Li'l Native Slip joint: Perfect pocket knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Li'l Native Slip joint: Perfect pocket knife?

Post by Doc Dan »

Will the Li'l Native slip joint be the perfect pocket knife? It is the right size for a dedicated actual pocket knife (none of this edc nonsense). It is a bit thick, but it cuts okay. The Urban LW is really right on target, except for the overly strong action that can be hard or impossible for smaller hands to open. One thing for sure, it should be a rugged pocket knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Re: Li'l Native Slip joint: Perfect pocket knife?

Post by TomAiello »

I'm very interested in this one. I love the UKPK, and I wonder if this will be even better...
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've not had any issues carrying a standard Native 5 in the bottom of my pocket the few times I've done it just to try it out. I prefer a locking blade, so I'd probably go for a standard Lil' Native back lock if I carried without a clip in the bottom of my pocket with any frequency. I've been pretty impressed with the Byrd Tern for a quality, small folder. I like my AEB-L Urban, and I've not found it at all difficult to open. I think the Native 5 Slipit will be an excellent addition to the lineup. It might be perfect for you. I'm still chasing perfect for me, but the discontinued Sage 2 was pretty darn close.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Lil Native is already the perfect pocket knife for me! :D

I'll definitely be trying out one of the slipit models as well though.
-Nick :bug-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'm not sure what is the difference between a pocket knife and a EDC knife, but I like the idea of a slipit Lil'native.
I've been hoping for this knife to materialize ever since Eric disclosed a slipjoint version was in the plans.

My motivation for wanting a small slipjoint with modern features like pocket clip and one hand operation was to a large degree me wanting to circumvent legal restrictions while not giving up practical features.
The thing is though, laws around here doesn't specifically allow slipjoints, so it's not a free pass to carry, but rather a means to substantiate good intentions by carrying something that is pretty much unsuitable in a tactical / self defense or criminal intent.
However, since no definition exist for lawful carry and locks are not specifically prohibited, I've realized that there are other ways to achieve the same (uncertain) result.
Small sheepsfoot blades like the Manbug salt is pretty much useless in a tactical / offensive role, and have the added benefit of a lock.
Basically, now that the Lil'slip is finally here, I'm not really sure where it fits into my selection. If I lived in UK or similar jurisdiction where it's specifically allowed, I would probably be all over it, but as it stands I will wait and see how it's received while I put some more thought into how it would benefit my use case
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

I'm also exited for the lil native slipit. I must I would much prefer a deep carry clip on it, though. Not sure I understand the thought process in using the standard clip. Epecially when this will be used in places that prohibit locking knives and where the discreteness of the wire clip would be welcome. Either way, this is definitely on my list for 2021 (alongside too many from the recent reveal!).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Does it still have that ridiculously thick blade? If so, then it is far from perfect. It could have been perfect, but no.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm sure it is thick bladed. The Li'l Native is the proper answer to the Techno, which is not a practical knife, though over built. The Li'l Native is built strongly, too, but has better ergos and a better and more useful blade style, IMO.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Eee

Post by Eee »

It feels to me like it will make a good big little knife, kinda like a smaller PITS, with the Urban being the slicey option in that size range. The thicker blade may well suit that.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

The Dragonfly2 has been out for a long time. I guess you must have missed it.
Eee

Post by Eee »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:15 am
The Dragonfly2 has been out for a long time. I guess you must have missed it.
A fine choice if you can carry locking knives. I find the Urban more hand filling than the Dragonfly too.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't think you can beat the UKPK when it comes to slippies. The thin knife and blade, incredible ergos, generous cutting edge for a knife that size. I had an Urban for a while too, but always reached for the UKPK. I had the St Nicks Lil Native exclusive for a bit to try out the model, but it just didn't work for me. The combination of the thick blade stock and short stubby blade didn't make much sense to me. I also didn't find very appealing to look at, it's a pretty ugly little knife in my eyes compared to the UKPK.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve just picked up the comp lock lil native; it seems good in all manner of grips but I’m wondering whether having to use the choil on the slipjoint version might restrict the ways you will be able to hold it in use.
What do I know ?!- with Eric’s track record in ergo’s it will probably be perfect!
Eee

Post by Eee »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am
I’ve just picked up the comp lock lil native; it seems good in all manner of grips but I’m wondering whether having to use the choil on the slipjoint version might restrict the ways you will be able to hold it in use.
What do I know ?!- with Eric’s track record in ergo’s it will probably be perfect!

That’s my hope, that it is better for more grips. The UKPK comfortable as it is, locks me into fewer
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I'm looking forward to it.
I like die UKPK Vera much and also the Lil Native.
So the Slipit will be great.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Some of the new releases, like this Slipit Native, have really made me realize I have a collector’s spirit and user’s mind.
So many knives and not enough hands, pockets, or money get them all at once! :o
However, the little native is very tempting for my uses and I do enjoy a nice Slip joint...
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am sure the Lil has its uses, but for me, a clip-less Raffir Noble Chaparral is the perfect pocket knife. The handles are thin and polished, making it a smooth little pebble in the bottom of my pocket. The lack of friction means it's effortless to retrieve and slip it back single-handedly.

The knife itself is kinda perfect IMO - thin, slicey blade, good steel, great ergonomics, good action, strong back-lock and steel liners. Handsome.

Thick and textured FRN or G10 scales won't give me the same experience, I have the FRN version and I don't like it as much.. But polished bird's eye maple will work well. Looking forward to that.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 am
Does it still have that ridiculously thick blade? If so, then it is far from perfect. It could have been perfect, but no.

I have to echo this. The Lil Native sure is a very cool design, but functionally speaking for me personally the furthest away from "perfect" as a cutting tool in the line of Spydercos small folders. Just my 2c of course

If it has to be a slip joint:
- The Urban blows the Lil Native out of the water: Same closed length, but lighter, thinner, better clip for a small knife, more blade, more cutting edge, thinner, slicier but way strong enough blade (Lil Native blade 30% thicker)

If it may have a lock:
- The Chaparral beats it easily: Almost the same short closed length, thinner, lighter, a lot more blade and edge, better clip for a small knife, a much better cutter (blade of the Lil Native 60% thicker) but still really strong
- The DFly (just a bit smaller in closed length and edge length) for me is also better in most aspects (blade stock, weight, thinness in the pocket, clip...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:50 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 am

I have to echo this. The Lil Native sure is a very cool design, but functionally speaking for me personally the furthest away from "perfect" as a cutting tool in the line of Spydercos small folders. Just my 2c of course

If it has to be a slip joint:
- The Urban blows the Lil Native out of the water: Same closed length, but lighter, thinner, better clip for a small knife, more blade, more cutting edge, thinner, slicier but way strong enough blade (Lil Native blade 30% thicker)

If it may have a lock:
- The Chaparral beats it easily: Almost the same short closed length, thinner, lighter, a lot more blade and edge, better clip for a small knife, a much better cutter (blade of the Lil Native 60% thicker) but still really strong
- The DFly (just a bit smaller in closed length and edge length) for me is also better in most aspects (blade stock, weight, thinness in the pocket, clip...)
I agree, too short and wide and thick for my needs as a small EDC.

The UKPK on the other hand is close to perfect...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I'm excited about it! I am hoping that the little native becomes the base model of a Spyderco custom shop. With three choices of locks, (none, lockback, and Compression lock.) then offer three or four steels for each, some handle options and then Spyderco will have a custom option that would be legal almost anywhere in the world. Can't wait to get mine. My primary knife is a Chap, it will be nice to have something similarly sized but with a more robust build and blade.

Grizz