Endela the Native, Shaman = Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Endela the Native, Shaman = Stretch

Post by Baron Mind »

Critics of the Endela argued the Stretch already filled the gap between the Delica and Endura. We got the Endela anyway. I want a model in between the Native and the Native Chief, and I don't want to hear about the Shaman. It's clearly a very different knife.

Also, I want another steel variation for the Chief. S110V or Maxamet would be fine. I think there is an s90v coming, but an $80 price increase ain't my jam. The REX45 sprint was only $3 more. Keep the carbon fiber.

4v would be awesome.

I saw Sal say they purchased a ton of m398, that would be cool.

15v? Sure.

10v? Ok

K390? That would do.

S110V and Maxamet historically come with a price hike. Would like to avoid that. SPY27 probably falls into that category as well.

S45vn?

Anywho, I got on a tangent there. 3.4-3.5 inch Native 5/Native Chief is a knife that needs to exist in some kind of configuration.

What say you?

Edit: I can see how this post came off as whiny and entitled. Wasn't my intent. Perhaps my irritation with people dismissing a mid sized Native colored the rest of it, but I did not mean to seem pissy with Spyderco. Just a fan of the company musing about what else I'd like to be able to buy. 👍
Last edited by Baron Mind on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Endela the Native, Shaman = Stretch

Post by TkoK83Spy »

In the same post you said S110V and Maxamet would be fine...and then said the price increase that comes with them, you'd like to avoid. Not sure what to think about that!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:31 pm

3.4-3.5 inch Native 5/Native Chief is a knife that needs to exist in some kind of configuration.

What say you?

The Native Brave?

3-1/2 blade is a really useful size IMO. I don't own a Native yet because I prefer more edge and less ricasso/choil. I like choils, but I like them best when they're further back into the handle and less in the blade. However, a 3-1/2 blade would minimize the relative amount of space the ricasso/choil eats up on a Native.

I'll likely buy a Chief but it would be for occasional carry only, 5" closed is big for my pockets.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I've only been on the forum for a few months but the amount of "I want" posts is staggering.
I recognize that part of the purpose of the forum is to get feedback to Spyderco, but the constant demands are a little fatiguing.

There is some space between the Chief and Native 5, but I feel like Spyderco has enough on its plate rather than offer the same ones in slightly different size variations.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:47 pm
In the same post you said S110V and Maxamet would be fine...and then said the price increase that comes with them, you'd like to avoid. Not sure what to think about that!
Was a bit of stream of consciousness going on there. Next time I'll write multiple drafts and revisions before I submit my thesis.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:42 pm
I've only been on the forum for a few months but the amount of "I want" posts is staggering.
I recognize that part of the purpose of the forum is to get feedback to Spyderco, but the constant demands are a little fatiguing.

There is some space between the Chief and Native 5, but I feel like Spyderco has enough on its plate rather than offer the same ones in slightly different size variations.
Only thing more annoying than the people talking about things they want are the people complaining about it! ;)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:31 pm

3.4-3.5 inch Native 5/Native Chief is a knife that needs to exist in some kind of configuration.

What say you?

The Native Brave?

3-1/2 blade is a really useful size IMO. I don't own a Native yet because I prefer more edge and less ricasso/choil. I like choils, but I like them best when they're further back into the handle and less in the blade. However, a 3-1/2 blade would minimize the relative amount of space the ricasso/choil eats up on a Native.

I'll likely buy a Chief but it would be for occasional carry only, 5" closed is big for my pockets.

Nice! I tried coming up with another Native American themed knife name but drew a blank. Brave would definitely work! And I agree. 3 inch is great in the pocket and in public. 4 inch is a great option to have as some jobs simply require a larger blade. 3.5 feels like the worker/utility/socially acceptable sweet spot. I absolutely love the Native design, from the lines to the ergos to the lock to the blade shape, and I think it would work really well in the 3.5 inch blade range.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I have also thought the same thing. We are so spoiled
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:37 pm
I have also thought the same thing. We are so spoiled
I agree. On the other hand it's not like we're saying we want new variations for free. We are telling a for profit business that we would spend more money with them if they made that. I say that to say that the TenGrainBreads of the world are kind of a... jerk. I also acknowledge that Spyderco does the best job in the industry of interacting with customers and giving them what they want.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I thought I remembered reading on here that sal was working on some shaman variations. One of which would be thinner, hopefully he meant blade stock, and possibly a no choil shaman???

Cant recall. Im really liking the chief though.

