What was your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLopez

Re: What was your first Spyderco?

Post by JLopez »

Sage 5 LW in s30v followed by a Manix 2 in m390 a day later. I started 2 weeks ago.
JLopez

Post by JLopez »

Sage 5 LW in s30v followed by a Manix 2 in m390 a day later. I started 2 weeks ago.
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Spyderco C04 Executive/(clippette) and I still have it. 1991 I think
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Back when I had a local dealer, I saw a Spyderco in the used case that spoke to me. It was a Native in 440V. It still has one of the smoothest actions of any of my many knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yellow plain edge PacSalt (circa 2005)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

PM2, then a para 3, para 3 lightweight, lil native, and native 5 salt were my first.
Patko

Post by Patko »

Sage 1, not alive anymore, my lawn mower found it in the grass :D
--mitja
poolhustler

Post by poolhustler »

Endura!!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Reference_Sensor wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 pm
I still have my first one, a Delica with the FRN pocket clip, that I bought at Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS back in 1991. This little knife was so remarkably different from everything else around it in the case that I just had to try it, and that was all she wrote. I've got a hoard of Syprderco knives now, these many years and weary miles later.

My next was a FRN Endura that I carried as a work knife, and after the clip sheared off coming out of the hatchway of an air handling unit I was building, I sanded down the remainder of the clip attachment and carried it as a "regular" pocket knife until I saw the stainless Endura II. Carried the Endura II all around the world in 2004-2005, from Camp Shelby to Fort Irwin to Kuwait and Iraq, this nifty little powerhouse of a blade made life a whole lot easier as I zipped through packing materials, valiantly slew hundreds of MREs and all the other various tasks a knife is called upon to accomplish. It shows quite a bit of wear and use, but is still razor sharp and occupies a place of honor in my collection.

I retired the old Endura II after I started working at Camp Shelby, and bought a Foliage Green Endura for uniform wear, and carried that one until 2010, when I was getting ready for Afghanistan. Picked up a black Endura with the DLC blade at the Fort Hood Clothing Sales shop before we shipped, and it has been an awesome knife. Still has Afghan dust in the crevices of the handle scales, and it still just as sharp as when I bought it.

I went to Africa in 2017, and took with me a new Military with the digicam scales and DLC coated blade, and was immensely pleased with it, as it makes a heckuva field knife, and it's light as all get out. It doesn't look as new as it once did, but it handled everything Africa could throw at it, and came back for more.

This year, I'm in Afghanistan, and there is a brand new Amalgam on its way to me here in Kabul. This one is a bit of a departure for me, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this interesting and beautifully designed knife.

I guess you could say that I've started my own tradition, with very new adventure accompanied by a new Spyderco, and now that my son has joined the US Air Force, I plan to pass that tradition on to him should he ever deploy overseas. He already has a Manix with the translucent blue scales (kinda fitting for an Airman, I think), so he already knows what a quality pocket knife is supposed to look like!

I look forward to whatever is over the horizon, and when I get there, I'll have a Spyderco in my pocket.
I’m very curious how you like the Amalgam. Especially because it has caged bearings.

Thanks.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

My first Spyderco was a black FRN, PE Pacific Salt, unfortunately I lost it about a year after I bought it. (heartbreaking :( ) The DLC PM2 S30V was next. I still have the PM2, it’s a great knife, and still one of my most carried. It’s in my pocket as I type.

Started using and collecting Spyderco‘s about three years ago. I now have 21 Spyderco knives... the sickness is strong.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

My first was a few months ago, a black para3 in s30v. Then very shortly after a maxamet PM2, a native 5 lw, and another para3 in m390. Down the rabbit hole I go.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Mine was a PE Para 3 LW. Ten Spydercos later (soon to be 12) it still sees pocket time every week. I’ve tried to capture as many steels, factories, and designs as I can with maximum variety so that I can be a diverse collector. I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Wayne Goddard Jr. in CE! I've had some great ones pass through my hands since then, all which I've regretted selling, such as the original Viele in black micarta, and the Lum Chinese in gunmetal blue.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

My first Spyderco was the PD#1 mule just a few months ago. The first Spyderco folder I got was the Tenacious. I'm up to 7 if I count my Byrd Hawkbill.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Mine was a fully serrated Police model bought from Jumbo sports in 1995 or 96. I wish I still had that one. I used that knife for anything and everything.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Iole

Post by Iole »

The Worker, then a P.I.G. Police
Aaronbern

Post by Aaronbern »

My first Spydie was the Manix 2 royal blue sprint run, I jumped into the deep end right off the bat, thanks to the nutnfancy review. It got stolen out of my room in college so I had to spend dearly to replace it. I've been hooked ever since, but find I like the PM2, Endura, and Sage series more.
R100

Post by R100 »

I bought my first Spyderco as soon as I worked out how to buy one from the US which was 2008. Shipping was expensive so I actually bought 2 knives. They were a Military and an ffg g10 Endura. I was much more impressed by the Military until I actually used them. The Endura just cut so much better and the handle felt like it was made for me. I initially thought it was ugly but the more I used it the better it looked! The Endura is still my favourite pattern.
My version of a classic Spyderco and the most comfortable G10 scales because of the large bevels.
My version of a classic Spyderco and the most comfortable G10 scales because of the large bevels.
Sorry for the low-res photo. I can't seem to load anything bigger. I'll have to work out how you more experienced forumites do it because there are many great photos on this forum.

Dan
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Manix LW with DLC/BD1.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Delica 1 PS in AUS8 with the fat FRN clip purchased at Sun and Skip Sports in 1992. Sadly lost. The clip, shape and spydihole were revolutionary for me having used SAKs before that.
Replaced it with a saber ground Delica 3 PS in ATS 55 in 1997.
Still going strong (rides in my work truck).
Now I have 31 Spydies
Last edited by Superflex on Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.