As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by Xformer »

I've been a Spyderco fan for as long as I've carried a knife on me. I only buy my knives from three brands and Spyderco is among them.

Para-2, Dragonfly, Delica... I've supported Spyderco for years, even bought Delicas for at least 7 people. My own wife is carrying a Dragonfly around and I always make sure she can prononce Spyderco well enough, just in case people ask her what brand her knife is. As we speak, I have a Techno 2 on delivery.

Yet, I think the whole situation around the Slyzc Bowie put a stain to Spyderco's reputation in my eyes. The reputation and popularity of the Slyzc Bowie right now is through the roof. In fact, the whole phenomenon around it is quite crazy. Even in Europe, where I live, where they don't watch Nick Shabazz review, the Slyzc Bowie is selling for 700€. The offers are gone in less than 2 days. Who's profiting from the knife recent popularity ? Shameless scalpers.

I'm not an industrial guy, I'm just a Police investigator. I'm sure it's harder than just pushing a button, but I've yet to understand why Spyderco isn't releasing the Slyzc Bowie again and cutting scalpers business short. Sure, it's not a first world problem, but it's still a problem to me and I'm speaking from my heart here. The Slyzc Bowie is a marvel in my eyes. It's the most beautiful knife ever made to me and probably the better designed one too. I could speak about the knife all day long, but I think his reputation speaks for itself.

I didn't have the chance to buy one when they were around, like a lot of people I know, bills were a priority back then. My situation is way better now and yet, I refuse to play that scalper game. It's not just about me, I'm thinking about all those people who would dream to have the knife but can't anymore. It's just sad.

Spyderco not adressing the situation outside of some vague comment is crazy to me. I don't understand. People gave **** to Benchmade for supporting the democrates some months ago, but they had the nerves to take a stance and I really would like Spyderco to do the same regarding a way less divisive problem.

Judging by the crazy phenomenon around it, there is something special about the Slyzc Bowie and it's puzzling Spyderco themselves seem to have missed that for a while. The knife might not have been a big seller back then, but we're in a different situation now.
MFlovejp

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by MFlovejp »

Please... for the love of god... please nobody feed this troll. Thank you in advance.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

So you think it's the "best-designed knife ever made" but you've never actually had one?

Scalpers are annoying but they only exist because buyers exist. That's not Spyderco's problem to solve. In fact it is the people who want this knife so badly who need to solve their own problem. Paying $700 for this knife without handling it beforehand seems like a sign of impulsivity and addiction to me. At best it's silly. At the end of the day it's a titanium frame lock knife, just like thousands of other similar knives that are following the current trend.

At the risk of sounding rude: it's just a knife. Get over it.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

To be fair, @Chapp has been here longer than any of us posting as of this post, and he is just another fan posting his sentiment and opinion with regards to a knife. His thoughts are no different than any other forumites asking Sal for this knife or that knife or this steel or that steel or this specification,etc. If the Ayoob which has been long discontinued can be reissued again, how much more a knife that has only been discontinued a few years and has an established (after)market demand? His desires are not limited to him only; a lot of forumites, social media fans, youtubers, have asked for a reissue or an update of this knife.

@Chapp, I do understand and share your sentiments but it would be a stretch to call this disparity of supply over demand a stain in the company's eyes. I'm sure Sal has considered this... you are not the first, nor would be the last, to ask for a rerun of the Slysz Bowie.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Have you tried the Swayback or Spydiechef? They are pretty cool.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would rather tham make an XL version.

The Slysz Skinny idea, that's been kicked around here, would fit the bill.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm
So you think it's the "best-designed knife ever made" but you've never actually had one?

Scalpers are annoying but they only exist because buyers exist. That's not Spyderco's problem to solve. In fact it is the people who want this knife so badly who need to solve their own problem. Paying $700 for this knife without handling it beforehand seems like a sign of impulsivity and addiction to me. At best it's silly. At the end of the day it's a titanium frame lock knife, just like thousands of other similar knives that are following the current trend.

At the risk of sounding rude: it's just a knife. Get over it.
I already had the chance to test one for a week, some coworker have one. Best knife I've ever had in hand.

The thing is, it's not just a knife to me and if people are willing to throw 700€ at it, it's because they feel the same. I've been a knife guy for a longtime and as far as I recall it's the first time an industrial folder created a phenomenon like this, outside of rare sprint runs. Regardless of what people think, it's not just a regular knife.

I wouldn't call you rude, but your words are certainly dismissive. I'd dare to bet you're the one who never had one in hand, that would explain the reaction.
nerdlock wrote: To be fair, @Chapp has been here longer than any of us posting as of this post, and he is just another fan posting his sentiment and opinion with regards to a knife. His thoughts are no different than any other forumites asking Sal for this knife or that knife or this steel or that steel or this specification,etc. If the Ayoob which has been long discontinued can be reissued again, how much more a knife that has only been discontinued a few years and has an established (after)market demand? His desires are not limited to him only; a lot of forumites, social media fans, youtubers, have asked for a reissue or an update of this knife.