I want a large Golden folder, with a backlock, a military style thumb ramp, and whatever ergos sal sees fit. Basically mix a military and a native chief, that would be amazing.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TenGrainBread wrote:

Ha, I just did it. Funny thing is I actually agree with you. But I also cant blame people for throwing out request. This is because Spyderco delivers. Its probably why we all like this company so much. I cant really think of other production knife companies that listen to customer request, and colaborate with customers anywhere near the level Spyderco does.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:15 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:

Ha, I just did it. Funny thing is I actually agree with you. But I also cant blame people for throwing out request. This is because Spyderco delivers. Its probably why we all like this company so much. I cant really think of other production knife companies that listen to customer request, and colaborate with customers anywhere near the level Spyderco does.
In this day and age, it's actually insane. With all the nefarious mass data collection on
through Google and Facebook to understand consumer buying habits and what not, it's amazing to see a large company conducting business this way, and it definitely contributes to their loyal following.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:29 pm
In this day and age, it's actually insane. With all the nefarious mass data collection on
through Google and Facebook to understand consumer buying habits and what not, it's amazing to see a large company conducting business this way, and it definitely contributes to their loyal following.

I understand TenGrain's point; it gets a bit dull when 90% of the requests I read are of no interest to me. But that's a customer's perspective, not Spyderco's. For Spyderco, this blog is valuable market research, and it's a much more direct pipeline from customer to mfgr than doing some sort of behind-the-scenes Google/Twit-Face/Pinter-snap analysis. The only problem with using a forum like this for market research is that the sample is self-selected; the afi's show up here. We're the folks who want more, spend more, are more critical, and most of Spyderco's market won't put as much budget toward steel as we do. So the things we request tend to be big-money, high-vanadium items, which may not be the best money makers for the company, since volume sold may be low relative to tooling and materials costs.

Bottom line: If I were Sal, I'd consider the forum a valuable market research resource. And I think he does; he's very engaged here, and any number of knives show the forum's influence.

Back on topic: Yeah, I'd look real hard at a 3.5" bladed native for sure.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I'll go ahead and swallow my pride and say that I thought about it a bit more and am actually on-board with a request for a Native variant between the 5 and the Chief.

Although I'd still like to try a Stretch 2 and see if that is close enough to what's being asked here. I'm not convinced the thumb ramp and shallower choils of the Stretch constitute enough of a difference to make a similarly-sized Native worth buying. I ordered a V-Toku the other day so should know soon.

I still think my earlier comment about too many threads being requests still stands. Might've come off a bit grumpy though ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 pm
Although I'd still like to try a Stretch 2 and see if that is close enough to what's being asked here.

Another great alternative would be the Caly 3.5 in that size range.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I think a "middle ground" model between Native and Chief would make total sense:

- I somehow like the Native, but always felt it is the exact wrong size for having a choil: Without the choil the (FRN/G10) handle would offer a comfortable four finger grip (with choil it does not for my hand) plus the knife would offer more cutting edge - so choils for me in folders smaller (Chap, DFly) or larger than the Native
- The Chief has the perfect size for my preferences for an all purpose EDC, but I know that many prefer the Endela/PM2/Manix size range (and for most task it is large enough indeed)
- The Shaman indeed IS a very different knife: Comp. lock instead of the outstanding Native backlock, thicker, less slicey blade, bulkier
- So a between-Native-and-Chief-folder would be great for those who want the great Native-backlock, a no hump blade design and the slim profile in that size!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:

I may disagree with all due respect:

- It might be that this particular first post was a bit too much sounding like "I want", but normally such are more like a "I´d wish" and not a "demand"
- I think if one loves folders and particularly Spyderco designs it is only natural to muse about it and come up with personal "dream versions" of the great designs already out there - somehow a big part of being a knife-person imho
- In that context I see it as an appreciation of Sals and others designs if one wants those in the personal preferred size if they don´t come in those already
- And: The good thing of this forum: It is NOT a real life roundtable, so no one has to listen or even take notice of contributions or topics they don´t like or are not interested in... ;)... one can just skip those :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm totally on board with a mid sized ~3.5in native between the 5 and the chief. It's my favorite family of knives in my preferred edc blade length. That sounds just about perfect.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:10 am
I somehow like the Native, but always felt it is the exact wrong size for having a choil: Without the choil the (FRN/G10) handle would offer a comfortable four finger grip (with choil it does not for my hand) plus the knife would offer more cutting edge...

Exactly so. The large ricasso area that "eats" too far (IMO) into the cutting edge is the only thing that's kept me from purchasing a Native.
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

I was hoping Santa would drop an Endela LW Salt in LC200N this year but it didn't happen, come on Santa, I meant Sal, make this happen. And some kind of yellow FRN scales with no liners, US Navy green is maybe truer to color 100' under water, but so what?