Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Spyderco MSRP Increase for 2021?

Post by nerdlock »

Well, the increases have started, and I can't say I like what I see... $5-$10 increases on the PM family. Yikes.

$227 on the Maxamet PM2 and $213 for the Para 3 on DLT, I'm just glad the online seconds sale happened and I got mine at a very good price. Almost $170 ($168.70) on the normal S30V DLC versions.

I wonder if a few years from now, $200 PM2 S30vs won't be unfounded.

@Doc Dan, unfortunately with the recent problems of the Pac Salt LC200n and some grind issues on the Smock a few months ago, as well as hit or miss centering with the PM series (I got 2 DLT Para 3 Cruwears off centered last November), it comes to the point that sometimes you'll feel the need to buy 2 knives just to get one with proper centering. I would love to say I love the QC of our beloved brand, but unfortunately that is not the case nowadays.

Yep, some hard core fans will still buy at increased prices, but how many will do so to sustain production and make profits? At some point sooner or later even the hard core fans will turn away and find better value at other brands for the money.

Sigh. 2020 sucks but seeing this makes 2021 and the coming years not anymore brighter as an afi, and an overseas one at that. Apologies, but just some real talk here.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I buy fewer knives these days. It's partly due to the rising prices and partly because I have a "mature" knife collection.
I recently got the PM2 Wave from Bladeops on sale. I love it.
I just ordered a Tenacious Lightweight and that appears to be a bargain.
I'm interested in the Chaparral in birdseye maple. Pricing on that seems reasonable to me.
I would buy a Subvert if the price was lower. Oh well.
Wish I could have grabbed a couple from the seconds sale but I hesitated too long.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Well, since I started this thread, maybe I should chime in again. My purpose for starting this wasn't to complain about price increases... only to inquire about plans (which we now have an answer to) for purchase planning. I trust Spyderco as a company to charge what they need to charge to stay in business and to continue to produce high-quality, reliable knives. That's why I buy Spyderco, and I don't want that to change.

As prices increase, however, seems like there could be a shrinking market demand in the U.S. I'm not a business person, and I don't understand the reasons for the much higher prices for international buyers, but trying to lower international prices to increase availability sounds like an untapped market for Spyderco. I'm sure they've already evaluated this, however.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I was just on the DLT site and saw the Dragonfly 2 is now $70, it was $66.50 for 2020. Sure it’s only $3.50 more, but this is an FRN linerless handled knife, and frankly I just don’t see any value at this price point anymore. That’s a shame because the DF2 is one of my all time favorite edc knives. Will I be buying any more? Possibly one more Wharncliffe so I can have a spare, then no more DF2’s for me.

Right now I see way more value in Kershaw’s U.S. made lineup and I’ve already purchased a Bareknuckle in the past week. Sorry Spyderco, but I can’t justify spending as much of my hard earned money on your products anymore.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mitchwalcott,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I'd like to thank all of you for all of the honest thoughts and opinions. It is valued highly.

Hey Doc, In reality, everything affects the bottom line. I don't think the variety affects the bottom line any more than any of the other things we do. We're always watching, studying, testing, etc. in order to provide a wide range. Given the quality level that we work at, and the costs, the market is smaller than other companies may serve. We will continue operate as we have for the past 45 years.

sal
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

jkurtz7 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 am
I was just on the DLT site and saw the Dragonfly 2 is now $70, it was $66.50 for 2020. Sure it’s only $3.50 more, but this is an FRN linerless handled knife, and frankly I just don’t see any value at this price point anymore. That’s a shame because the DF2 is one of my all time favorite edc knives. Will I be buying any more? Possibly one more Wharncliffe so I can have a spare, then no more DF2’s for me.

Right now I see way more value in Kershaw’s U.S. made lineup and I’ve already purchased a Bareknuckle in the past week. Sorry Spyderco, but I can’t justify spending as much of my hard earned money on your products anymore.
I understand rising prices - but for $95 you can get a chaparral with nested liners and CTS XHP steel...

I love the DF2 but $70 for VG-10 isn’t the best value. However - I’d pay sub $100 for a DF2 with a decent American steel.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:31 am
You guys in the States shouldn't really complain.
And you overseas guys shouldn't complain.

