LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

LeafJumper

Post by kennethsime »

Before the RockJumper came out, Sal hinted that if it did well enough we'd see a LeafJumper as well, swapping the Wharncliffe blade for a leaf-shaped blade.

Well, I know the RockJumper hasn't been long, but I can't help starting to speculate.

I figured with the goal of bringing the cutting edge as close to the handle as possible, the Tenacious and the Caribbean would be the most likely candidates for a "donor blade." I liked the thumb ramp on the Tenacious better, so went that way. I'm sure that Sal will come up with something more distinct, but I'd be happy with something as simple as this.

So, what do you think? Will we see a LeafJumper? When? Will it be released in K390 as well as VG-10, simultaneously? What do you want to see?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Re: LeafJumper

Post by sal »

Hi Kennethsime,

We will see a Leaf-Jumper as well. It's on the works. We're doing a lot more gambling in that we're making FRN tooling without the slab scale test version. The costs have gotten too high on the slab scaled pilots and it doesn't tell us what we need to know as a test if we don't sell enough of them.

Also working on a bigger one.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 am
Hi Kennethsime,

We will see a Leaf-Jumper as well. It's on the works. We're doing a lot more gambling in that we're making FRN tooling without the slab scale test version. The costs have gotten too high on the slab scaled pilots and it doesn't tell us what we need to know as a test if we don't sell enough of them.

sal

Great news! And the bigger one... could finally be kind of a backlock Caribbean! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m really glad more knives like the Rockjumper are being made! The curvy choil-less design is something I like a lot!

It’s interesting to hear little details about the testing process too.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:42 pm
Before the RockJumper came out, Sal hinted that if it did well enough we'd see a LeafJumper as well, swapping the Wharncliffe blade for a leaf-shaped blade.

Well, I know the RockJumper hasn't been long, but I can't help starting to speculate.

I don´t have a RockJumper yet, but actually could handle one and compare to my Stretch 1 and Endela - great new design, and I´ll absolutely have to own one eventually.

Anyway, what I personally would like to see in a Leaf Jumper:

- A longer blade, more cutting edge. While the existing wharnie Rock Jumper for me has the perfect amount of blade in the very generous handle, in a leaf version I´d hope for a longer and by that even more versatile blade and edge.
This has been announced for the Rock Jumper in the September byte already (quote: "One of the primary design goals of the RockJumper was to pack as much cutting edge as possible into its pocket-friendly size"), but actually there is unused space in the handle for more blade.
I´d hope they´ll make use of that space with the Leaf Jumper, so that it could become a "new Stretch 1" in that regard:
- The Stretch 1 has the exact same handle length as the Rock Jumper, but packs a 3.5 blade and a 3.2 edge in that handle (despite it even has a choil).
- The Rock Jumper on the other hand offers "just" 3.08 of blade and 2.85 of edge.
Again: That is PERFECT for that wharnie, but in a Leaf Jumper more blade would be nice (and the Rock Jumper blade is over the 3" limit (not legal anymore in some places) anyway already)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:

sal

Is that so? :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:42 pm

I figured with the goal of bringing the cutting edge as close to the handle as possible, the Tenacious and the Caribbean would be the most likely candidates for a "donor blade." I liked the thumb ramp on the Tenacious better, so went that way. I'm sure that Sal will come up with something more distinct, but I'd be happy with something as simple as this.

So, what do you think? Will we see a LeafJumper? When? Will it be released in K390 as well as VG-10, simultaneously? What do you want to see?

I'd expect more thumb ramp to match what the current Rock Jumper has, and probably a bit less blade length. I'm sure steel variants will depend on how well they sell.
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Jimping on the thumb ramp, and a boye dent if the lockbar travel can accommodate one. It seems like all the seki lockbacks can accommodate a boye dent.

I know there was a thread on this. I just find myself really appreciating jimping, and I like a boye det on non-Golden backlocks.

Either way a leafjumper xl sounds pretty great. Maybe it can scratch that itch I have for an endura with a different handle.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Hi Kennethsime,

sal
That's great to hear Sal, thank you so much for the response.

I'll be first in line to buy - this is a dream knife for me, replacing the Delica with something that works much better for my hand.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:34 am
Jimping on the thumb ramp, and a boye dent if the lockbar travel can accommodate one. It seems like all the seki lockbacks can accommodate a boye dent.

I know there was a thread on this. I just find myself really appreciating jimping, and I like a boye det on non-Golden backlocks.

Either way a leafjumper xl sounds pretty great. Maybe it can scratch that itch I have for an endura with a different handle.
Agreed on all points, VooDoo.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:41 am
I'd expect more thumb ramp to match what the current Rock Jumper has, and probably a bit less blade length. I'm sure steel variants will depend on how well they sell.
Yes, agreed on both points. But re: the steel, a man can dream, can't he? ;-)

vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Hi Kennethsime,

sal
!!!!!!!
:unicorn
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 am
sal wrote:
Hi Kennethsime,

sal

Great news! And the bigger one... could finally be kind of a backlock Caribbean! :)
A lockback XL Caribbean would be outstanding, a XL Caribbean with any type of lock would be great.
Count me in for sure.
Such a fantastic knife the Caribbean.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Kennethsime,

sal

A lockback XL Caribbean would be outstanding, a XL Caribbean with any type of lock would be great.
Count me in for sure.
Hello. How did this “bigger one” shift from a Leaf Jumper to a Caribbean? Not that there is anything wrong with an imminent Caribbean XL.

