Stretch in k390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Stretch in k390

Post by sal »

Hi Thunderpants,

Apology accepted. Thanx much. Pricing is a bigger problem in Europe. We've not been able to make it easier to get our products to you in Europe. My apologies to you :o We truly appreciate your interest in our products despite the excessive costs.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Thunderpants wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 pm
Apologies for my choice of words!
I appreciate that special materials will cost more, and I don't mind paying more for metal that is superior in some way. My remark concerned the price difference between the ZDP Endura and the ZDP Stretch; possibly because the ZDP Endura was such a bargain, the less attractive price of the Stretch always dissuaded me from buying one - over 150 euros one starts to notice all kinds of other lovely offerings from Spyderco and others.
Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to diss your entire pricing policy or to cause any offence!

I see now. I wasn't sure if you were comparing the ZDP-189 Stretch to the VG-10 Endura. Looking at the specs, it does seem odd that the Stretch has a nearly 16% premium over the Endura in ZDP-189. I was thinking the blade blank of the Stretch was much bigger (height wise), but it doesn't appear to be more than 1-2 mm taller than the Endura at the ricasso. So I am not sure if they would even use different blanks or if they are all laser/water cut out of a large sheet or how any of that works that would drive the steel cost per model? They do seem very close in specs in terms of size. Maybe there is more effort required to grind and/or sharpen the Stretch?

Or perhaps they use volume pricing where they can price the Endura lower since they sell so many more of them than the Stretch? The low sales volume of the Stretch may require a higher profit margin to remain a viable product? It's been 20 years since my managerial cost accounting class but I am guessing this plays into it.

Basically if you want to make a million in profit per model, and you can sell a million Enduras, you only need to price it $1 over the total fixed and variable costs that go into making an Endura (for the sake of discussion these prices are what the distributor would pay Spyderco..there will be markups to the user from the distributor/dealers of course). Now say you can sell 50,000 Stretches at $20 over the total cost per unit. That will net you a cool mil in profits. But let's say your demand at $1 over the total cost is only 100,000 Stretches because there just aren't that many people who like the design at any price, then you are only going to get $100,000 in profit. So at that point you scrap the Stretch entirely and put the production capacity into a model that CAN get you a million in profit, like a Cru-carta Endela perhaps. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steel City,

You are overthinking this. The difference is more in the manufacturing chain involved. We actually take a smaller margin to compensate.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

Putting pricing aside for a moment - I find it interesting that when comparing Endela and Stretch (both in ‘standard FRN’) purely based on the dimensions - the Stretch is noticeably heavier. Is it simply more ‘bulky’, or is the internal construction different?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Getting this thread back on track, I can't wait for the Stretch in K390. That might be the next "must buy" for me. I'd prefer a Straight Spine, but I'll buy it either way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am not enamored by the SSS. I like curves.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matius,

The Stretch is more "hand filling". I don't know if it's heavier.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you sal. I was referring to the Stretch weighting 105 g versus Endela 88 g. But I guess that difference comes with the Stretch being more hand filling.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 am
Thank you sal. I was referring to the Stretch weighting 105 g versus Endela 88 g. But I guess that difference comes with the Stretch being more hand filling.

Yes, the Stretch 2 is just wider both in blade and handle = more material.
Still pretty light though when you think of it has essentially PM2 dimensions
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Noticed the K390 Stretch was not included in the new Product guide - hoping it comes out in one of the next Reveals.

The ZDP Stretch sure did look good though.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 am
Putting pricing aside for a moment - I find it interesting that when comparing Endela and Stretch (both in ‘standard FRN’) purely based on the dimensions - the Stretch is noticeably heavier. Is it simply more ‘bulky’, or is the internal construction different?
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 am
Matus wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 am

Yes, the Stretch 2 is just wider both in blade and handle = more material.
Still pretty light though when you think of it has essentially PM2 dimensions
The Stretch is certainly heavier because it is bulkier.

I have noticed that the Stretch liners are also larger (fuller) than the Delicas' in relation to the overall handle profile. I don't have any Endelas or Enduras to check (My 'Enduras' are Pac Salt 2s).

I think the answer may be both- bulkier and slightly different design/ construction details.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Noticed the K390 Stretch was not included in the new Product guide - hoping it comes out in one of the next Reveals.

Yes, and I am curious if it will have a straight or curved spine... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 am
kennethsime wrote:

Remind me, do you prefer one or the other? I'm happy with both, but think I prefer the straight spine.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 am
kennethsime wrote:

Remind me, do you prefer one or the other? I'm happy with both, but think I prefer the straight spine.

Well, first and foremost I prefer the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2. The "1" is still one of the best pocket knives ever, it has essentially a Rock Jumper handle (and the exact same closed length), but offers 0.42" more blade and 0.35" more edge than the Rockjumper despite having a choil (differently to the Rock Jumper).

Between Stretch 2 "regular" and Stretch 2 straight spine I slightly prefer the former. Only thing I like more in the SS: It has a slightly longer blade and a bit more cutting edge (due to the longer blade and the shorter blade part of the choil).
But I am happy with both versions! Great designs, almost as good as the "1" was (and for really huge hands certainly even better)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I couldn't be happier (unless they offered an OD Green FRN).

TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Looks great. Anyone still holding out hope for a Stretch XL eventually?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm
I have no doubt it's in the works, but I like the Stretch as-is. The Military fills my big knife needs for now.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

SOLD! Thank you Sal!
Josh
anycal

Post by anycal »

Pre-ordered. But only because I have a new home for my VG10 SS Stretch. And K390!
Peter
sal

Post by sal »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm
Funny you should mention it, I'm testing an early prototype.

sal