Question for JD Spydo.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Question for JD Spydo.

Post by James Y »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm
VG-10 is the Rodney Dangerfield of knife steels. It doesn’t receive the respect it deserves.

I agree 100%.

I have no Spyderco fixed blades, but I would be perfectly happy with a fixed blade in VG-10. It’s still one of my favorite steels, and would work well in a FB. I probably wouldn’t want a FB in steel any harder than that, anyway.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 pm
I just recently got into larger knives and the Temperance 1 really intrigues me. I don't like the Temp 2 diagonal plunge line that much. The one I would like to see most is a Temp 1 Salt with lc200n.
I just hope the idea continues to gain traction Brother :) I do believe if more of the newer Spyderco Forum members and fans got to check out a TEMP 1 first hand there would be many more that would agree as well.
To this day I've never had a handle on a commerically made fixed blade knife contour to my hand like the handle on the TEMP 1. I've used this TEMP 1 in SE & PE ever since I got both edge types back in late 2004. I don't go on any hunting or fishing trips without taking both my TEMP 1 models. They are that dependable.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm
VG-10 is the Rodney Dangerfield of knife steels. It doesn’t receive the respect it deserves.

I agree 100%.

I have no Spyderco fixed blades, but I would be perfectly happy with a fixed blade in VG-10. It’s still one of my favorite steels, and would work well in a FB. I probably wouldn’t want a FB in steel any harder than that, anyway.

Jim
It's a big choir he's preaching to Jim. Even with some of the newer supersteels I've checked out and own I've still never ever considered VG-10 obsolete or Second Class by any means. And like I've said over and over VG-10 is very dependable in so many ways. It holds up under harsh, corrosive environments and it holds an edge better than most people think.

I've had people disagree with me over the years because for a long time I've said that I like VG-10 better than S30V and a few other popular blade steels. And I've certainly got valid reasons for making that claim.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Also everyone needs to consider how long that VG-10 has been the mainline blade steel for most of the Japan made units for about 20 years now and there is no talk that I'm aware of to replace it either.

Another thing to consider is VG-10 is still considered a Supersteel for some commercial knife companies. Browning and Fallkniven are two that come to mind. Bottom Line: VG-10 is far better than average by almost anyone's standards I'm sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 pm
Just to chime in, I have a Jumpmaster 2. It is a fantastic knife, fantastic size, comfortable, ergonomic and an absolute cutting beast. I have seen people with no experience hack through standing water bottles with it, effortlessly. I don't encourage this often though, as it makes me hold my breath for a second, thinking about the edge, and the table beneath the bottle.
OK "cabfrank" you've really encouraged me to get a Jumpmaster 2. I'm going to take a serious look at that one. I've said for quite some time now that I wish Spyderco would make more fixed blades in SE. I do have a feeling that is going to change in our favor.

With that being said I I still maintain that the TEMPERANCE 1 model I still consider my "go-to" fixed blade model. It's not often that I find a knife that I like every aspect of like I do with the TEMP 1. However I'm always open to improve or do better.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

JD, I think you would love it. I see similarities to the Temp, but the handle is definitely thinner, so keep that in mind if you like a more hand filling grip. It is definitely a legendary cutter in Spyderco circles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 pm
JD, I think you would love it. I see similarities to the Temp, but the handle is definitely thinner, so keep that in mind if you like a more hand filling grip. It is definitely a legendary cutter in Spyderco circles.
Well with this recent news of the possibility of the Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob maybe being right around the corner I might just have to spend evenings looking for empty beer & pop cans. Because I've got most of my spare change waiting to get as many of those C-60 models I can get my hands on. But I'm not forgetting this one either.

However I will be surprised if I end up liking this Jumpmaster better because that TEMP 1 has just become a part of me. It feels that natural when I use it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:28 am
I'm not JD but I have been saying the same thing for a while. It's very very similar and for the most part I would just get a jump master 2. Luckily I have a SE temp 1.
And you don't have a PE version of the TEMP 1 to go with your SE version ???? As long as you've been here VASH??? I am now anxious to give this Jumpmaster a chance. But by looking at the handle I can already tell that the handle on the Jumpmaster doesn't look to be as good of a fit. But it could be a different story if I got my hand on it I'm thinking.

