Buck 110 talk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KnotTheory

Re: Buck 110 talk

Post by KnotTheory »

Buck 110 variants have always been interesting. In the early 90s as a boy I was so excited when my SMKW order came in and I got the "Bucklight" version, the 110 with a plastic handle and the 420 blade. I had it for many years until someone borrowed it and lost it and I've lamented that ever since. I admit I pretty much switched over to the Endura once I discovered that as a young adult since it was just so much better for me, but I always liked that Buck.

I still have an old school 110 I keep around. I admit I don't do much with it, but its weight and heft feel comfortable.

I'll have to check these new ones out. I've always been tempted by the 110 Autos you see here and there too.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have a 2018 model with the traditional brass bolsters and wood scales. It's a beast of a knife. When I was in high school, most of my buddies belt carried either a 110 or a Pakistani clone. It took me decades until I finally made the move to get one, a couple years ago. My son, in the US Coast Guard, carries one as his primary knife when he isn't packing a Salt, and loves his. I had one of the FRN models for a brief period of time. It was a great knife, but I just couldn't warm up to it as a 110. The thing I liked the most about it was its weight. It was so nice to carry!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have Buck 110's in 425, 420HC, S30V, CPM 154, BG 42, D2, and 5160. To be honest the heat treat on the S30V models I have are the best versions of that steel I've used. The crispest sharpening and least chippy edges I've tried in S30V. They are all good performers though. The 110 in CPM 154 was what got me really liking that steel back 8 or 9 years ago when it came out.

I'm looking to try Buck's version of S35Vn in the future. I also bought a fixed blade model in W2 I'm looking forward to getting to know. It's a pretty simple steel but there is a place for that in knives.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

When I was a kid in the 80's all the Farmers, Police, Mechanics and anyone who seemed important had a 110 on their belt. But then it seemed like they all disappeared. And you saw people with either SAKS or some kinda junk flea market knife.

I think the next time I remember seeing one was when I was working at a really rough Oilfield company as a teenager in the 90's. The other kid working there was a bit older then me and had been in gangs all his life. He proudly was showing me his 110 that he had drilled a hole in the blade and fed a zip tie through. He had it rigged so it automatically opened when pulling it from his belt. At the time I wasn't aware of the thumb studs and spydie holes on knives etc. I thought it was such a clever idea he should "patient it" lolol. It's almost kinda ironic that it's taken Buck over 20 years to catch up.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I still see 110’s on belts every now and then, usually on laborers’s belts. I also see lots of Leatherman tools in worn-out Leatherman sheaths on belts.

Lately, I’ve been noticing more working men with those red-handled Milwaukee knives and their wire clips in their pockets.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

My lightweight should be here next week. Excited to give it some pocket time.

I've enjoyed reading everyones stories. Makes me want to order a regular 110 to keep on my desk. Its such an attractive design.
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I just got one from my wife as an anniversary gift. Yeah, it's big and heavy, but I still enjoy it. I carry it when I go woods walking, and the weight doesn't really bother me in its sheath on a belt. And it's kinda nice freeing up my pockets.

I had one of the upgraded FRN 110's, and let it go. After seeing the comparisons to the old Cold Steel Voyagers, I might just have to pick another one up. They're too inexpensive not to own at least one.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The original certainly is a classic, and definitely nostalgic, but a 500 series is more practical

The new FRN ones are actually nice for the price, and USA made. I just hate the lock position, the clip, the wobble, and the slightly recurve grind

I also don't quite get offering 5160 in a small folder, but hey, variety is cool
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Recently acquired this venerable Buck 110 no-dot from the 1972-1974 timeframe which had a rounded point, no edge, and a handle filled with crud.
Cleaned everything with tootpicks, an old tootbrush with diluted detergent, and lastly an ultrasonic cleaner.
Then polished the brass and hand reground the blade on wet & dry paper with WD40 as a lubricant.
The new convex edge measures ~25 degrees inclusive and there is a new point too.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Specs:

Length open: 21,8 cm
Length closed: 12,3 cm
Blade length: 9,5 cm
Blade thickness: 3,0 mm
Blade grind: semi-hollow convex
Edge angle: ~25 degrees inclusive
Steel: 440C stainless
Hardness: ~60 HRC (estimate based on regrinding/sharpening)
Locktype: Backlock
Handle material: Solid brass with Makassar Ebony inlays
Weight: 194,9 grams
Belt sheath: Leather
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Pretty nice!

