All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Post by bearrowland »

Autonomy
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) Love this one.

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 pm
Autonomy
I"ve never owned one of them but I sure can't argue with all the testimonies I've heard about the AUTONOMY model. Just goes to show everyone that there are a lot more of the newer Spyderco models that should be given a chance in SE.

I still want to see at least one Spyderco "recurve" model in full SE. The ULIZE would be at the top of my list>> but a Spyker would be nice as well..
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm
Just goes to show everyone that there are a lot more of the newer Spyderco models that should be given a chance in SE.

I still want to see at least one Spyderco "recurve" model in full SE. The ULIZE would be at the top of my list>> but a Spyker would be nice as well..
I’m totally with you JD!
Recurves are probably my favorite edge shape!
I’d love to see more from Spyderco and other companies overall. Serrated recurves are a hugely untapped source of strong cutting power.

The Ulize is a perfect candidate, but imagine a serrated Subvert too!
Really all of the recurves were great, from the Captain to the Kris, and sadly never got a chance with serrations (not counting the awesome hawkbills and reverse S of course).

I’m in for more Serrations across the board because they give any knife so much more of a cutting advantage which is compounded in wharncliffes and recurves.
Edit: I wanted to add that I loved the blade in the newer serrated ClipiTool as well as profess my fondness of non-locking serrated knives.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm
Just goes to show everyone that there are a lot more of the newer Spyderco models that should be given a chance in SE.

The Ulize is a perfect candidate, but imagine a serrated Subvert too!
Really all of the recurves were great, from the Captain to the Kris, and sadly never got a chance with serrations (not counting the awesome hawkbills and reverse S of course).

I’m in for more Serrations across the board because they give any knife so much more of a cutting advantage which is compounded in wharncliffes and recurves.
Interesting that you would bring up the Captain model. Because I did some digging on that one some time back and discovered that the original prototype of the original Breeden design of the Captain was in SE. That is the inner arch part was SE and the rounded, pendulum end was still PE which is kind how I would want it. Just think of what an awesome rope, cord and twine cutter that would be :cool:

I would be willing to bet that had they offered the Captain in SE they would have sold at least 4 times as many as they did.
The KRIS would also be quite interesting in SE. Even though I'm sure it would take the technicians a bit longer to put serrations on a curved type blade like the KRIS, CAPTAIN, ULIZE or any other recurve type blade the results would be worth it.

If they would do serrated versions of the ULIZE, SPYKER and the ADVENTURA I do believe once people would try them in SE the sales charts would do quite well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The best Spyerco SE model ever is the Captain. :p

Though in my and JD's dreams, it wasn't full SE. I like almost anything in SE.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 am
The best Spyerco SE model ever is the Captain. :p

Though in my and JD's dreams, it wasn't full SE. I like almost anything in SE.
But it is true that Jason Breeden's first prototype of the Captain model way before it became one of Spyderco's great collaborations was shown to many as an SE model. Again it was only serrated in the "inner arch" part of the blade leaving the rounded, pendulum end in PE. Which was A-OK with me.

But a full SE Captain in a Sprint Run might just be my next project/exploration lobbying for the next Sprint Run. Oh I know I'm a bit ahead of myself because the C-60 hasn't even been completed yet. But it just doesn't hurt to think ahead sometimes

Also I'm hoping at some point that Spyderco and Jason Breeden eventually do another collaboration.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:12 am
But it is true that Jason Breeden's first prototype of the Captain model way before it became one of Spyderco's great collaborations was shown to many as an SE model. Again it was only serrated in the "inner arch" part of the blade leaving the rounded, pendulum end in PE. Which was A-OK with me.

But a full SE Captain in a Sprint Run might just be my next project/exploration lobbying for the next Sprint Run. Oh I know I'm a bit ahead of myself because the C-60 hasn't even been completed yet. But it just doesn't hurt to think ahead sometimes

Also I'm hoping at some point that Spyderco and Jason Breeden eventually do another collaboration.
It does seem a little strange that his followup collab, the Rescue wasn't done in SE, also.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Monty

Post by Monty »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:40 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm
The Lil’ Matriarch is my personal favorite SE Spyderco. :)

I have wanted a serrated lil matriarch for a long time and have never been able to find one :cool:
We need another run of these! I've seen them for sale but at prices that would prevent me using the knife without regret.
Monty

Post by Monty »

prndltech wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

I have wanted a serrated lil matriarch for a long time and have never been able to find one :cool:
We need another run of these! I've seen them for sale but at prices that would prevent me using the knife without regret.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:47 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:12 am

It does seem a little strange that his followup collab, the Rescue wasn't done in SE, also.
Had both of those BREEDEN models been done in SE I believe at least one of them would still be in the main line up. Because both designs were just made for SE uses IMO. I just don't see the advantages ( if any) making those two models in PE :confused:

If I ever get my hands on another on another Breeden RESCUE I think I would truly spend the money to send it to Wiley Knives and have them put serrations on it. I've been reluctant to do that hoping that Spyderco would start to make more SE models. Especially with the apparent increase in popularity of SE models.

