Others Spyderco Competitors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: Others Spyderco Competitors

Post by vivi »

Thankfully it seems Spyderco is moving in that direction. They're been using wood and micarta more frequently, which I like to see. Hoping at some point one of my preferred models gets run with factory micarta scales.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:27 pm
Thankfully it seems Spyderco is moving in that direction. They're been using wood and micarta more frequently, which I like to see. Hoping at some point one of my preferred models gets run with factory micarta scales.
For sure, even the grooved G10 on those S45VN sprints was a nice, subtle change. I guess it's more so on the exclusives than Spyderco when knives come out in all these different colors. Micarta suddenly popping up here and there is refreshing, as well as those beautiful scales on that new Chaparral. So there is definitely hope in that category!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Artisan and Kizer are a couple value packed alternatives. Many will slam them for country of origin, but they are generally fantastic fit and finish, at least in my experience. Titanium handles and premium steel.

And flippers... Spyderco needs to look at a few more flipper models in my opinion. The spydie hole is fun, absolutely, but there is something next level about a sweet sweet flipper. I will admit I have limited experience with Spydie flippers, but the design oops of my amalgam is hard to overlook. A flipper tab and a compression lock do not belong together. Yes, you can do things to not jam your finger when opening and especially closing, but it is a process that shouldn't be necessary. I understand after endlessly flipping some competitors knives why people have ground the flipper tab off the amalgam.

As for their other flippers, I have read good and bad about them. But grab a kizer basalt or gemini and flip it a few times and you will be giggling at the sweet action of those things.
Last edited by bobnikon on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:54 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm
I’ve looked at Chris Reeve knives, handled 4 or 5 of them, super impressed! If they had a thumb hole I’d probably already own one or two of them!

MacLaren here had me on Medford research mission for a couple of weeks, his pics of his Medford’s wowed me everyday, but there’s so many Spyderco’s still on my “must purchase next” list that I could buy easily two, probably three Spyderco’s for the price of one Medford!
As someone that recently jumped on a CRK, I have to say...Nothing against Spyderco, but if given the opportunity at another CRK, Medford, Shiro, etc if one really appealed to me...it would be a no brainer, easy decision to hold off on a couple Spyderco's for ONE knife of the quality of those brands. Now, it's easy to say for me at this point in my collection as I feel very good about what I personally have in Spyderco knives and don't really care for another one of the many models I already have a few variations of. A different steel, or different color G10 doesn't matter these days. Too many similarities to what I've already got, nothing that's going to blow my mind when opening the box. I think THAT'S where dabbling into a higher end knife makes it worth it compared to another 3 similar Spyderco knives that I likely already have. Something that really excites you once you get it in hand.

That's clearly just my thoughts, but I have no regrets on pulling the trigger on the Sebenza and love having something that doesn't just blend in with the rest of my collection. A different color G10 or FRN just doesn't excite me anymore if I've already got the model :confused: That's the ONE thing I would love to see from Spyderco, granted easier said than done...but I'd love some different handle scale materials and options besides the very common G10 or FRN in 55 different colors. It's still the same knife and am realizing I don't need a rainbow's worth of just one model.
Great post! The Chris Reeve I've "admired" the most is the Large Inkosi Insingo, the shop I frequent keeps 4 or 5 CRK's on hand, one day I was in there I held that Inkosi for probably 20 minutes, just melted in my hand! I convinced myself to hand it back and walk away, but seriously....had it had a thumb hole in the blade, I would have walked out with it!

This same shop had a used Praetorian Ti Tanto in their case out of someone's collection, it looked brand new! All of about 20/30 seconds in my hand convinced me I didn't need any part of that Medford model, what a BEAST!! The Medford model I was interested was the 187 DP model, way more practical....in every way, at least for me! But I will say, that Praetorian was flawless, perfect in everyway, don't think the build or fit and finish could have been any better!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Benchmade and Kershaw/ZT are the obvious competitors.

Hogue makes great knives.

The couple of Spartans I have handled were very very nice but some of them get pricey.

