The Shark Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CTomz

The Shark Hunter

Post by CTomz »

Would anyone else be interested in a 8-10" blade version of the Fish Hunter? They could call it the Shark Hunter. I think it would make an awesome ocean knife. Maybe include a slightly longer straight edge portion (2~") to make filleting and skinning easier.
sal

Re: The Shark Hunter

Post by sal »

Hi CTomz,

Welcome to our forum.

That's an awfully big knife. I'll watch the thread.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The world is fast running out of sharks, so let's not try to encourage even more needless killing. My $.02
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

I also don't believe in the needless killing of sharks- I just think it would make for a great knife. Maybe a different name. And thank you for the welcome Sal, Spyderco has long been my favourite production knife company :)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm
The world is fast running out of sharks, so let's not try to encourage even more needless killing. My $.02
I’m gonna have to agree, even if the name “Shark Hunter” is just a joke! :)
8-10 inches is rather large, even for a fishing knife, and especially with all of those grinds.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

That's a spear!
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

The whole point is that it's a big knife. It isn't for those who can't put a big knife to use.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

The best pitches include specific use cases. What would you use it for. that the Fish Hunter wouldn't work for? (This is a question, not a challenge).
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Theres a reason dive knives have all gotten smaller. Theres just no reason to swim around with a sword on you.

I still have my dads old ScubaPro dive knife from the early 70s. I love it but its huge and doesnt need to be as big as it is.

With that said, as I think about it, I do like the idea. If Spyderco wanted to stretch out the fish hunter it would be one heck of a spear.
Attachments
20210125_171335.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I would definitely pick one (or 2) up. Not interested in killing sharks, just really like the fish hunter design. As soon as they become available again I will buy one. I'm not trying to compensate for anything, just have a preference for larger fixed blade knives. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

I supposed it wouldn't be the most useful "dive knife" in the traditional sense- maybe more for "shark defense" in the same way large bowies are used for "bear defense"- just makes you FEEL a little safer LOL. I could see plenty of instances it would come in handy, though- basically any fish prep chore on a 20kg+ fish, that's why I think a larger straight edge would be handy. Would also be cool to use as a spear, lashing it to a handle of sorts. I supposed it isn't the most practical idea, and probably wouldn't have as large of an audience as I thought. Definitely a unique one!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm
Agreed!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Shark Rescue Knife
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i bet you didn't expect this thread to turn into a peta meeting.

🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

CTomz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 pm
Would anyone else be interested in a 8-10" blade version of the Fish Hunter? They could call it the Shark Hunter. I think it would make an awesome ocean knife. Maybe include a slightly longer straight edge portion (2~") to make filleting and skinning easier.
How about 6.5 to 8.5 inches? I'm in! I love the style of the Fish Hunter, and if you add 2 to 3 inches to the blade, I'd buy it. TAKE MY MONEY! But I would not make it out of H1, maybe L200N! It could even be fully serrated like the Fish Hunter and JumpMaster II are right now.

Please do not kill the idea over me not being sure regarding H1. If the project will not go forward if not H1, then make it out of H1! I just think L200N stays sharp a bit longer.

I would definitely be interested in this over the S5/S7 knife being discussed in another thread. I'd rather use an axe for the heavy duty chores they are speaking of.
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It could be called the Kaiju Hunter instead :)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I just bought my first Spyderco for 2021, a Fish Hunter. I've always loved the design. Now I just have to wait for the back-order to be filled.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:49 pm
The best pitches include specific use cases. What would you use it for. that the Fish Hunter wouldn't work for? (This is a question, not a challenge).
For me, EDC all the way. H1 or L200N will never rust and the Spyderco serrations and blade shape make it a great performer.
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
i bet you didn't expect this thread to turn into a peta meeting.

🤣
You, sir, are correct.
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm
CTomz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 pm
How about 6.5 to 8.5 inches? I'm in! I love the style of the Fish Hunter, and if you add 2 to 3 inches to the blade, I'd buy it. TAKE MY MONEY! But I would not make it out of H1, maybe L200N! It could even be fully serrated like the Fish Hunter and JumpMaster II are right now.

Please do not kill the idea over me not being sure regarding H1. If the project will not go forward if not H1, then make it out of H1! I just think L200N stays sharp a bit longer.

I would definitely be interested in this over the S5/S7 knife being discussed in another thread. I'd rather use an axe for the heavy duty chores they are speaking of.
I like your ideas- I agree that an upgrade over H1 would be nice- and maybe a slightly "beefier" tip. Not a lot, just enough that you don't have to be quite as careful. Still want to maintain that spear-like appeal.