With no disrespect intended to Spyderco meant at all>> I wish they would talk to us about these issues more because truly it would have been to their advantage>> I'm sure the sales of both models would have been double if not Four-Fold. Because both of those models would have been far more useful in SE >> I'm certain of it.
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

I just got my first partially serrated Spyderco yesterday, a Para 3 with 52100 steel & carbon fiber scales and I was very impressed with the serrations. I’ll definitely be using this thread to get some ideas for my first fully serrated Spydie.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am
Had both of those BREEDEN models been done in SE I believe at least one of them would still be in the main line up. Because both designs were just made for SE uses IMO. I just don't see the advantages ( if any) making those two models in PE :confused:

If I ever get my hands on another on another Breeden RESCUE I think I would truly spend the money to send it to Wiley Knives and have them put serrations on it. I've been reluctant to do that hoping that Spyderco would start to make more SE models. Especially with the apparent increase in popularity of SE models.

With no disrespect intended to Spyderco meant at all>> I wish they would talk to us about these issues more because truly it would have been to their advantage>> I'm sure the sales of both models would have been double if not Four-Fold. Because both of those models would have been far more useful in SE >> I'm certain of it.
I'm not so sure, they were on the pricy side.

For a while I had in my signature that I was looking for Japan liner locks. Japan liner locks are usually very nice, but they aren't like most USA liner locks. They operate very smooth, the detent isn't very strong so they aren't good "flippers" and don't rocket open. They are more gentleman style where it is good to smooth controlled open them.

I think a lot of knife people would think that they aren't well made because they don't meet the requirements that cheap knives need to meet, but they are just different.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am

I'm not so sure, they were on the pricy side.

For a while I had in my signature that I was looking for Japan liner locks. Japan liner locks are usually very nice, but they aren't like most USA liner locks. They operate very smooth, the detent isn't very strong so they aren't good "flippers" and don't rocket open. They are more gentleman style where it is good to smooth controlled open them.

I think a lot of knife people would think that they aren't well made because they don't meet the requirements that cheap knives need to meet, but they are just different.
I think you might have missed my main point in what I said. But you are right when you pointed out that when the Breeden models were in the main line up they were just a bit on the pricey side. But during that time slot of 2010 to 2013 there seemed like a lot of price escalation going on across the board in Spyderco's main line up. Our old pal Doc Snubnose pointed that out to me on several occasions.

But I'm still quite certain that both the Breeden models that Spyderco did would have done much, much better on the sales charts had they been made available in FULL SE.

Because how many of Spyderco's own sheepsfoot/Rescue type blades were sold in PE? Not very many were there? How many Spyderco Hawkbills were sold in PE>> not many there either. Which tells me that there are types of blades and blade designs that fare much, much better in the market place with serrations. In the past you and I have agreed more than we've disagreed and I think you just don't quite understand where I was going with that last post.

I would love to have a C-111 Captain and Breeden RESCUE both in SE>>> I got a feeling that you would too. Again ask yourself how many RESCUE/sheepsfoot type blades did Spyderco ever sell in PE? Not many at all>> But they sure sold hundreds of them in SE in those particular blade styles/designs. The proof is in the serrated pudding on this one my friend :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:07 pm
:) Love this one.

And please ask yourself how much better is that Salt Series model in that picture is in SE? I can guarantee you that the serrated version of that model would out-sell a plain edged in that same model by probably 6 to 1 and that's being conservative with my estimate.

There are some knives that absolutely excel in SE>> but in PE they are "average" at best. The sheepsfoot RESCUE type models are a prime example along with the Hawkbill models.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Monty wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:24 am
prndltech wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

+1 to a run of the full SE Lil Matriarch!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am
I think you might have missed my main point in what I said. But you are right when you pointed out that when the Breeden models were in the main line up they were just a bit on the pricey side. But during that time slot of 2010 to 2013 there seemed like a lot of price escalation going on across the board in Spyderco's main line up. Our old pal Doc Snubnose pointed that out to me on several occasions.

But I'm still quite certain that both the Breeden models that Spyderco did would have done much, much better on the sales charts had they been made available in FULL SE.