Protech is a good company making knives in a similar price range with similar quality and materials. Most are automatic.

My TRM Atom compares well in terms of quality, materials and price and they are American made.

Nobody competes with Spyderco in terms of either innovation or variety. This is what sets them apart and likely why many of us are here.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

So, Hogue Deka - G10 and 20CV, USA made, still weighs just barely over 2oz, $140. Spyderco Para 3 LW SPY27 (closer to S30V than 20CV), similar weight, plastic handles, but will sell for the same price as the Deka that has a 1/4" longer blade. If I didn't love Spyderco's ergos, I'd probably have a Deka instead of my Sage 5 LW.

I received my CRKT Vox Pilar III this week. The Pilar III has very Spyderco like ergos. It's sized like an Efficient, but it's a steel frame lock with a G10 front scale that's half an ounce lighter than the Efficient. The Pilar III with 8Cr13 blade is $10 less than than the Efficient with the same blade steel. For $10 more - the same price as the Efficient with 8Cr13 - you can get a D2 blade in the Pilar III. My Pilar III is better fit and finished than my Insistent (the Emphasis' little brother).

Ladybug mentioned the ESEE Avispa and Zancudo, but those are discontinued, unfortunately. However, the competing Ontario RAT plastic handle liner locks are still being sold. The full size RAT 1 $32 with an AUS-8 blade or $38 with a D2 blade, vs.the similar size and materials Tenacious LW at $45 MAP. The Tenacious might be slightly fit and finished, but not by a huge margin, if at all. I like the Tenacious ergos better, but the RAT is still a very comfortable, easy to use folder. The RAT folders are also made in Taiwan instead of mainland China.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I got my Hogue Deka for $122. I'm not sure how their MSRP/MAP works.

I don't think the Deka can really compete with the Para 3 (or the Chaparral, which I think is a better comparison) for ergonomics. Spyderco is pretty much winning the ergo game hands down. If Spyderco produced a knife in similar size (with the bolt action lock or the CBBL) and Spyderco ergonomics, it would be a game changer.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Ergos (and the OpFocus Program) are why I mostly buy Spyderco. The So, CBBL or maybe even a button comp lock for the Sage 6? Or bring back the Sage 3 as a user like the Sage 5? It looks like Hogue has had a price increase - I can't find a Deka for under $140 now. I'm guessing Hogue had a price increase.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Lots of prices increase on January 1, so I'd believe that.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

To be honest, I like Spyderco because of the Glesser designs. If you look at my Spydercos you'll notice they're all designed by either Sal or Eric, except for the Street Beat, but Perrin's design aesthetic speaks to me as well. That's why I'm willing to pay a little more when there's a Cold Steel or Bark River that might offer a better "value". I'm paying for the design and experimentation.

The titanium frame locks, flipper tabs, ball bearings, super tactical, highly-machined, damascus, blah blah just don't appeal to me. Spyderco does dabble in those things with collaborations, but they don't really interest me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I guess my basic problem is that, aside from D/A OTF automatics, I have yet to find any fully ambidextrous locking folder with an opening mechanism as easy for me to operate as Spyderco's Spyderhole. I own a number of folders by other makers and might even own one or two that some might say offer "more bang for the buck" than a "comparable" Spyderco, but the chances of finding one in my pocket are slim and few ever get played with more than once because the comparison always falls short.

Fixed blades are another matter altogether, there are plenty of them available that I'd recommend over most of Spyderco's offerings.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If one really plainly looks of what exact knife one gets in the hand for the buck I have to second that in the fixed blade arena certainly Mora is hard to beat:
The regular (not the thicker bladed heavy duty) Companion is really amazing, not only for the ridiculously low price. Great ergos, great, thin scandi blade, simple, but easily attachable sheath, very light but still holds up more than well enough.
So if one specifically looks for a good fixed blade for an extremely low price It think Spyderco has a hard time to compete (perhaps with the bow river though? I never had one).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm
I buy spyderco for the integrity and good business practices. Thats why I will contunue to support them.