@Chapp, I do understand and share your sentiments but it would be a stretch to call this disparity of supply over demand a stain in the company's eyes. I'm sure Sal has considered this... you are not the first, nor would be the last, to ask for a rerun of the Slysz Bowie.
At least this time, it's coming from someone who's been here for a while =D

To me it's a stain. I'm good friend with a bunch of people who talked and met with Sal in person. All told me he was a genuine and good soul. In fact, it's probaby the reason I've never hesitated to support the company, despite the weird recent choices (no update to the delica, no deep pocket carry clip for people outside the US...). Then you have the whole SB problem that beg for a solution and that Spyderco make their best to ignore...
Spydergirl88 wrote: Have you tried the Swayback or Spydiechef? They are pretty cool.
I have the Spydiechief, but it's a different beast, more like a food prep focus knife.

The Swayback is ugly as sin to me =/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It might happen, but these things take a long time. Spyderco's production schedule is probably years long, literally. Getting something like a collaborative rerun squeezed in quickly around existing commitments would be very hard to do, I imagine. Not impossible, but very difficult.

With that said. I thought I heard mention of a Slysz Bowie comeback. I think it was on the Knife Nuts Podcast? I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd say there's hope for you yet, Chapp. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

To me personally, the choice of words is not ideal if your goal is to respectfully request the return of a model that had its day. That is also probably why you were immediately met with such dismissiveness.
My advice would be to take a look at the similar threads like the C-60 Ayoob campaign, which successfully saw the return of their respective models.

Sincerely, how is any of this a “Stain on the company’s reputation”? The Delica not being updated beyond a fourth generation, the very subjective preference for deep carry pocket clips (which do exist?), or that the discontinuation of the Slysz Bowie is a “problem”?

Spyderco works with the designer a lot. To me, coming out with other knives from Marcin Slysz is the opposite of ignoring demand for their designs.
I’ll respect your opinion on the looks of the Swayback.

Have you considered that the “scalpers”, aren’t really, in this case? The knife, just like any vintage car, is a rare model that has only gone up in value since its release. I don’t really think people selling the knife for what the market has determined it is now worth entails the same “shameless” mindset as those who immediately buy up more than their share of sprint runs to sell at inflated prices the same/next day.

All of that aside, more Slysz designs are always welcome by me, Bowie’s or not.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chapp.

Thanx much for your service.

Some of our models are in very high demand. We're building them as fast as we can without compromising quality. Knife makers take a long time to train to make models like the Bowie.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Chapp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 pm
The Swayback is ugly as sin to me =/

Whaaat? 'Tis blasphemy! :D :D :D

Lol. Kidding aside, it's a great gentleman's knife carry and an amazing cutter with Spyderco's best blade finishes in my opinion (like the Slysz Bowie and Techno series) - albeit with restrictive ergonomics. Also thought it was ugly as heck until time and more pics (and forumite reactions) drew it to me, and now I'm a proud owner of one.

If ever the Bowie re-releases or has an update though, it will knock the Swayback from my luxury Spyderco collections. :cool:
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Chapp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 pm
I wouldn't call you rude, but your words are certainly dismissive. I'd dare to bet you're the one who never had one in hand, that would explain the reaction.
I'll be the first to admit that I've never had one in hand. I tend to prefer the more utilitarian Spydercos, with an exception here or there. Maybe the knife truly is a once-in-a-lifetime revelation to hold and use. I won't pretend to know because I've never held one.

However, no matter how good the design is, calling the lack of second run a "problem that Spyderco refuses to acknowledge" and a "stain on Spyderco's reputation" is just plain ridiculous. That's what I'm reacting to. Wouldn't you describe those words as hyperbolic and confrontational?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Please... for the love of god... please nobody feed this troll. Thank you in advance.
But... but... it's not about HIM. It's about all the OTHER poor people who can't afford the nice things that more affluent people have. Maybe we should start him a "Go Fund Me" so he can finally get the knife of his dreams.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It’s a nice knife for sure, but I’d love to see a CQI version with a compression lock ;) I ended up selling mine before the bubble got insane, but no regrets.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ric

Post by Ric »

A famous chocolate manufacturer here discontinues best selling variants to let the customers experience other variants and let them try other tastes as well.

I see similarities.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 pm
A famous chocolate manufacturer here discontinues best selling variants to let the customers experience other variants and let them try other tastes as well.

I see similarities.

Really? Milka? Ritter-Sport?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I would say, if the knife sells THAT well, it will not get discontinued.
The whole Slysz Bowie HYPE started with one youtuber, who praised it to heaven and then suddenly price in secondary market skyrocketed....go figure.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have the Swayback and the Chef and they are scratching this particular itch for me.

What I really want to see is the return of the Fluted Ti Millie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ric

Post by Ric »

Wartstein wrote:
Ric wrote:
A famous chocolate manufacturer here discontinues best selling variants to
Really? Milka? Ritter-Sport?
ZOTTER
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Can't limit this to just one knife to make just one person happy..

Lets bring back all Spydercos with Ridiculous / Outrageous / Skyrocketing prices on the secondary markets so everyone is happy..

Spyderco Tuff.. Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1(getting up there).. Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air.. Spyderco Burch Chubby.. Spyderco Sage 2.. Spyderco Sage 3.. Spydeco Sage 4.. Spyderco Red 4V Shaman.. Spyderco Jade M4 Shaman.. Rivers Edge Cutlery CTS 204P Para 3(seriously..$500 for a Para 3??).. Spyderco 10V K2.. Spyderco Rubicon(Seen the prices on those lately?).. Spyderco Mamba.. Spyderco C67P R.. Spyderco Southard.. Spyderco Laci Szabo.. Spyderco Euroedge.. Spyderco Tighe Stick.. Spyderco Ulize.. Spyderco Rock lobster

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one..