Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
remnar

Re: Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

Post by remnar »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:26 pm
That's awesome remnar! :cool: :)
Thanks Bloke! :) :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

remnar wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:26 pm
That's awesome remnar! :cool: :)
Thanks Bloke! :) :spyder:
You’re most welcome remar! You’re sling shots are works of art and I meant to comment earlier on but forgot. :rolleyes:

I reckon I could have a lot of fun with any of them. :cool: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Crux

Post by Crux »

remnar wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:20 pm
I just finished this one and it is going to my son for his birthday. :) :spyder:

You need a lot more rubber if you are going to launch 1" balls. I admit I am a slingshot nut so I have about a dozen of more that will launch <1/8" to 1 1/4" ball bearings at nasty speeds. You don't want to get hit with any of those as I can attest is quite painful.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
remnar

Post by remnar »

Crux wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 pm

You need a lot more rubber if you are going to launch 1" balls. I admit I am a slingshot nut so I have about a dozen of more that will launch <1/8" to 1 1/4" ball bearings at nasty speeds. You don't want to get hit with any of those as I can attest is quite painful.
1" balls? I don't think we will be launching those. :rolleyes: This is a smaller frame and was never intended for payloads like that. :) I would like to build one for heavier larger ammo. Do you have any advice about design or band setup?
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've made several more slingshots based on a pattern that I drew up. Still not going to be launching 1" ball bearings. lol

This one might be my favorite...

the other side.

I just finished this one...

I also made one from a natural maple fork.

Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm might make a slingshot out of 3 Para 3's but that would be too awesome.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm
I'm might make a slingshot out of 3 Para 3's but that would be too awesome.
Well CRUX don't think your being too far out because I've also thought that using the handle on a Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model as a sling-shot handle could make for a great hunting sling shot. The handle on the TEMP 1 is truly the most near perfect knife handle I've ever held in my hand. And the awesome grip you could attain I think would really make a super accurate sling shot.

So you might just be on to something after all.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Bringing this thread back to life to show my latest unique build. :)

https://rumble.com/vdgakt-my-home-built ... 9&mc=36d2o

It's a big kids toy! :D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

While I like these, the old man in me is wondering how many of you wear eye protection when using these.

I really like them. But wear eye protection.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

remnar wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 pm

Very cool, we gotta see it in action! :cool:

I'm just spitballing but it might be interesting to incorporate a way to make the "barrel" act as a hopper for ammo. None the less, very nice work. One of my first thoughts was, that's marketable! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:31 pm
remnar wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 pm

Very cool, we gotta see it in action! :cool:

I'm just spitballing but it might be interesting to incorporate a way to make the "barrel" act as a hopper for ammo. None the less, very nice work. One of my first thoughts was, that's marketable! ;)
I actually thought of that barrel idea. I was going to put some kind of "gate" on the side of the stock to load and unload ammo. The problem is that I spent so much time working on this that I got impatient and just wanted to get it done. I do have ideas for adding a tang sight but it is already easy to aim. I did make one short video of my testfire but it's cold and wet outside and I couldn't really shoot it in my yard because the neighbors are too close.

https://rumble.com/vdgahh-slingshot-rif ... 9&mc=36d2o
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I remember having one of the crossman aluminum slingshots as a kid. I found some stronger tubing for it and attached them. After that I was using lead buckshot pellets my Dad had for years. He reloaded for his shotguns but he didn't reload anymore so he gave them to me for my slingshot. It would take do serious damage to small game of all types. I was **** on squirrels, mice and rats with it. I use to make money with mine shooting mice and rats around and in hog houses near my house. I need to buy or make my own and get back into it because I loved it.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I had a Dennis the Menace type as a real young child and some my father made for me from broken tree limb Y pieces with wide flat rubber bands, a couple of wrist rockets back in the 70’s, a lot of fun but after a while my forearm would hurt from the pressure applied and I lost interest.... went off to college and my roommate was from Brazil...he taught me several things, Argentinian Gaucho Knife Fighting, how to roll a cig with tobacco and rolling paper with one hand and he taught me how to use a David and Goliath all leather old old fashion sling shot with a leather pouch and leather release straps...yeah swing it around the top of you head and let one strap go.... was not easy to learn but with lots of practice I got pretty darn good with it, even successfully hunted small game, but more importantly it was just so much fun... it became addicting....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 pm
While I like these, the old man in me is wondering how many of you wear eye protection when using these.

I really like them. But wear eye protection.
Glad you touched on that point Naperville ;) The older I get ( and I'm getting sort of old :o 67 to be exact :o ) the more I realize just how super important it is to protect your eyes no matter what activity you might be engaged in. Just a couple of years ago I seen a kid in the neighborhood in his early teens running a weedeater without any eye protection :eek: . I stopped the kid immediately and gave him an extra pair of goggles that I had>> later I heard his mother was mad at me :eek: Go Figure :rolleyes:

But I put that out there to show just how many people take eye protection for granted. I had two minor eye injuries working in a steel mill many years ago and right then I immediately realized I MUST wear eye protection if I got any brain cells at all. Yes it's super important
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:28 pm
I had a Dennis the Menace type as a real young child and some my father made for me from broken tree limb Y pieces with wide flat rubber bands, a couple of wrist rockets back in the 70’s, a lot of fun but after a while my forearm would hurt from the pressure applied and I lost interest.... went off to college and my roommate was from Brazil...he taught me several things, Argentinian Gaucho Knife Fighting, how to roll a cig with tobacco and rolling paper with one hand and he taught me how to use a David and Goliath all leather old old fashion sling shot with a leather pouch and leather release straps...yeah swing it around the top of you head and let one strap go.... was not easy to learn but with lots of practice I got pretty darn good with it, even successfully hunted small game, but more importantly it was just so much fun... it became addicting....
Glad you mentioned the "David & Goliath" type slingshot Doc :) Because when I was studying the Bible a few years back in a class with a really bright scholar who really knew his Greek & Hebrew extremely well. He explained to me in detail that the slingshot that David used against the Philistine Giant "Goliath" was exactly like Doc just described. Because at first I was having some trouble getting my head around how a young Hebrew (David) could take down a Philistine Giant from Gath ( most scholars claim to be over 10 feet tall by today's measures) with a mere slingshot. And once I learned about the awesome leverage that can be attained with that type of a slingshot I quickly learned that it was a different animal all together.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My go to for slingshots has been simple-shot.com. They are kind of addicting, much like Spydercos.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 am
My go to for slingshots has been simple-shot.com. They are kind of addicting, much like Spydercos.
Well JR I tried to check out that website and I just got some type of an error code :confused: . I like said when I started this thread some time back there are two magazines that I subscribe to that both had great articles on the new, modern types of sling shots>>> they are the Backwoodsman and OFF GRID. You all might be able to pull up those articles in their archives. Many of those magazines will put their older articles on their website archives many times.

If not I'll spend some time this week trying to find which issues they were. It has been a while :D I'm kind of surprised that this thread would pop back up again>> pleasantly surprised though.

Some of these newer slingshots are so "hi-tech" that I bet with a good shot you could even kill a deer with one of the better units. Ultimately if I ever get back to the Missouri Ozarks which is a goal of mine I would love to make a project doing just that.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Try this URL instead: https://simple-shot.com/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
remnar

Post by remnar »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 am
I agree. I own a few of the Simpleshot slingshots and they are a great company to get your slingshot supplies from. :) :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I grabbed one of these for $5 a few weeks ago. Been trying to teach my kid how to use one.

Glanced through this thread last night and never realized how high end slingshots get these days!
:unicorn