I am paying for research and development, good ergos, proper heat treats, cqi, new steels, rust proof steels, a real warranty, etc...

This.
If one is like me and obviously you :I just can´t help but always see the whole package, which gives me additional joy whenever I use a Spyderco: The integritiy, the community, the history, the attention to every detail, the way the company is run and how well it obviously treats its employees, the cqi, the amazing designs that sometimes show just in tiny little details... so for me in the folder arena nothing can beat Spyderco, and I solely own Spyderco folders these days (except some cheapos)

If one though solely looks at the product and materials they get in hand for the money: Perhaps there are brands that can compete? Actually can´t really weigh in, I am genuinely just not interested in folders of other brands any more (though they sure make great products too!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:28 pm
Ergos (and the OpFocus Program) are why I mostly buy Spyderco. The So, CBBL or maybe even a button comp lock for the Sage 6? Or bring back the Sage 3 as a user like the Sage 5? It looks like Hogue has had a price increase - I can't find a Deka for under $140 now. I'm guessing Hogue had a price increase.
I'm pretty sure that $140 has been the price of the Deka all along, but they do seem to go on sale somewhat frequently. I see them advertised ~ $120 every now and again.. at Knifecenter especially. I'm pretty sure that the sales are "Hogue-sanctioned"..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

When it comes to an industry leading company with the history and reputation of Spyderco, I don't mind paying a little bit more.
Premium brands often cost a bit more, that's to be expected.
Id like to see them upgrade the steel on the value range and Byrd to something more corrosion resistant though.
With Spyderco I know im getting knives designed by Sal or Eric, great research has gone into every model, ergonomics are brilliant, they research into and make salt knives, which for me is very important.
Basically the only maker that does.
For folders its Spyderco for me.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 am
When it comes to an industry leading company with the history and reputation of Spyderco, I don't mind paying a little bit more.
Id like to see them upgrade the steel on the value range and Byrd to something more corrosion resistant though.
With Spyderco I know im getting knives designed by Sal or Eric, great research has gone into every model, ergonomics are brilliant, they research into and make salt knives, which for me is very important.
I'm also a big fan of the Salt knives, so I obviously value corrosion resistance, too. In my experience, liners will rust before blades. Liner-less back locks are also easier to take apart for cleaning the pivot and lock bar, and applying a rust resitant lubricant to them. That's why I wish Spyderco would switch the Byrd back locks to liner-less construction, and switch to at least a somewhat more corrosion resistant steel. Liners just trap moisture, solvents, and dirt. That's a big part of why I like the Cold Steel Tuff Lite - It's liner-less and Spyderco-like ergos. Lack of liners is another reason I like frame locks over liner locks as well.

You might want to look at the CRKT Pilar series. Jesper Voxnaes' designs have some amazing ergos that are very reminiscent of Sal and Eric's designs. Like I said above, with the Pilar III you get the ergos you like, no liners, and build quality that's on par with a value line Spyderco folder for a little less money.
TenGrainBread wrote: To be honest, I like Spyderco because of the Glesser designs. If you look at my Spydercos you'll notice they're all designed by either Sal or Eric, except for the Street Beat, but Perrin's design aesthetic speaks to me as well. That's why I'm willing to pay a little more when there's a Cold Steel or Bark River that might offer a better "value". I'm paying for the design and experimentation.

The titanium frame locks, flipper tabs, ball bearings, super tactical, highly-machined, damascus, blah blah just don't appeal to me. Spyderco does dabble in those things with collaborations, but they don't really interest me.
Have you ever used a Jesper Voxnaes design like a Pilar? You think CRKT isn't paying him for his time and experimentation? How is a frame lock "super tactical"? It's a liner lock that's thicker and integrated into the scale. Is a compression lock or CBBL not even more "super tactical" than a frame lock? You don't like titanium? What about all the exotic blade steels Spyderco uses? You don't like ball bearing pivots? Does that make Spyderco's super smooth opening bushing pivots "super tactical too? Is the Caribbean's two tone, machined texture handle too much for you? Should they quit making the all black models? After all, matte black handles with black coated blades and hardware have their origins in the tactics of light discipline by being minimally reflective in low light operations. Don't forget that Spyderco was the first "tactical" knife because they were the fist to combine one hand opening and a pocket clip on the same folder. I think you're just cherry picking things you don't like as excuses.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The whole futuristic way knives are starting to look and the blingy WE knives keep me in the Spyderco design style I like.

