wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:14 am
That's what I feared. Thanks for the response. Either way, the maple chap is looking great. Just have to wait until its in stock here in the EU.

Added to my post above: Now I am a bit confused... This very thread (on page one) shows custom scales for the Chap...?! :confused:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 am
Bamboo wrote:

Added to my post above: Now I am a bit confused... This very thread (on page one) shows custom scales for the Chap...?! :confused:
Thanks for the reply Wartstein! Don't think the scales on page 1 are from an frn model though? From my limited understanding it seems that different models have different construction. I was just curious as to whether the thinness of the lightweight makes it not a good candidate for aftermarket scales. But you are right -if going for custom, nothing stopping the maker from making it thicker.
Guess I might shoot cuscadi an email in the near future to check what they make of it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bamboo wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Bamboo wrote:

Thanks for the reply Wartstein! Don't think the scales on page 1 are from an frn model though? From my limited understanding it seems that different models have different construction. I was just curious as to whether the thinness of the lightweight makes it not a good candidate for aftermarket scales. But you are right -if going for custom, nothing stopping the maker from making it thicker.
Guess I might shoot cuscadi an email in the near future to check what they make of it.

I think the important point is that the Chap variant you want custom scales for has liners at all!
I am pretty sure that the Sun and Moon (G10) and the FRN will have the same nested liners, the CF has full liners (I guess), and the TI most likely no liners (would not make a lot of sense).
Since the FRN is pretty popular I am sure Cuscadi can make scales for it. Suingab will do so probably too.

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bamboo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Bamboo wrote:

PS: I´d also pm Abbazabba and Radioactive Spyder (the guys who posted the pics at page one of this thread). I am sure they can give you good advice.
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Thanks Wartstein, I appreciate the advice. Think I will wait up on the birdseye maple to see if it scratches my itch, and if not I will certainly update you all on this venture!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Custom Micarta Scales made by a very generous member on BF.

Yes, these are on an FRN Chap and they are awesome.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 am

Those look fantastic, the micarta just adds an air of old world class. I have been debating going that route with either a Chaparral or a Sage.
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Cscottsss wrote:

Nice Cscottsss, looking good! Great to hear its a possibility. Certainly opens up some doors for me. How you finding the micarta scales in comparison to the frn?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:

Yes, they are! :)

I am sure we´ll see a regular production Micarta Chap at one point, and if it then looks like yours I won´t complain.. ;)
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:57 am
Bamboo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Bamboo wrote:

I think the important point is that the Chap variant you want custom scales for has liners at all!
I am pretty sure that the Sun and Moon (G10) and the FRN will have the same nested liners, the CF has full liners (I guess), and the TI most likely no liners (would not make a lot of sense).
Since the FRN is pretty popular I am sure Cuscadi can make scales for it. Suingab will do so probably too.

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)
I’ve been in touch with both Cuscadi and Suingab and none of them could do it! Any other suggestions? I’m more and more keen to get this made.
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )