Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Well the lc200n Pacific Salt after map price went up $25.

Thats ridiculous.

The lc200n atlantic salt went up almost as much too.

Seems some stuff didnt change and some stuff only went up 5 or 10 dollars.

Im fine paying an extra 5 or 10 bucks. But that extra $25 for the lc200n pac salt 2 hits hard.
Yikes. Think I paid $98 for the two I have, and the one had so much play I've been meaning to send it in to Spyderco.

I don't think I've ever seen a Spyderco get a 25% price hike in a year. That's wild.
:unicorn
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

rivy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Has there yet been any confirmation of what the increase is? I see some examples in the thread, but is it a straight % across the board or does it vary by model? It would just be nice to know clearly what the increase is for this year, regardless of how we feel about it.
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:47 pm
I'm noticing some adjustments, but they don't seem to be as steep as last year.. just a few dollars here and there. Nor do the increases seem to be applied across the board to all models. For examples, Delicas are still $84. It seems the price increases were made more selectively this year?
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:12 pm
It looks like Spyderco is trying to hide the increase this time...

We typically release pricing with the new catalog. We're not quite ready for that yet (sorry for the delay, but we're close and working as quickly as we can). I'll see if there is a way to release the pricing separately in the meantime.

We don't do anything "across the board," which is why I don't have an easy answer for you. Every item is reviewed independently and adjustments (increases and sometimes even decreases) are made line by line. Historically speaking, over the years, we've absorbed increases for as long as possible. We don't price products based on what the market can bear, and we work off of relatively small margins. As Sal has said, we're a pretty transparent company. We don't try to hide anything. We strive to do business in a fair and proper manner.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Yikes. Think I paid $98 for the two I have, and the one had so much play I've been meaning to send it in to Spyderco.

I don't think I've ever seen a Spyderco get a 25% price hike in a year. That's wild.
I hope there was a mistake but probably not. Its just odd that everything else experienced either no change, or a very normal $7 or so increase.

The other salts barely went up. Maybe Seki hates lc200n lol.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 am
as well as hit or miss centering with the PM series (I got 2 DLT Para 3 Cruwears off centered last November), it comes to the point that sometimes you'll feel the need to buy 2 knives just to get one with proper centering. I would love to say I love the QC of our beloved brand, but unfortunately that is not the case nowadays.
I've purchased about 100 Spyderco knives in the past 5 years. I think I've only had one that was off center. That was the Sage 1 I bought used and I fixed it in about 5 minutes. Either I'm really lucky or you're very unlucky.

Tired of reading all the whinging. I need to stay out of threads like these

Hey SG,

I'm sorry if you are tired of all the "whinging" here. I believe we are all decent people here and we would not complain if there wasn't something valid to complain about. Daily life already has too many problems that we come here to talk and enjoy one aspect of our life that gives us joy, collecting and using Spyderco knives.

I'm just here to prove a point that I made. Here are my knives that show how inconsistent QC has been recently.

Like I said I bought 2 Para3 Cruwears last November. Both of them are off centered.

That is the other one that I sold while I kept the other one. I tried tinkering with the pivots of both knives but it still would not center, so I am guessing this is a blade grind or warp problem, I do not know, I am not a blade expert but these could not be fixed by any amount of adjustment in the hardware of the knife.

This is the one that I kept, shown together with some other Spydercos that are too off centered. The Para3 LW is still another notorious culprit of this off centering. No amount of adjustment and fidgeting with the hardware could make these guys centered. But maybe because it is of the one-washer design. Normally, it would not bother me (I still love the LWs and they are some of my favorites) but another issue is no matter how much I tighten the pivot, there is still side to side play. I have learned to let it slide and to love the knives as they are, but the point is, at the prices we are paying and with the price increases, these knives should have at least those things figured out.

Another QC issue was with the Smock's grinding in this thread.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=smock

The point is, with yearly increases, QC should keep up with it.

I love this brand and the people behind it so much, but the price to value ratio, aside from getting cool steels, is getting out of hand. Would love to get free stickers or a pouch a'la Benchmade or the dealer exclusives like St. Nicks with each purchase to compensate for the price increases, but I'm sure that is not Spyderco's marketing strategy.

Again, I apologize if my opinions has offended anyone.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:46 am
I also don’t see why Europeans being taxed to death is our problem. You guys pay all those crazy taxes sure but if we get a ride to the hospital in the ambulance we get a bill for $5000.
Hi Darby,

You are right, my taxes are not your problem and neither are they not my problem because I get good value in return. But listen and find out that the taxes alone are not responsible for the price difference between your US-street prices for Spydies and our EU-street prices, taxes and import duties are only responsible for about 1/3 or let me even round up to 1/2. The big mystery is why the further price difference?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Did the prices get bumped up again?? Last year (2020), I spent less money on, and bought less Spydercos because of the price increases. Who's loss?? Now here we are in 2021... did the prices get bumped up again?!?...

I've always wondered too,
How long ago did the knives that the prices got bumped up on each year, get made? Was it produced/brought to market for what was considered "the right price", and then have the price increased, and it only sat in a box, on a shelf for ??? months or years ???
How many things that were made in 2020 or prior & selling for one price in 2020 or prior, now cost more because it's a new year? It seems like that has happened in years past..

If it was made and marketed for "the right price" in 20pick-a-year, why bump the price on it later? It's already made. Did 'you' somehow incur more cost in the product that was already made & distributed last year, or longer ago?

Not that the mark-ups aren't bad enough, but...
wouldn't it be "neat" if it were like vehicles, among many other things. Past years/"older" inventory sold for mark downs, instead of...

Just asking questions. In no way meaning/intending to come off as a rant, or venting.

u.w.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:46 am

Every year this thread comes up and we all say the same thing. The European spyderbros all tell us that we just don’t know how good we got it. If I had to pay European prices I wouldn’t be buying Spyderco knives and I never would have.

I also don’t see why Europeans being taxed to death is our problem. You guys pay all those crazy taxes sure but if we get a ride to the hospital in the ambulance we get a bill for $5000.

Things operate a little different everywhere and making comparisons based on the price of a single imported luxury good is erroneous.

Many thanks for your sympathy, man. Much appreciated. You know ... "Sympathy: feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune."
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:48 pm
"misfortune."
Misfortune definition: Bad Luck. Not sure huge taxes imposed by your own governments qualifies as "misfortune" or Bad Luck.
Danke

Post by Danke »

If the price goes up it goes up for everyone. It the price goes up it's worse for anyone that's in a highly taxed location.

Prices on everything do seem to go up every year. I haven't cracked the code on how to solve that yet and have the indicator swing the other way.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

u.w. wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm
Did the prices get bumped up again?? Last year (2020), I spent less money on, and bought less Spydercos because of the price increases. Who's loss?? Now here we are in 2021... did the prices get bumped up again?!?...

I've always wondered too,
How long ago did the knives that the prices got bumped up on each year, get made? Was it produced/brought to market for what was considered "the right price", and then have the price increased, and it only sat in a box, on a shelf for ??? months or years ???
How many things that were made in 2020 or prior & selling for one price in 2020 or prior, now cost more because it's a new year? It seems like that has happened in years past..

If it was made and marketed for "the right price" in 20pick-a-year, why bump the price on it later? It's already made. Did 'you' somehow incur more cost in the product that was already made & distributed last year, or longer ago?

Not that the mark-ups aren't bad enough, but...
wouldn't it be "neat" if it were like vehicles, among many other things. Past years/"older" inventory sold for mark downs, instead of...

Just asking questions. In no way meaning/intending to come off as a rant, or venting.

u.w.
I guess the question would be, what is the cutoff date for when the knife was made in order to determine which ones stay the same price, and which ones go up? Should the knife that was completed December 31st stay at the same price while the one finished 4 days later goes up? Then you have to find a way of keeping those models separated in inventory, while dealers would be responsible for differentiating them on their websites. "This knife has the exact same materials and workmanship as this other knife, but since it was completed 4 days later, we have to charge more for it".

Past years/older models do sometimes sell for less, but it's usually when they've been discontinued and they're being clearanced out.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
PStone

Post by PStone »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm
rivy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Has there yet been any confirmation of what the increase is? I see some examples in the thread, but is it a straight % across the board or does it vary by model? It would just be nice to know clearly what the increase is for this year, regardless of how we feel about it.
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:47 pm
I'm noticing some adjustments, but they don't seem to be as steep as last year.. just a few dollars here and there. Nor do the increases seem to be applied across the board to all models. For examples, Delicas are still $84. It seems the price increases were made more selectively this year?
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:12 pm
It looks like Spyderco is trying to hide the increase this time...

We typically release pricing with the new catalog. We're not quite ready for that yet (sorry for the delay, but we're close and working as quickly as we can). I'll see if there is a way to release the pricing separately in the meantime.

We don't do anything "across the board," which is why I don't have an easy answer for you. Every item is reviewed independently and adjustments (increases and sometimes even decreases) are made line by line. Historically speaking, over the years, we've absorbed increases for as long as possible. We don't price products based on what the market can bear, and we work off of relatively small margins. As Sal has said, we're a pretty transparent company. We don't try to hide anything. We strive to do business in a fair and proper manner.

Kristi
Not trying to stir the pot. I trust Spyderco is doing whatever you all need to in order to keep making knives for us. But wasn’t a lot of this confusion caused by Knifecenter sending out a mass email and also declaring on their main page that Dec31st was the last time to get 2020 pricing? That Spyderco products were increasing in price Jan1st. This is why I thought everything is going up across the board:
Good to know that is not the case. Although maybe say something to the guys at knifecenter that they may have sold a few extra knives, but caused a few extra headaches too.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The crazy increase on the LC200N models seems like a huge ball drop on someones part at Spyderco. Either they did the math wrong in the first place, or LC200N got way more expensive in December. Models that have been out a matter of weeks get a 25% increase in price? How is that not going to p**s people off? Especially with the QC issues. If you didn't roll the dice on a knife from this early batch, you get a 25% penalty?

Looks like most of the knives got about a 5% bump. (Does this make +20% in less than 5 years?) There have been some pretty silly suggestions and complaints in this thread, but a lot of valid concerns. It's getting to the point that I'll probably primarily be buying used Spydercos, and seconds going forward, or sadly, shopping for other brands.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

araneae wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 pm
The crazy increase on the LC200N models seems like a huge ball drop on someones part at Spyderco. Either they did the math wrong in the first place, or LC200N got way more expensive in December. Models that have been out a matter of weeks get a 25% increase in price? How is that not going to p**s people off? Especially with the QC issues. If you didn't roll the dice on a knife from this early batch, you get a 25% penalty?

Looks like most of the knives got about a 5% bump. (Does this make +20% in less than 5 years?) There have been some pretty silly suggestions and complaints in this thread, but a lot of valid concerns. It's getting to the point that I'll probably primarily be buying used Spydercos, and seconds going forward, or sadly, shopping for other brands.
I was very disappointed with the bladeplay in my LC200N Pacific but since I just bought it for testing I chose not to return the knife. I was excited about the LC200N Atlantics but I won't be a buyer at $125. I just don't think the value is there.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

araneae wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 pm

I get the gist of what you're saying and concur for the most part; however, in my humble best uninformed guess, I don't think that the cost of LC200N got way more expensive in December. LC200N is not really an expensive steel comparatively. It is, however, my uneducated guess that during these trying times, importation/exportation between countries has presented a new set of problems and costs.

