Impromptu chopping test with the Schempp Rock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Impromptu chopping test with the Schempp Rock

Post by zuludelta »

So as I mentioned in this other thread, I spent most of my day today just chilling in the local forest. It's the first time I've gotten Christmas Eve off work in years, but with the COVID-19 restrictions currently in place in British Columbia, there wasn't really much for me to do from a social standpoint. Anyway, I enjoy trail running and fast hiking (I was something of a competitive runner in my youth, and I've always enjoyed the outdoors), and during the winter months, I will almost always carry a small hand axe and a folding saw in my pack for clearing small obstacles like fallen trees (a somewhat common thing during the winter here, we get a lot of windstorms in my area)—not so much for myself, but more for outdoor enthusiasts with mobility issues, so that they can continue enjoying the trails (it sometimes takes days or even weeks for the city to send out crews to clear the trails).

I decided to leave the hand axe and saw at home today, though. Instead, for no other reason other than “I felt like it”, I brought my Schempp Rock.

As luck would have it, I did come across a couple of fallen trees on the trails. Now, I don't really use my Schempp Rock as a chopper. I use it primarily as a utility outdoors knife: food prep when camping (it is awesome in this role), clearing brush (it's like a super-light mini-machete), gardening, that sort of stuff. But I took a look at the first tree and thought to myself, “why not?”

The first tree was a cedar, maybe 15 to 20 years old if I had to guess, about three and a half inches at the point where I wanted to chop it (the second tree was much older, and would require a proper axe to chop). I warmed up by going through one of its branches (about an inch and a half in diameter), and it took about a minute. No visible damage on the edge afterwards. The thing, too, about the Schempp Rock is that it's relatively light, but the so-called “negative angle” of the handle (I'm not a fan of the term but don't know how else to describe it) allows me to use quick snap cuts using the wrist which lets it chop above its weight, so to speak.

I then proceeded to chop the trunk. It took about ten minutes and a swift stomp once I'd gone about ninety percent of the way through to split it. Again, no visible damage to the edge.

(Pics from my personal Instragram account, pardon the captions and crappy pics :D)
20201224_213842.jpg
20201224_213854.jpg
20201224_213911.jpg
20201224_213926.jpg
20201224_213940.jpg
20201224_213954.jpg
20201224_214007.jpg
I've been wondering if the task would have been easier with the hand axe I normally carry when fast hiking (a surprisingly functional budget model from a company with a spotty record when it comes to its outdoor products). I think it might be my Spyderco bias showing, but I contend that the Schempp Rock performed at least as well as that budget hand axe would have for this particular task. I think despite its lack of mass, the fact that I was able to impart much more velocity to the blade resulted in an equivalent (or even greater) amount of momentum (because as we all know from basic high school physics, linear momentum is the product of mass multiplied by velocity).

One other thing that surprised me about this experience is that the edge held up surprisingly well. No rolls or chips even though I was really giving it to 'er when I was chopping.
The Schempp Rock when I got home... still pretty much flawless on the edge
The Schempp Rock when I got home... still pretty much flawless on the edge
VG-10 isn't a particularly tough steel given its chemistry, but I think Spyderco's heat treat on the Schempp Rock makes it tough enough for practical chopping. I suspect the blade on my Schempp Rock is at about 56 or 57 Rc (based on previous use), which might seem low for folks who want VG-10 optimized for edge retention, but I think at that hardness, VG-10 offers a decent balance of toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance. When I got home from the woods, I tested the edge on the Schempp Rock on some Post-It sheets and it was still able to slice through them, with only a hint of raggedness. And after some stropping (about a dozen strokes on both sides on black compound-impregnated leather, and then another dozen strokes again on green compound), it was slicing paper cleanly again.

Anyway, just wanted to share this experience with the community. It's been a weird and sort of lonely Christmas Eve what with everything going on in the province, but I'm glad I have the forum to talk about this stuff at least :)
Last edited by zuludelta on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Re: Impromptu chopping test with the Schempp Rock

Post by Bolster »

Great report, and very well documented! I'm impressed that VG-10 performed that well. Merry Christmas to you!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 am
Great report, and very well documented! I'm impressed that VG-10 performed that well. Merry Christmas to you!
Thanks! And merry Christmas to you, too! :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bet you like the knife more now.....

Nothing like a task with a good knife for the future memory.