And they did make it available in SE and PE both which was good thinking. I truthfully believe if Spyderco would make more fixed blade models in PE & SE both I do believe it would catapult their sales nicely.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
I just recently got into larger knives and the Temperance 1 really intrigues me. I don't like the Temp 2 diagonal plunge line that much. The one I would like to see most is a Temp 1 Salt with lc200n.
LC200N everything
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
LC200N everything
It's becoming a popular steel for EDC folders for sure. I'm hoping to learn more about these Nitrogen based steels. Albeit LC200N has a lot better results with plain edges than H-1 does.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:47 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
LC200N everything
It's becoming a popular steel for EDC folders for sure. I'm hoping to learn more about these Nitrogen based steels. Albeit LC200N has a lot better results with plain edges than H-1 does.
Yeah that's what I've heard about the PE H1. I only have experience with 14c28n when it comes to nitrogen steels. It seems to get scary sharp fast.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The reason I got the Jumpmaster 2, is how similar its profile is too the Temperance 1 fixed blade. I concur with JD though, it still lacks a few things to really 'replace' the Temperance, like the handle - but also a full flat grind. The Jumpmaster is still a great blade, just a little different from the Temperance.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 am
The reason I got the Jumpmaster 2, is how similar its profile is too the Temperance 1 fixed blade. I concur with JD though, it still lacks a few things to really 'replace' the Temperance, like the handle - but also a full flat grind. The Jumpmaster is still a great blade, just a little different from the Temperance.
What always have intrigued me about the handle on the TEMP 1 is that if I didn't know better I would swear that it was truly tailor made for my own hand. It seems to fit my grip that perfect.
Also the overall balance of the TEMP 1 is about as perfect as I've ever encountered. I would think that the TEMP 1 is very close to the equivalent of a "Custom".
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:53 pm
VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:28 am
I'm not JD but I have been saying the same thing for a while. It's very very similar and for the most part I would just get a jump master 2. Luckily I have a SE temp 1.
And you don't have a PE version of the TEMP 1 to go with your SE version ???? As long as you've been here VASH??? I am now anxious to give this Jumpmaster a chance. But by looking at the handle I can already tell that the handle on the Jumpmaster doesn't look to be as good of a fit. But it could be a different story if I got my hand on it I'm thinking.

And they did make it available in SE and PE both which was good thinking. I truthfully believe if Spyderco would make more fixed blade models in PE & SE both I do believe it would catapult their sales nicely.
I have a pe and SE temp 1 :cool:

Took this with my first cup of coffee.

Eee

Post by Eee »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:43 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 am
What always have intrigued me about the handle on the TEMP 1 is that if I didn't know better I would swear that it was truly tailor made for my own hand. It seems to fit my grip that perfect.
Also the overall balance of the TEMP 1 is about as perfect as I've ever encountered. I would think that the TEMP 1 is very close to the equivalent of a "Custom".
JD, can I ask you where the Temperance balances? Because I think this is part of the jigsaw which is usually missed. When I first held a Daniel Winkler knife, It felt just so too. It took me a good while to realise that the balance was a big part of that. When I got my Aqua Salts, I found something similar. I like a smaller fixed blade (5 inch blade or less) to balance on my front finger. Most full tang knives don’t unless they have a tapered tang or are heavily skeletonised. It makes me wonder if the stick tang of the Temperance has a similar effect?

I know stick tangs aren’t popular, but some of the highest performing knives have them. It makes me wish that Spyderco would produce a Temperance 3 or Jumpmaster 3 lightweight with a stick tang and the original Temperance handle. Equally, I’d also be all over a Chris Claycombe’s Bushcraft handle in stick tang FRN.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Not sure exactly where you're going with that last response. However I'll tell you what I mean when I speak of the word "balance" in relation to what it feels like when I do any cutting jobs with my Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model. It just flat out feels natural. It really feels like it's an extension of the hand I'm holding it with.

There are very few knife handles I've used that feel that natural when I'm using them. The original, Micarta Streetbeat model also comes close to feeling as natural as the TEMP 1 does when I'm working with it. I hope that gives you some clue as to what I've been talking about.

In other words "They Got It Right The First Time" when they designed the TEMP 1.
Eee

Post by Eee »

Hi JD, thanks for your answer.

I had just realised that some of my favorite knives have something in common. If you try to find the balance point by balancing the knife on you finger, it is right where your front finger would sit when you are using it. Or to look at it the other way, if I’m holding the knife and loosen my grip with my back three fingers, it sits just so on the front finger.

This perfect balance (for my preferences) can be found on a few Spyderco models; the Aqua Salt, The Spyderhawk and the Pacific Salt. I was wondering whether the Temperance is another? It’s one of those things you just can’t tell from pictures.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Eee wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 pm
Hi JD, thanks for your answer.

I had just realised that some of my favorite knives have something in common. If you try to find the balance point by balancing the knife on you finger, it is right where your front finger would sit when you are using it. Or to look at it the other way, if I’m holding the knife and loosen my grip with my back three fingers, it sits just so on the front finger.

This perfect balance (for my preferences) can be found on a few Spyderco models; the Aqua Salt, The Spyderhawk and the Pacific Salt. I was wondering whether the Temperance is another? It’s one of those things you just can’t tell from pictures.
You bring up an excellent point mentioning the Spyderhawk model. Of all the Hawkbill blades that Spyderco has blessed us with I do find the grip/purchase of the SPYDERHAWK to be the most comfortable one of the bunch.