Because how many of Spyderco's own sheepsfoot/Rescue type blades were sold in PE? Not very many were there? How many Spyderco Hawkbills were sold in PE>> not many there either. Which tells me that there are types of blades and blade designs that fare much, much better in the market place with serrations. In the past you and I have agreed more than we've disagreed and I think you just don't quite understand where I was going with that last post.

I would love to have a C-111 Captain and Breeden RESCUE both in SE>>> I got a feeling that you would too. Again ask yourself how many RESCUE/sheepsfoot type blades did Spyderco ever sell in PE? Not many at all>> But they sure sold hundreds of them in SE in those particular blade styles/designs. The proof is in the serrated pudding on this one my friend :cool:
I think you underestimate how much most of the world doesn't like SE. :p I've heard people say that you can't sharpen SE and for 99% of the population... sharpening SE is a serious problem that they can't fix.

Now that I look back, I think I paid $120 ish for my Captain, right now that seems like a bargain.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am

I think you underestimate how much most of the world doesn't like SE. :p I've heard people say that you can't sharpen SE and for 99% of the population... sharpening SE is a serious problem that they can't fix.

Now that I look back, I think I paid $120 ish for my Captain, right now that seems like a bargain.
OK first off I do hear and understand what you're saying. But I'm going to buck the popular opinion just to play "devil's advocate" for the sake of conversation. I kind of take issue with you that Spyderedges and serrations in general are universally "not liked" :confused: In the past two years I'm seeing a trend developing in the other direction.

And I do realize that our cozy little group we have here at Spyderville, Bladeforums and a couple of other websites I could name are just a microcosm of the entire knife loving world>> and we are for sure a small percentage of knife users in this country and the world too for that matter. But with that aside here in the past two years I'm running into people at gun shows and out hunting and fishing that I strike up conversations with about knives and I'm not getting nearly as many negative opinions on serrated blades as I used to hear from the knife loving public.

Mainly because Spyderco and other premium companies that make serrated blades are getting a much bigger market share in the last two years and there are more and more other knife companies that are doing combo edges and a few of them are even dabbling with full SE edges>> and many of them are the same people that use to regard SE blades as "disgusting" and impossible to sharpen. That overall negative opinion of SE blades is changing and I'm seeing it change first hand even here where I live ( Kansas City, MO metro area). You put serrations on an aggressive blade like that C-111 Captain or any of the Hawkbills and recurves I think you will see more people gravitate in that direction. I'm truly seeing a change in the landscape in people's attitude of full SE blades. Give it a chance my Brother :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 pm
OK first off I do hear and understand what you're saying. But I'm going to buck the popular opinion just to play "devil's advocate" for the sake of conversation. I kind of take issue with you that Spyderedges and serrations in general are universally "not liked" :confused: In the past two years I'm seeing a trend developing in the other direction.

And I do realize that our cozy little group we have here at Spyderville, Bladeforums and a couple of other websites I could name are just a microcosm of the entire knife loving world>> and we are for sure a small percentage of knife users in this country and the world too for that matter. But with that aside here in the past two years I'm running into people at gun shows and out hunting and fishing that I strike up conversations with about knives and I'm not getting nearly as many negative opinions on serrated blades as I used to hear from the knife loving public.

Mainly because Spyderco and other premium companies that make serrated blades are getting a much bigger market share in the last two years and there are more and more other knife companies that are doing combo edges and a few of them are even dabbling with full SE edges>> and many of them are the same people that use to regard SE blades as "disgusting" and impossible to sharpen. That overall negative opinion of SE blades is changing and I'm seeing it change first hand even here where I live ( Kansas City, MO metro area). You put serrations on an aggressive blade like that C-111 Captain or any of the Hawkbills and recurves I think you will see more people gravitate in that direction. I'm truly seeing a change in the landscape in people's attitude of full SE blades. Give it a chance my Brother :)
I really hope you're right. We will see how it goes!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys I think you all have missed one of Spyderco's most ferocious SE blades>> and it comes in a small package :cool: . First off the one small SE Spyderco blade that can perform about as good as a big SE blade is the Dodo model ( with teeth). The first generation of the SE Dodo model goes all the way back to 2003 at their inception. I had two SE Dodo models at one time and ended up trading both of them. And I could literally kick myself hard for doing such a stupid thing :o :(

For no more blade length than the Dodo model has it's unbelievable how aggressive that thing can cut. And I do hope that if we get another Sprint Run of the Dodo model we'll see some new SE versions of the Dodo. We've waited too long as it is