What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by TenGrainBread »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 pm
Reprofiled it already? Looks like you sharpened the top behind the tip a little for some extra pokey-ness :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:

Vivi, is this a Rebar with a CLIP?! If so, how did you don this`?!

The Rebar is my favorite "full sized" leatherman, I´d love mine to have a clip!! (And a diamond coated file..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Nice Wharnie! Hows the Q-Ball breaking in for you?
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

Tim Zowada. Micarta handle, AUS8 steel from the olden days.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I’m too new to the forum or too old in age to Figure out how to delete a double post or not make it in the first place.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JMM wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:22 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Nice Wharnie! Hows the Q-Ball breaking in for you?

Well, I kind of cheated. I made a simple paracord fob to help operate the lock and it's much easier now. I'm considering trying to make a tab out of PVC to replace the cord.

It's just a short piece of cord with a not on both ends.

JMM

Post by JMM »

That's a clever idea, well done -- LMK how that works, I'd wager it'll make the break-in process quicker & easier.... I wish I'd thought of it. ;)

Cheers,

John
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

With the Rex 45 Manix it is like with all my Spydies: I just can´t rust them. :o
I actually really like patina and not too severe signs of corrosion on tool steel blades, it gives them character and each knife an individual look.
But even the Rex45 shows almost no signs of it (just some slight areas of patina and some spots that almost can´t be seen), despite it is the first knife I sometimes deliberately leave covered with juices of fruit, vegetables or meat for an hour or so before cleaning it - does not do much (edit: I am not actually trying to force a patina though)
Like carrying it iwb while sweaty trailruns does not do anything to it either. No idea why this is, other guys obviously just have to carry such a knife in the pocket for some hours on a summer day and it already corrodes, but my folders just don´t rust.

Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

B2056CFF-5DB5-4039-9228-E4AF79375B37.jpeg
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 am
With the Rex 45 Manix it is like with all my Spydies: I just can´t rust them. :o
I actually really like patina and not too severe signs of corrosion on tool steel blades, it gives them character and each knife an individual look.
But even the Rex45 shows almost no signs of it (just some slight areas of patina and some spots that almost can´t be seen) - despite it is the first knife I sometimes deliberately leave covered with juices of fruit, vegetables or meat for an hour or so before cleaning it - does not do much, like carrying it iwb while sweaty trailruns does not do anything to it either. No idea why this is, other guys obviously just have to carry such a knife in the pocket for some hours on a summer day and it already corrodes, but my folders just don´t rust.

I have found citrus to patina most tool steels quicker than just about anything -- grapefruit, lime, tangerines, blood oranges, etc...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 am
I have found citrus to patina most tool steels quicker than just about anything -- grapefruit, lime, tangerines, blood oranges, etc...

I did also cut citrus fruits with my REX 45 Manix - still really almost no sign of patina.
To be clear: I do not try and want to "artificially" actually force a patina with all I can. I like to develop it more naturally, so it mirrors and shows just the natural day to day use of my knives. With the Manix, as said, I just left it sometimes longer covered in whatever juices before cleaning than I would normally, but never kept it for example in concentrated acid liquids for like a night or so.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

*THIS IS NOT MINE*

My buddy at work that gets into all these knife raffles and exchange groups, ends up with a lot of interesting knives, knives I wouldn't care to use because most aren't practical edc knives. He shows up today and surprises me with this one, his first Spyderco! The scales DEFINITELY are not my thing, they are also very smooth. But finally getting to check out the Manix XL in hand is a nice experience. It's a huge knife for sure, but I find it very comfortable in hand. I don't think I'll be buying one for myself, but he told me I can use it today if I want...which I will!

I myself, have the K390 Endela in pocket.

Resized_20210126_090344.jpeg
Resized_20210126_090358.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:50 pm
vivi wrote:

Vivi, is this a Rebar with a CLIP?! If so, how did you don this`?!

The Rebar is my favorite "full sized" leatherman, I´d love mine to have a clip!! (And a diamond coated file..)
That's a Leatherman Kick with the optional factory clip. Took six months of watching ebay to score one with the clip. Its only 5oz or so, carries well this way.
TenGrainBread wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 pm

Reprofiled it already? Looks like you sharpened the top behind the tip a little for some extra pokey-ness :D
I was working on a machete yesterday. Street Beat is getting a new edge sometime this week though.
:unicorn
PStone

Post by PStone »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:03 am
*THIS IS NOT MINE*

My buddy at work that gets into all these knife raffles and exchange groups, ends up with a lot of interesting knives, knives I wouldn't care to use because most aren't practical edc knives. He shows up today and surprises me with this one, his first Spyderco! The scales DEFINITELY are not my thing, they are also very smooth. But finally getting to check out the Manix XL in hand is a nice experience. It's a huge knife for sure, but I find it very comfortable in hand. I don't think I'll be buying one for myself, but he told me I can use it today if I want...which I will!

Man!! That one is a looker! I love it. I have a Case knife with that same patriotic kirinite. Beautiful stuff. Tell that coworker at least one person has some super serious Spyderco-envy. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
*THIS IS NOT MINE*

Whoah, actually the scales are really not my thing either, but still I love them for whatever reason! Cool.

/ Yes, the XL must be great as a knife but not so much in carry. I know again not YOUR thing ;), but I´d still like to see a Manix XL lightweight
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:28 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
*THIS IS NOT MINE*

Man!! That one is a looker! I love it. I have a Case knife with that same patriotic kirinite. Beautiful stuff. Tell that coworker at least one person has some super serious Spyderco-envy. :spyder:
He often trades and lets knives go, I'll tell him to keep me in mind if we wants to part with it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
*THIS IS NOT MINE*

I've used that patriot kirinite on a few mules and it's slick for sure but I suppose it has to be. Day one with the K390 Endela. I do like the handle a little better than the Endura and it came hair whittling sharp :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Holland

Post by Holland »

20210126_125217_copy_3024x1701.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE