proposed English knife laws

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
LONE WOLF

proposed English knife laws

Post by LONE WOLF »

Ted

Post by Ted »

So no more traditional 'Chef' knives? Only small parings & Santuko's ? :eek: :eek:

Ted
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I think that one would find that the majority of knife attacks in most countries are made with common kitchen knives. Ban them and what's next? - spatula attacks :confused:

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Blame the tool and ban the tool until there are no more. No knives, no scissors, no screwdrivers, no hammers, no nothing. Blame and ban again and again.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Same stuff I rant about every now and then! It will never end, the laws get stricter until all thats left is an outright ban. It's brought to you in the US by the same people who said you couldn't buy a rifle with a pistol grip, flash supressor, and a bayonet lug.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i love this bit of that article "However, now domestic knives do not need sharpening, and numerous other kitchen utensils can be used to spear food"
why did i buy a sharpmaker then - my knives dont need to be sharpened
chux

Post by chux »

The 'Rapid Response' section at the bottom of the article does provide some evidence that common sense and logical thought have not completely abandoned the country just yet.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is for authors in a medical journal to try and make political points, especially ones so stupid.
Byrði betri ber-at maður brautu að en sé manvit mikið.
fret

Post by fret »

Rumor? I did hear that a Senator or Congressman wants to ban all long bladed knives in the US. The idea being that the people don't need a large knife and that the large knives are only used to attack people. :eek: I heard it on the news on the tv but forget the channel #. My first thought was, "is this nut crazy?". I use a large, pointed chef's knife to cut homemade bread and large hams and chickens. I've tried shorter bladed knives but the don't work well. Seems like the US has a "law" for everything. I'm probably breaking the law when I walk out to my mailbox. :confused:
Grilled-Cheese

Post by Grilled-Cheese »

That is just wrong. It's just like that lady suing McDonald's because the coffee was hot. It's like people blaming the computer for their problems. Yeah, it's the computer that's stupid, not you right?

People need to get an education and quit being such wimps. :)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

fret wrote:Rumor? I did hear that a Senator or Congressman wants to ban all long bladed knives in the US. The idea being that the people don't need a large knife and that the large knives are only used to attack people. :eek: I heard it on the news on the tv but forget the channel #. My first thought was, "is this nut crazy?". I use a large, pointed chef's knife to cut homemade bread and large hams and chickens. I've tried shorter bladed knives but the don't work well. Seems like the US has a "law" for everything. I'm probably breaking the law when I walk out to my mailbox. :confused:
I'm on my soapbox again! You probably heard right. This was the same question asked by the gun people 10 years ago when they banned rifles with pistol grips, flash supressors, and bayonet lugs, hence, the assault weapon ban. That's how it starts in this country, little by little.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

greencobra wrote:.................. That's how it starts in this country, little by little.

...........And that's exactly how it started in this country, little by little! :mad:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Rob

Post by Rob »

I read a short note in todays newspaper about it. Sounds pretty crazy to me.

A dagger type kitchen knife? DAGGER type??? I don't think that I use any daggers in my kitchen nor does my father who actually is a chef. Knives? Plenty but not even one dagger. If I want to cook meat it's usually already dead when I have it in the kitchen and so I don't have to stab it first and that's exactly the only use that daggers are made for :mad:

They can't take a tool that has been around for centuries and asociate it with a weapon! And above all: it would most definitely not make any difference. If someone wants to attack somebody with a blunt tipped kitchen knife, he will. If he wants to cause life threatening or lethal damage to the victim he will. If he decides that the blunt tip is not good for this, he will take a smaller kitchen knife with a fine tip and do just the same. IMO there is absolutely no point (pun not intended) in such a law.

I feel sorry for all British forumites. You have my sympathy! :( Where will this all lead to?

I am so happy to live in a country where the government doesn't care about knives...

Cheers, Rob
chux

Post by chux »

Rob wrote:I am so happy to live in a country where the government doesn't care about knives...
Yet...

stay vigilant or your freedoms may go the same way as ours
Byrði betri ber-at maður brautu að en sé manvit mikið.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You are right, Chux. Everytime I read about a country that just presented new and stricter laws concerning knives to the public, I wonder when our government will realize what's going on in other countries regarding this topic.