I want one, one with extra attention paid to the compression lock’s currently weak detent (needs serious stiffness and durability).

I think the compression lock—NOT a backlock—is a must for the purpose-built Caribbean’s need for easy cleaning after entering the challenging environments to which Sal has invited it.

Bigger Leaf-Jumper? Sure, why not? But we don’t have the Leaf Jumper yet, let alone an RJXL.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:09 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:
Count me in for sure.
Hello. How did this “bigger one” shift from a Leaf Jumper to a Caribbean? Not that there is anything wrong with an imminent Caribbean XL.

I want one, one with extra attention paid to the compression lock’s currently weak detent (needs serious stiffness and durability).

I think the compression lock—NOT a backlock—is a must for the purpose-built Caribbean’s need for easy cleaning after entering the challenging environments to which Sal has invited it.

Bigger Leaf-Jumper? Sure, why not? But we don’t have the Leaf Jumper yet, let alone an RJXL.

Well, a Leaf Jumper XL actually WOULD be the closest we came to a lock back Caribbean yet, right?
Handle shape, edge all the way to the handle, tall blade would be pretty similar.

Sure, the Caribbean shall remain the Caribbean! :)

But for those who prefer a backlock and also love the overall Caribbean design, a Leaf Jumper is great news.
(And FRN and backlock do have certain advantages over G10 and comp. lock, but this is true vice versa too I guess).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:55 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:34 am

Agreed on all points, VooDoo.

Agreed, I am to the point I have way more knives than I really need, so it really has to tick all the boxes for me to get something new. Jimping and Boye Dent are two of those boxes. They are both integral little touches to the Seki FRN backlocks and the Police LW and Rock Jumper seems naked/unfinished/unpolished not having both of these. 15 of my 21 Spydies are Seki FRN backlocks and the Rock Jumper and Police LW didn't make the cut because of this. I know some people don't care or even notice, but some of us definitely do.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I understand there are a fair share of XL paws around here, and it's great news that Spyderco is willing to serve that part of their audience. With that said, I very humbly hope that Spyderco don't forget about us small paws.
My world view might be skewed by my bias, but as far as I can tell, there seems like most of the focus is directed towards large and XL models / hand size.
The fact of the matter is, in most applications I prefer Spyderco's approach to knife design, but the ergonomic design doesn't fully pay off when the knife is too large for my hand. Things just doesn't line up, and the grip feels awkward.
I also understand there's a limit to how many models and variations there could practically be, but judging by the rate of which Benchmade is rolling out small's, there is money to be made there.
This was quite far off topic, although fairly in line with the tangent this thread was already on, so I'll end this by pulling things slightly back in the right direction;
If there by any chance was a small leaf jumper salt, I would probably quit whining about a small Caribbean :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 am
I understand there are a fair share of XL paws around here, and it's great news that Spyderco is willing to serve that part of their audience. With that said, I very humbly hope that Spyderco don't forget about us small paws.
My world view might be skewed by my bias, but as far as I can tell, there seems like most of the focus is directed towards large and XL models / hand size.
The fact of the matter is, in most applications I prefer Spyderco's approach to knife design, but the ergonomic design doesn't fully pay off when the knife is too large for my hand. Things just doesn't line up, and the grip feels awkward.
I also understand there's a limit to how many models and variations there could practically be, but judging by the rate of which Benchmade is rolling out small's, there is money to be made there.
This was quite far off topic, although fairly in line with the tangent this thread was already on, so I'll end this by pulling things slightly back in the right direction;
If there by any chance was a small leaf jumper salt, I would probably quit whining about a small Caribbean :D

Maybe we're looking at different catalogs, there sure are a lot of "Lil ______" models and very few "______ XL" models. Spyderco practically invented the little big knife concept.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:40 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 am

Maybe we're looking at different catalogs, there sure are a lot of "Lil ______" models and very few XL models. Spyderco practically invented the little big knife concept.
Same.

What do the Military, Manix XL, Police 3 AND 4, Chinook 1-4 and K2 all have in common?

Combined, these models have had less sprints in the past five years than the Para 3 alone has had in the past two years.

That said, I commend Spyderco for offering the wide variety of sizes they do. Plenty to choose from regardless of which size you prefer.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Same.

What do the Military, Manix XL, Police 3 AND 4, Chinook 1-4 and K2 all have in common?

Combined, these models have had less sprints in the past five years than the Para 3 alone has had in the past two years.

That said, I commend Spyderco for offering the wide variety of sizes they do. Plenty to choose from regardless of which size you prefer.

I get it, I think most knife people are more comfortable with ~3 inch folders but I wouldn't say they cater more to the large folder crowd, I'd say they're just answering some requests. Like you said sprints and exclusives alone are so few and far between with bigger knives. The Military has seen a good share but it's also one of the oldest models being produced and we haven't seen many in recent years so even those have tapered off.

I think the upcoming Ayoob, a Cliff Jumper and a Caribbean XL would answer most of my needs. Everything else is curiosity and for fun. As it is now the Rock Jumper could probably serve every need I have, my wanting for a larger version is mostly just preferences.
~David