cleaning sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

An autoclave, right? they recomend that in the instruction manual. good idea if you use it for kitchen knives and dont whant to cross contaminate with your other knives.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i use jif and a scotchbrite pad
(for those of you who dont know jif is a very harsh liquid cleaner that is fairly abrasive)
brings my stones up nice and clean
rastus

Post by rastus »

Steel wool? Cool. I've been useing the scrubber-side of a scrubby sponge with a lot of generic comet (one large blast to the sponge for each stone).
I like the idea of grabbing a couple of more stones/rods at the next gun show 05/07,08. These are the things I never remember, I'll set up a reminder on my cell for this one.
I also gently grind one edge of the course stones together after I clean them. I try to do this in a way that 'sharpens" them. It does seem to make them remove more metal on that edge.
Thanks for the ideas,
---Tom

Post by 999 »

I normally use supermarket-own-brand cream cleaner on a sponge, which works quite well. Recently I put them in an ultrasonic cleaner at work and the dirt just fell away almost instantly!

I'm going to try the eraser idea now though ;)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I tried the eraser on the white stones. The jury is still out on that one.

Post by 999 »

I have now tried the eraser and my results were much better than by washing them. I just used one of the soft pencil erasers. Seems to work equally well on both brown and white stones.
fret

Post by fret »

150 grit emery cloth or toothbrush and Comet powder. ;)
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

We've got several autoclaves at school (different sizes), but I'm afraid I won't be allowed to put my stones in them :( .
Btw, why's an autoclave good for cleaning them ? The point of those things is to sterilise stuff, not clean it. There's just hot steam under pressure in there, nothing moving.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

It does a good job on the grey stones, it takes everything off. The white stones, i guess because it is finder it doesnt come out. So she put em in another machine I think.

The grey stones come out super clean. Like they were NEW.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

The erasers work for me. The jury is back on them and it's the method for me that uses the least amount of work and time. As I get deeper into sharpening, I'll give something else a try that may prove better.
tbarahon

Post by tbarahon »

I have also tried the dishwasher and they came fairly clean.

Tbar
I can see }{ in my trousers