And in your last bit, we are all here for you knife stuff or even Off Topic ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:24 am
Bet you like the knife more now.....
I do! I haven't used the Schempp Rock much this past year outside of the kitchen and the garden, and I was actually thinking of selling it and using the funds to buy a high end-ish gyuto (I've always wanted one) and a new brush axe/clearing hook to replace my old one. But after yesterday, I think I might start carrying the Schempp Rock instead of my small hand ax/folding saw combo for light trail clearing duties on hikes/trail runs. It's a lot lighter, and just in terms of making trails and paths obstructed by fallen branches and small trees passable for those with limited mobility, I think it works just as well. It's no substitute for a proper brush axe/clearing hook/machete of course, but then again, neither was the small hand axe/folding saw combo I used to carry.
And in your last bit, we are all here for you knife stuff or even Off Topic ;)
Thanks man. Along with the social restrictions in place where I live, my workplace (which provides an essential service) has also been affected by "that-thing-that-shall-not-be-named" with lots of staff (including a very dear friend) out for medical reasons, so I've just been absolutely overworked and a bit stressed lately. A weird holiday season to be sure, but we'll pull through, and the Spyderco community is a refuge from all of that.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zuludelta,

Thanx for sharing your experience. Ed Schempp is a performance Junky and it shows in his designs.

sal
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:47 pm
Hi Zuludelta,

Thanx for sharing your experience. Ed Schempp is a performance Junky and it shows in his designs.

sal
You're welcome Sal! Yeah, I was really impressed with how well the Schempp Rock worked.

I went back to the woods yesterday to finish clearing the trail (having brought a proper hand axe and folding saw this time) but didn't even bother bringing a machete, the Schemmp Rock worked well enough for what I needed a long-ish blade to do (stripping branches off trunks, basic brush clearing), with a huge savings on weight and bulk.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Awesome knife and nice write up.
definitely a model id love to find used, fantastic looking knife.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Excellent review! I have a Schempp Rock too (same VG-10 model), and I particularly appreciate the negative blade angle and the handle ergos. I do wish the sheath had less of a rattle. However, I typically take a "heavier" knife when I want a camp knife. Your review has motivated me to take the Rock instead.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Fingers crossed for a sprint in lc200n!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I see what you guys are saying and the point you all are trying to make. But for me if I truly need a tool for chopping I want the appropriate tool. I would much rather have an axe, hatchet, machete or razel>> or you could add a myriad of woodworking tools to that list as well.

Now going back to the old days of the Spyderco HOSSOM models I don't see many knives that meet the definition of a "knife". Each tool has it's purpose. My dad used to yell at me something horrible if I used a folding pocket knife to pry with or use it as a screwdriver. And as I got older I see exactly what he was getting at.

I guess there is a case to be made that some of your bigger bowies like the Cold Steel Trailmaster might be suited for that type of work. But for myself I'm sticking to the proper edged striking tool for that type of job.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:32 pm
I see what you guys are saying and the point you all are trying to make. But for me if I truly need a tool for chopping I want the appropriate tool. I would much rather have an axe, hatchet, machete or razel>> or you could add a myriad of woodworking tools to that list as well.
I guess my point in making the thread was really more about sharing my experience with the (somewhat) surprising durability of the Schempp Rock in VG-10 when pressed into service at a chopping task that I think is on the very edge (or maybe even outside) of its design envelope.

As I mentioned multiple times in the original post, I normally use a hand axe and a folding saw to get through the obstructions that I occasionally encounter on the local trails when I go trail running/fast hiking, and even then, those tools are a concession to the problem of weight and bulk—I would use a proper brush axe if all I had to do was clear a trail and wasn't in the middle of a trail run. It just so happened that I didn't have those tools with me at the time, and the Schempp Rock was all I had available (it's the largest cutting tool I own that I could fit into my hydration pack). Would my Fiskars Brush Axe have been a better tool for the job? Of course! But I wouldn't have been able to run at race pace with the Fiskars strapped to my back LOL
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not surprised the edge held up. I've long said VG10 is among the few stainless steels I don't mind seeing in a fixed blade because its pretty tough for what it is.

Though its smaller and lighter so it deals with lower forces, I've chopped and batoned plenty of wood with my Perrin Street Bowie.

A full minute to go through a 1.5" branch though....yikes. That'd take me about 10 seconds with my ESEE6HM, or a single swing with my reprofiled Scrapyard Dogfather :p
:unicorn
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm
A full minute to go through a 1.5" branch though....yikes. That'd take me about 10 seconds with my ESEE6HM, or a single swing with my reprofiled Scrapyard Dogfather :p
It would have probably taken 15 to 30 seconds with the Rock if I decided to stop at the point where I could just comfortably snap the branch over my knee, but I wanted to put the knife through its paces.

The Rock is very light (about 9 ounces) for a fixed blade of its size, so it's easy to get a lot of acceleration & speed into each swing... what I found was that I could get it to bite deep on each swing, but it wasn't "throwing off" a lot of material nor was it doing a lot of wedging (due to the lack of mass and relatively thin blade stock). If I were so accurate that I could get the blade to hit the exact same spot on every swing, I'm sure it would have taken me a lot less time. But I wasn't. In this regard, it is very similar to your traditional Latin machete—very thin & light so it's great for cutting vegetation and thin branches in one swing (or snap cut), not ideal for chopping thicker wood.