Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Post by The Meat man »

Just got the notification on the app.

Who's excited for this one? It wasn't on my radar originally, but as a new fan of the Manix LW, I may have to pick one up. Plus, to experience the new steel!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Re: Manix 2 LW CPM SPY27 now shipping to dealers!

Post by JuPaul »

I'm planning to get one, for sure, and it'll probably be the only Manix lw I keep. This, the spy27 para3 lw, and the dragonfly salt hawkbill will be my main summertime lightweight clothing carries.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Anyone else notice that the online catalog color for this one is different? It's like a teal/turquoise color. Probably just a mistake, but man I like that color! I hope they're using it for something else. ;)
- Julia

FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:08 pm
Anyone else notice that the online catalog color for this one is different? It's like a teal/turquoise color. Probably just a mistake, but man I like that color! I hope they're using it for something else. ;)
I was going to ask the same thing...I might be colorblind but that looks different.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm planning to get one, for sure, and it'll probably be the only Manix lw I keep. This, the spy27 para3 lw, and the dragonfly salt hawkbill will be my main summertime lightweight clothing carries.
I'm getting ready to make a big knife purge and there was at least one Manix 2 LW on the to go list. I have the SPY27 M2LW on pre-order and I was trying to decide if I should cancel it. I decided I'll go ahead and get it and add another one to the purge
JuPaul wrote:
I hadn't noticed that. I like the Cobalt blue that it should be but the color in that pic is different enough that I wouldn't argue if it's actually like that. I agree though, it's probably an error
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
I noticed too when I saw the notification and figured the same..

But then I just saw this posted on the twitter (forgot to turn off notifications on Spyderco tweets from the during the seconds sale haha)! Mineral Blue!

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like the new color! :cool:
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Yeah I like it more than the teal on the native 5 s90v. I do seem to carry my LW manix more than the liner model.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Ehhh....
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's interesting. I think I'd prefer the Cobalt Blue, but I don't think the new color would keep me from carrying it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I really like the new color!

-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm
I really like the new color!

Nice, so it wasn't a mistake! Now I'm even more excited for this one - I love this new color, and I was really happy with spy27 this summer.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:

But then I just saw this posted on the twitter (forgot to turn off notifications on Spyderco tweets from the during the seconds sale haha)! Mineral Blue!

So I guess this color problem was at least partially responsible for the delay of this model (plus covid issues). I'm pretty happy with how they solved the problem!
- Julia

Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m just hoping this means Golden is catching up and we’ll see a REX Chief soon!
anycal

Post by anycal »

That is a strange explanation on several levels... :confused:
Peter
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

anycal wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:47 pm
That is a strange explanation on several levels... :confused:
Ha yeah I'm also a bit confused on the whole FRN/FRCP thing.
- Connor

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:38 am
Hey, LC200DAN:

The Manix 2 Lightweight SPY27 is a slightly different color than the cobalt blue of the Para 3 or Native 5 Lightweight. The latter two have handles made from FRN--fiberglass reinforced nylon. We worked with the company that molds the handles to achieve that color. The handles of all Manix 2 Lightweights are FRCP--fiberglass-reinforced co-polymer. Although we tried to achieve the same cobalt blue color in that material, we could not color match the FRCP to the FRN. The closest we could get in FRCP is the current handle material, which we have named "mineral" blue.

Stay safe,

Mike

Mike's explanation on the other thread.

Still, I don't think it makes sense to me at least...the Manix 2 LW 110v and the translucent blue have the closest hues to the supposed Cobalt Blue...this one, it borders more on teal. Or maybe it's just the production photos. I dunno. The colors make me the least interested in getting one, aside from the still pinned/riveted construction.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:33 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:

So I guess this color problem was at least partially responsible for the delay of this model (plus covid issues). I'm pretty happy with how they solved the problem!
Haha I don't pretend to be any sort of "co-polymer expert," but I'm truly having a hard time understanding how they were unable to match the cobalt color more closely.. the S110V Manix LW scales are already d@mn near "cobalt" blue! :p

Personally, I'm kind of indifferent to the "mineral blue" color.. I don't hate it, but I really do prefer the darker "cobalt" blue, and I think a closer match would have been nice as far as continuity of the SPY27 line-up goes. I'll be sitting this knife out because I already have SPY27 in the Para 3/Native LWs and I prefer those models to the Manix LW. Generally though, I find SPY27 to be an excellent all-around steel choice, so I hope the new color doesn't put too many people off the knife..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:49 pm
Ehhh....
Haha.. yeah me too :)
Rick H.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JuPaul wrote:
Hmmm, maybe that "Bobalt Blue" mentioned in the Reveal Volume Four price list wasn't a typo after all. ;)