Those are tough knives. I have used mine as a light hammer (shhh! Don't tell anyone) and they make great brass knuckles. I used to carry mine in my back pocket and it would pull my pants down. I had to constantly hitch up my pants. Carrying it in my front pocket helped with that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My watch pocket on my jeans works like a charm for my 110. I know this is like comparing apples and oranges, but how does the 110 compare with the Military? Size, feel, etc. My 110 is my big folder, but I want to pull the trigger on a Military.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't know if any of you guys remember a company that made a lot of difference firearm products known as "G-96". They made a lot of firearm maintenance products and a wide range of various sporting items. Their Nitro Solvent was really good. A very good friend of mine I haven't talked to in at least a year had a "Buck 110 look a Like" made by them. Or it may have been made by another knife company and they put the "G-96" name on it>> or it could have been licensed by G-96 or whatever.

But I used to hunt with the guy a lot and I used that particular "Buck 110 Look-A Like" model to skin a couple of deer one season and I'm here to tell you all that was a well made knife. It was just as solid and had as good of blade steel as the "Real McCoy Buck 110". There were a lot of Buck 110 Look A Like models in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s. I don't see as many now as I did in years gone by. But I do remember that one unit that had the G-96 name on it was a fine folder. If you all ever see one at a pawn shop cheap I would jump on it. It would make an excellent beater if nothing else.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I remember all the lookalikes too JD. There were some genuinely good knives, and some that wouldn't take an edge with a grinder. I had a Pakistani clone that was built well, but the metallurgy just wasn't there. For a 16 year old kid in early 80s America, it did the trick. My Dad got a Victorinox Huntsman for me that Fall, and I lost track of that big folder. I only got around to picking up the real deal a couple of years ago. I have several friends that collect 110's, and have even the really early models. I'm not quite into them that much, but they do evoke quality. Am I wrong or did Sal day his first knife was a 110?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

Got the lightweight in the mail. Pretty happy with it.

Overall fit and finish is fine. Less play than the micarta version I handled at Cabelas, a little less than my last Pacific Salt in fact.

Where the lockbar and blade meet looks a little funny. Don't recall seeing a traditional 110 look like that.

Opening is smooth and the thumbstud deployment feels better than the Cabelas model. Closing one handed without closing the blade against my leg is tricky with the lock release placement but that's just the nature of 110's.

The edge wasn't very good and the tip is poorly formed. Those are my biggest gripes. But having to touch up a new knife is nothing unheard of, especially a $30 knife.

The cutting edge feels shorter than I remember. Maybe I'm just getting old :p

It won't replace my M4 Manix as my current favorite, but I like it more than I expected to. I could see this getting pocket time instead of getting dumped in a glove box or something. Always loved the ergonomics, and this version is a much better weight for EDC.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Yeah they usually grind that nub off when finishing - can't do that with frn

The grind looks nice on that
The 112 I had, had a bit of a recurve (maybe 112s have a recurve?)
I kinda wish I got a smoke jumper from sk blades while I could - $40 for usa made, cpm 154 blade!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:00 pm
Yeah they usually grind that nub off when finishing - can't do that with frn

The grind looks nice on that
The 112 I had, had a bit of a recurve (maybe 112s have a recurve?)
I kinda wish I got a smoke jumper from sk blades while I could - $40 for usa made, cpm 154 blade!
I do as well. I have the "Shield" which is the drop point blade version. My folks got it for me for my birthday, since the Smokejumper was out of stock, and the preorder for the Shield was a week before my birthday. I'm not the biggest fan of the drop-point blade, but I like the clip. They had been keeping the Smokejumper in stock, and I never got one.

While I know G-10 is better, I'd love for Buck to start putting some of their other offerings in "LT" frames at the same price range, for those of us who want to try specific steel, but don't' have over $100 to blow. I know Copper and Clad has a $50 Spitfire in S30V, but I have the 420HC and am not that crazy about its ergonomics.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20200630_191246.jpg
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
LanM

Post by LanM »

The lightweight looks pretty good Vivi, I was in a Walmart a few weeks ago and they had Buck 110's for $35, and the 112 slim for $20. If I hadn't inherited a handful of older folders from my grandfather last year I'd have probably bitten. It looks like the Schrade SP7 I inherited is a pretty good approximation of the 110 lightweight. Side by side the handle is a tiny bit longer than my caribbean. I can say that if it was a 110 with nickel instead of brass sitting there in the case I'd have bought it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Where the lockbar and blade meet looks a little funny. Don't recall seeing a traditional 110 look like that.

There was a manufacturing reason for that. We discussed it over on the Buck forum, but I cannot recall, now, what the reason was.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:44 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:05 pm

There was a manufacturing reason for that. We discussed it over on the Buck forum, but I cannot recall, now, what the reason was.
The reason, as I understand it is that on the traditional 110, that bump is worked out on the sanding belts when the handle is finished with the knife fully assembled. Since they can't do that with the plastic-handle variants, it stays.