The fact that the Japanese made LC200N Pac Salt 2 jumped from a MAP price of $101.50 to $126 is more than a bit of a shocker especially since that Japanese maker is obviously having QC issues with this knife. Mine has very noticeable lock rock and all the screws except for the clip screws were loose and others have reported the same.

Here on our side of the pond, US made knives with L200N have reflected only a nominal increase in price. I paid $168 for a Siren last year and the price increased to an acceptable $175. The price increase on the US made Waterway and Caribbeans seem nominal, too. Under the circumstances it just doesn't make sense for me to buy LC200N knives made in Japan. The H1 Salt prices increases were not really extensive so maybe they should stick with H1 and leave LC200N to someone else. Just another reason for me to keep campaigning for a Serrated Siren. Some have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the LC200N Atlantic but how warmly it will be received remains to be seen. Gotta wonder if this is the same maker that will be doing the C-60 Ayoob sprint.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The street price increase of about 25% on the LC200N Pacific Salt2 and Atlantic Salt are difficult to fathom and swallow. I was guessing a price increase and forewarned back in September (see below) but couldn’t imagine a whopping 25% increase!
RamZar wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:40 pm
All four upcoming Pacific Salt2 (Japan) and Atlantic Salt (Japan) folders with LC200N and FRN are great values at $101.50 and $99.40 respectively when you consider that the Native5 LC200N FRN (USA) folders go for $130.20!

If these are not out by mid-December 2020 I'd pre-order them to lock in the prices in case they go up for 2021.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm

We don't do anything "across the board," which is why I don't have an easy answer for you.

Kristi
The MAP was a uniform implementation in 2016, as was the reduction of the "discount" off MSRP from 40% to 30%. Now there is also an "across the board" increase but you've adjusted the MSRP itself instead of the "MAP."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Remember this thread?

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 378cf95835

Didn't age too well didn't it?

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Pac Salt 2 available for preorder at BHQ for $101. Atlantic Salt 2 for $99. At these uncertain times when recession is looming hard over many economies, these knives represent an incredible value from Spyderco.

I wrote these kind words 3 months ago. I guess I'll be swallowing them now. Really, really hard to justify a 25% increase no matter how you look at it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 pm
Menipo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:48 pm
"misfortune."
Misfortune definition: Bad Luck. Not sure huge taxes imposed by your own governments qualifies as "misfortune" or Bad Luck.

Not sure? Bad Luck definition: an unfortunate condition or event. I hope that the clarification helps to provide certainty.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I don’t think some nonsensical political semantics was the point of this thread.
It’s clear to me those involved in such are being willfully ignorant to what each other mean.

Passive aggressive little bouts bother me because they only prolong the already unnecessary argument without ever getting to the point.

Maybe I’m out of line for participating at all, and I’m not trying to admonish everyone I perceive to be unhelpful here, but that’s what I think. The growing expenses and subsequent price increases for and from Spyderco/other companies is unfortunate.

There’s nothing constructive about placing blame here unless that blame is on what causes the prices to rise so we can discuss how, or if, it can be addressed.

Now, excuse my frustration, I will continue to save up for the things I’d like to buy at some point. Nothing I really know to do at the moment which makes that any easier in regards to slowing, or reversing price increases.
So, personally, this doesn’t change much besides being a minor set back to accomplishing that goal.
Maybe someone can offer a suggestion or important information.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
brj

Post by brj »

VooDooChild wrote:
Well the lc200n Pacific Salt after map price went up $25.

Thats ridiculous.
Ouch, just ouch. Glad I've got mine back in December. Alas, under these circumstances I'll mostly never buy the SE LC200N PS, bit of a shame, really.

Regardless, I guess my philosophy would remain the same "if I see something that I like and have the cash available, I'll get it". There are worse problems to have in life than shelling out more than you initially expected on stuff that you really like or wanna try. And I'm glad to know the extra money I spend with Spyderco would go intro extra R&D or towards their employees, they are fully entitled to a raise just like everybody else, especially after a year like 2020.