A lot of the cost of goods for you guys come from your own governments taxes. Gasoline is a good example of that.
adub

Post by adub »

I used to buy 10+ Spydercos every year but reading this thread I’ve realized that I only bought the yojumbo this year. I keep putting knives in a cart and then I realize it’s two days pay after taxes and it just seems dumb for me to do it. My money is well managed and I can buy them if I want to but honestly the price:value is approaching some kind of limit. The grinds on my yojumbo are way lopsided, too - it’s not like QC has kept pace with the price increases. The artificially limited quantities on the various sprint runs and exclusives is starting to feel really manipulative as well. I am a big spyderco fan but I hope that this stuff gets reevaluated.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

This is the first work day since the start of the new year. So I imagine over the course of the next couple days we will see what the price increases are.

I just went ahead and ordered a few early this morning. The prices still havent gone up yet.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:48 pm
Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:31 am
You guys in the States shouldn't really complain.
And you overseas guys shouldn't complain.

A lot of the cost of goods for you guys come from your own governments taxes. Gasoline is a good example of that.
Every year this thread comes up and we all say the same thing. The European spyderbros all tell us that we just don’t know how good we got it. If I had to pay European prices I wouldn’t be buying Spyderco knives and I never would have.

I also don’t see why Europeans being taxed to death is our problem. You guys pay all those crazy taxes sure but if we get a ride to the hospital in the ambulance we get a bill for $5000.

Things operate a little different everywhere and making comparisons based on the price of a single imported luxury good is erroneous.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I had visited a retailer's web page before the New Year and put a couple of Spydercos in the cart to beat the 2021 price increases. Then, decided not to go thru with it.

There was another knife I had my eye on and planned to buy next paycheck but someone else grabbed it so it is no longer available.

I've sold one from my collection so far 2021 and now have a second up for sale.

I'm still tempted by many, but it appears I am going backwards.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
PStone

Post by PStone »

I ordered a knife New Year’s Eve to beat the price hike. Paid $227. This morning it is $216.

.....C’est la vie.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Has there yet been any confirmation of what the increase is? I see some examples in the thread, but is it a straight % across the board or does it vary by model? It would just be nice to know clearly what the increase is for this year, regardless of how we feel about it.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I'm noticing some adjustments, but they don't seem to be as steep as last year.. just a few dollars here and there. Nor do the increases seem to be applied across the board to all models. For examples, Delicas are still $84. It seems the price increases were made more selectively this year?
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 am
as well as hit or miss centering with the PM series (I got 2 DLT Para 3 Cruwears off centered last November), it comes to the point that sometimes you'll feel the need to buy 2 knives just to get one with proper centering. I would love to say I love the QC of our beloved brand, but unfortunately that is not the case nowadays.
I've purchased about 100 Spyderco knives in the past 5 years. I think I've only had one that was off center. That was the Sage 1 I bought used and I fixed it in about 5 minutes. Either I'm really lucky or you're very unlucky.

Tired of reading all the whinging. I need to stay out of threads like these
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:47 pm
I'm noticing some adjustments, but they don't seem to be as steep as last year.. just a few dollars here and there. Nor do the increases seem to be applied across the board to all models. For examples, Delicas are still $84. It seems the price increases were made more selectively this year?
It looks like Spyderco is trying to hide the increase this time, at least according to knifecenter.com. They must have increased the MRSP because the MAP is still 30%. Knifecenter was one of the big whiners back in 2015, so I'm sure they are right on time with any price increase. S110V paramilitary 2 for example is $196. Wasn't it around $185 before? Tax and shipping would put it over $200. I bought mine used off ebay with free shipping and no sales tax for $120. It's the only paramilitary I own. Nice knife but at these prices I'll never own another.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well the lc200n Pacific Salt after map price went up $25.

Thats ridiculous.

The lc200n atlantic salt went up almost as much too.

Seems some stuff didnt change and some stuff only went up 5 or 10 dollars.

Im fine paying an extra 5 or 10 bucks. But that extra $25 for the lc200n pac salt 2 hits hard.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:21 pm
Well the lc200n Pacific Salt went up $25.

Thats ridiculous.

I see it listed at $126 on DLT. Ridiculous indeed, considering this recent thread:

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88166
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Gotta admit, I took a little break and was getting ready to pick up quite a few more Spydies. Think I’m gonna hold off and evaluate if I really need them; and I already know the answer to that.

Odd that products that have already been manufactured and in vendors hands see a price increase. That should’ve already been factored into sales price. I see knives released 2 years ago that have been raised in price. Seems like false inflation.
Last edited by SLOSpyder on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.