How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Napsterninja wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:33 am
image0.jpegGot my 2020 seconds sale today! Very new Spyderco fan. I bought blindly, purchase now research later. Very happy. The military is huge and it's my biggest folder. I'm very new to knives so please bear with me. Also I'm horrible at pictures too.

1. Ark- Don't see anything wrong until you take it in and out of the sheath. Scuffs the blade everytime.

2. Para 3 lw- Only notice light hairline scuff/scratch on blade. The Spyderco logo isn't as solid.

3. Para 3- Can't tell what's wrong. Sliced off some fingertip skin dropping the blade closed. Oops!

4. Para Military 2 Maxamet- Choil has uneven grind at the bottom. When dropping the blade I find the choil edge hits my finger tip on the lock. Might be how it was design or I'm not positioning my finger correctly. Blade is not centered, slightly warped? When I compress the pivot with my fingers the blade can slightly move so I believe I can adjust and center.

5. Military- lanyard hole cut isn't perfectly clean around the g10. One side, the camo pattern around the bottom corner may look scuffed but it's color pattern.

Hope this helps. Good luck! I look forward to see what others received. Got free swag too!
From what Ive heard the H1 always gets scuffed by the sheaths.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

ejames13 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 am
Interesting that the Militaries are not newer CQI variants. I thought they implemented that change several years ago.
Yeah it surprised me too but I don't mind it at all. What I did discover that bothers me is that the liner lock on mine doesn't lock and this should not have made it into the Seconds Sale.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Napsterninja wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:33 am

4. Para Military 2 Maxamet- Choil has uneven grind at the bottom. When dropping the blade I find the choil edge hits my finger tip on the lock. Might be how it was design or I'm not positioning my finger correctly. Blade is not centered, slightly warped? When I compress the pivot with my fingers the blade can slightly move so I believe I can adjust and center.
I have the same issue when I use the compression lock on the PM2 Maxamet I got from the sale. I don’t know if this is normal since this is my first PM2 but when I use my para 3 this doesn’t happen.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
flmosinman124

Post by flmosinman124 »

3/5 orders came in today. Can’t find anything wrong with them. Very pleased!
Attachments
A8A53605-9331-4966-B2BC-C6A0B95EE95B.jpeg
078286F9-5073-4E55-8F18-0AB532D0241B.jpeg
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

No lock-up. It is basically a slip joint.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am
No lock-up. It is basically a slip joint.
That definitely doesn't fit the online seconds criteria they talked about. Slip joints are usable but liner locks that don't lock not so much.
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Can you bend it a little?
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I might have to file it a bit
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 am
I might have to file it a bit
If you do take it slow and test fit as you go.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am
Yeah it surprised me too but I don't mind it at all. What I did discover that bothers me is that the liner lock on mine doesn't lock and this should not have made it into the Seconds Sale.
Hi, FullFlatMind:
Could you private message me with your contact information? I'd like to have someone follow up with you.

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:00 pm
FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am
Hi, FullFlatMind:
Could you private message me with your contact information? I'd like to have someone follow up with you.

Thanks much.

Kristi
Will do.
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

*Edited for family friendliness. TazKristi*
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ramasipsc wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:38 pm
That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

You are getting a $217 knife for $79. What do you expect? As long as they are safe to use these blades are fine for seconds. People like myself will buy them for beaters, backups to throw in bags, toolboxes, trucks, etc. If you want a pristine example pony up the $217. If you think you are getting a knife for a third of the price because of some imperceptible flaw you didn't pay attention to details of the sale. Maxamet is an amazing knife steel and crazy expensive. These blades give people access to that steel for a fraction of the price.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

ramasipsc wrote:
Those blades look fully functional. If they don't even touch the liners when closed it's truly just a cosmetic issue and those blades certainly don't need to be destroyed.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Got my blades today. Thanks so much to Spyderco for putting this on. These are the first Native 5 Maxamet and Parata knives posted in this thread.

Native 5 Maxamet. The blade is slightly warped to the left. Besides that it's perfectly functional and no issues with the scales, action, lockup, or with blade rub.

Parata. I had a hard time finding any defect but then I compared it to a stock picture. Looks like the hole for the thumb studs was drilled too high on the lockbar, so the thumb stub doesn't sit flush all the way down in the cutout milled into the G10. Purely aesthetic. The knife functions perfectly and the blade is centered and ground evenly. The blade did arrive with a bunch of excess oil on it, which was odd.
Compared to stock photo:

Centering:
Last edited by TenGrainBread on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:55 pm
ramasipsc wrote:
That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad as f****. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

You are getting a $217 knife for $79. What do you expect? As long as they are safe to use these blades are fine for seconds. People like myself will buy them for beaters, backups to throw in bags, toolboxes, trucks, etc. If you want a pristine example pony up the $217. If you think you are getting a knife for a third of the price because of some imperceptible flaw you didn't pay attention to details of the sale. Maxamet is an amazing knife steel and crazy expensive. These blades give people access to that steel for a fraction of the price.
Spot on Josh! I'm just hoping mine has pretty even grinds. I want to use it right away, and don't have 6 years to sharpen it to my satisfaction :p

The variances of problems that have made these knives seconds is pretty surprising. Some are obvious flaws, some fairly major...others (like Pat and SG's) They could probably pass as regular production. The crap shoot is fun! Can't wait for tomorrow!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't get any this year, but I used to get in on a group buy.

A lot of them are blade alignment when closed. There was a trick to fixing blade alignment when closed, someone wrote a howto for the Military.

It went something like this (this is off the top of my head from something I did about 8 years ago):
1. Back out some screws (just back them out a little, don't take them all the way out). I don't remember what screws, I think the pivot, back spacer, and the stop pin.
2. Fold a piece of paper enough times so that it will barely fit and squeeze it between the blade and the inside of the scale so that the blade goes as far as possible in the other direction than the blade leans.
3. While the paper is still in there, re-tighten the screws.
4. Remove the paper
5. It should be better. Might need to repeat.

Everyone I've done came out really well after one. I wish I could find the original instructions.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great scores everyone! I am happy for you, and hope you enjoy your great knives.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Mine are all in excellent condition, wouldn't have been disappointed if I bought these as firsts. One Maxamet has a slightly more acute edge on the clip side and the other one might have a slight brown discoloration near the tip (the last 1/8" or 1/16") but those are really minor things. The action and lockup are terrific on all 3 PM2s. And the S45VN PM2 and Z-cut look perfect. Very pleasantly surprised!

(one of the Maxamets and the S45VN PM2 are for my dad - I got him to buy his first Spyderco a couple months ago and I think these are Spydies #5 and #6 for him already :D ).

ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:55 pm
ramasipsc wrote:
That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad as f****. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

As advertised there are some minor flaws, but blade wrap this bad is not minor flaw. It is disaster.
Never saw so bad examples in person seconds sale pictures ever.
Waiting mine, will pay customs prices about 40 usd for knife and hope it will be not as bad as I saw.
And look at that Military with no lock. How it slipped through? Unbelievable