Germany changed the law not so long ago, the UK already has a very strict law and plans to tighten it even more, Ireland and Denmark are also not really "knife-friendly" countries and if a am not mistaken, France is also very strict about knives, Switzerland is also a little uneasy about knives despite almost everybody has an assault-rifle at home :rolleyes: . The scandinavian countries and some of the BeNeLux could also be a bit hostile if you carry a knife in public and I am not sure about Italy.

So what's left from the EU? Not very much, and I am sure that I missed some countries in this list.

There is clearly a tendency to political correct societies where the governments is trying to protect the population from itself. What a brave new world...

What I don't understand about this issue is that 20 or thirty years ago nobody had a problem with people who were carrying a pocket knife. Nowadays you are treated like a criminal in many countries just for carrying a useful tool. Actually you'll become a criminal if you do so. Even here in Austria people will look at you like if you were a mass murderer when you take out a knife to cut a bun in two halfes in public although knives are not even mentioned in our weapons-law.

I wonder what will come next. Maybe a country prohibiting scissors because they are dagger type device that could be used to injure someone? I hope not! Another situation where my signature shows how true it's meanung is. Principiis obsta = beware of the beginnings

Cheers, Rob
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Rob,

As with all of Western society it seems at the moment, a break down of the social fabric has led to all sorts of problems. "Weapons" carrying by youths and their subsequent, testostorone induced behavior has attracted a lot of media coverage. Especially as we've just had a general election.

It is my opinion, that these thugs are carrying kitchen knives because of laws already introduced. Namely, knife retailers, gun shops etc, cannot not sell knives, by law, to them. In fact my local gunshop will not sell a knife to anyone he believes is under 21, unless they have a valid firearms licence or military ID card! So consequently, they are taking their "weapons" from the household kitchen! Judging by this, it will not be long before they are back to big sticks and rocks, because if they want a "weapon", they will find one!

What is more incredible is that this call for a ban was made by a couple of doctors. Again, we already have a problem with actually HOSPITALS causing the death of some 3000 people a year due to inadequate cleaning and the MSRA bug!! Perhaps they need to be looking more to the wider dispertion of mops than the curtailing of someone else's tool!

It was also said at one time that doctors in the UK, due to incompetance and illegal euthanaisia, killed more in the UK than any other attributable group!!

Anyway, rant over!

God bless,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
The Deacon

Meanwhile, closer to home...

Post by The Deacon »

... we have this story, from today's Albany Times Union:
"J.T.'s Law," named after a 3-year-old boy who choked to death on a hot dog, would mandate warning labels on foods that "pose a demonstrably high risk of choking to children." If it passes, New York would be the first state to require labels for choking risks.

Another bill would require chain restaurants to post nutritional information about their offerings, including calories, fat and sugar, similar to the data found on packaged foods.

But such efforts don't necessarily sit well with groups who believe government is becoming too intrusive in the affairs of the public and private business. Restaurant owners say many of the proposals also would pose an unnecessary burden on them.

"We're living in a time when our legislators are overzealous in managing people's lives," said state Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long. "Government has a responsibility to protect citizens, but some responsibilities fall on the citizens themselves."

J.T's Law, sponsored by Sen. Dean Skelos and Assemblyman Bob Barra, both Nassau County Republicans, would establish an Office of Choking Hazard Evaluation within the state Health Department. That office would establish criteria for determining which foods pose choking risks. Such foods would be banned from sale in the state unless they have a warning label.

"Every time there is some unfortunate mishap, you can't get a doorway big enough to fit all the lawmakers trying to run out and pass a bill they believe will solve the problem," Long said.
Although I know a couple youngsters who'd be glad to see brussel sprouts banned. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

Who wants to go "liberate" our UK friends? ****, they don't have that many guns and I'm sure we could find support.

Seriously, they've gone to far, it's time for you to rebel.
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

skcusloa wrote:Who wants to go "liberate" our UK friends? ****, they don't have that many guns and I'm sure we could find support.

Seriously, they've gone to far, it's time for you to rebel.
Amen to that.