Probably better knives out there but I’m not looking or comparing folders.

Fixed blades I’m all over the place as there is just so many custom knives out there that are so tempting nowadays.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:26 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 am
I'm also a big fan of the Salt knives, so I obviously value corrosion resistance, too. In my experience, liners will rust before blades. Liner-less back locks are also easier to take apart for cleaning the pivot and lock bar, and applying a rust resitant lubricant to them. That's why I wish Spyderco would switch the Byrd back locks to liner-less construction, and switch to at least a somewhat more corrosion resistant steel. Liners just trap moisture, solvents, and dirt. That's a big part of why I like the Cold Steel Tuff Lite - It's liner-less and Spyderco-like ergos. Lack of liners is another reason I like frame locks over liner locks as well.

You might want to look at the CRKT Pilar series. Jesper Voxnaes' designs have some amazing ergos that are very reminiscent of Sal and Eric's designs. Like I said above, with the Pilar III you get the ergos you like, no liners, and build quality that's on par with a value line Spyderco folder for a little less money.
TenGrainBread wrote: To be honest, I like Spyderco because of the Glesser designs. If you look at my Spydercos you'll notice they're all designed by either Sal or Eric, except for the Street Beat, but Perrin's design aesthetic speaks to me as well. That's why I'm willing to pay a little more when there's a Cold Steel or Bark River that might offer a better "value". I'm paying for the design and experimentation.

Have you ever used a Jesper Voxnaes design like a Pilar? You think CRKT isn't paying him for his time and experimentation? How is a frame lock "super tactical"? It's a liner lock that's thicker and integrated into the scale. Is a compression lock or CBBL not even more "super tactical" than a frame lock? You don't like titanium? What about all the exotic blade steels Spyderco uses? You don't like ball bearing pivots? Does that make Spyderco's super smooth opening bushing pivots "super tactical too? Is the Caribbean's two tone, machined texture handle too much for you? Should they quit making the all black models? After all, matte black handles with black coated blades and hardware have their origins in the tactics of light discipline by being minimally reflective in low light operations. Don't forget that Spyderco was the first "tactical" knife because they were the fist to combine one hand opening and a pocket clip on the same folder. I think you're just cherry picking things you don't like as excuses.
Thanks for your great advice mate, im loving my native 5 salt very much, the simple linerless design is fantastic.
Ive got a Caribbean coming which has the liners built into the g10 it looks like, looks great.
Whats your favourite salt knife?

The pilar3 sounds nice mate, I'll check them out.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Salty Dog wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:30 am
Thanks for your great advice mate, im loving my native 5 salt very much, the simple linerless design is fantastic.
Ive got a Caribbean coming which has the liners built into the g10 it looks like, looks great.

I really liked the Spydiechef for the simplicity of the liner-less Ti handles and phosphor bronze washers in the pivot, but it was just a little cramped in the grip for me. Right now the Native 5 Salt is my favorite. I've debating between a Caribbean or thethe newish Pac Salt 2 with the LC200N blade and green handles for my next Salt.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:00 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:30 am

I really liked the Spydiechef for the simplicity of the liner-less Ti handles and phosphor bronze washers in the pivot, but it was just a little cramped in the grip for me. Right now the Native 5 Salt is my favorite. I've debating between a Caribbean or thethe newish Pac Salt 2 with the LC200N blade and green handles for my next Salt.
[/quote

The spydiechef is my brothers fav knife, he carries it everywhere.
The new green Pac salt 2's look awesome, think I'll be getting one too, and a wharncliffe.
Maybe even a hawkbill if they make one :)

EDIT, my post is above mate, I did something wrong.