C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
V-1.5 aka V-1

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

Great news! The project is not only green lighted but material is in process. Thank you Spyderco.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Outstanding!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I have wanted one of these for years but I have never been able to acquire one. I don't care if it's PE or SE I want one badly.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:22 pm
I love this company. Sal is just like that neighbor that enjoys shooting the breeze and tosses in the occasional cryptic Easter egg for you to chew on until he pokes his head over your fence again. A truly unique customer experience :spyder:
Pretty funny. Envisioning Sal as Mr. Feeny guiding young Spyder-enthused protagonists with sage life-wisdom.

"Mr. Feeny! It's 3am... why are you still in your backyard?"
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Sorry if this info is available elsewhere and I just can't find it, but does anybody have a sense of the production numbers for the original Ayoob? I know they only made it for a couple of years, with the G-10 sprint years later, but was just curious how many of the originals are floating around out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:10 pm
I can hardly wait!!
You got that right Buddy!! :D This is similar to being a kid on a very prosperous Christmas morning :) The anticipation is awesome and the appreciation will be awesome as well>> that is when our ship finally arrives. And it will get here quicker than you realize.

I am going to tell everyone up front that might want one of these C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run models>> you better be ready to pull the trigger fast or you may not get one. The boxes won't be there long enough to draw any dust on a dealer's shelf.

I'm just really anxious to see how a lot of the newer forum members and newer Spyderco fans are going to react to this Sprint Run :cool: Because most of the newer folks have never gotten to check out one of these C-60 models. I'm still blown away at the intense interest for a serrated version. Because that wasn't the case the first time around.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:10 pm
I have wanted one of these for years but I have never been able to acquire one. I don't care if it's PE or SE I want one badly.
Your day is coming Sir!! Just be ready with cash in hand because I don't look for this Sprint Run to last very long at all. I really think that in less than two months they will all be sold out ( PE & SE both). And it might be quicker than that.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd be surprised if it didn't set a record time in being sold out.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 am
I'd be surprised if it didn't set a record time in being sold out.
I've recently chatted with some of the Brethren over at Bladeforums who are anxiously awaiting the release of this new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. And I've had at least 3 people tell me recently that they don't care whether or not it is a plain edge or Spyderedge either one. There are a lot of new Spyderco fans that have got on board with serious collecting that have never had the chance to get their hands on a C-60 Ayoob model. In the past 18 months I would say that I've had at least 5to 6 people ask me if I've had a C-60 for sale or trade. But my C-60 Ayoob models are among my sacred belongings.

It's going to be interesting to see how many of them sell in the first week of the release. I'm doubtful if there will be any left in a two month time span>> and probably much sooner than that.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am
Your day is coming Sir!! Just be ready with cash in hand because I don't look for this Sprint Run to last very long at all. I really think that in less than two months they will all be sold out ( PE & SE both). And it might be quicker than that.
I will be ready. It will be available in LC200N right? Because LC200N would be perfect for me and fit perfectly with carrying my Spydiechef.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm
I will be ready. It will be available in LC200N right? Because LC200N would be perfect for me and fit perfectly with carrying my Spydiechef.
Not sure yet. Sal just said that the steel is coming from Golden. Many of us were under the impression that it would VG-10.
benben

Post by benben »

Okay, I pretty much thought this new Ayoob was nailed down with VG-10 and Burgundy G-10 scales?? So where do you guys realistically think we're at with the final design?

We need some kind of wager, maybe a small prize of some kind (or just an attaboy) for the guy who guesses correctly first?

Blue G-10 (which was my very first suggestion way back when) and SPY27 (which I know nothing about) are starting to sound like a real possibility now!
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Black G10, maybe with some edge bevels to more closely resemble the original? Anything other than black just doesn't seem quite right but who knows. Maybe in M390? S30V?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:09 pm
Mike Slayer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm
Not sure yet. Sal just said that the steel is coming from Golden. Many of us were under the impression that it would VG-10.
That was the impression I got when I first got the news that they gave it a "green light". But that is all right news for me because VG-10 is a great EDC blade steel. Albeit if they changed their minds and want to use LC200N instead I won't argue with that either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Okay, I pretty much thought this new Ayoob was nailed down with VG-10 and Burgundy G-10 scales?? So where do you guys realistically think we're at with the final design?

We need some kind of wager, maybe a small prize of some kind (or just an attaboy) for the guy who guesses correctly first?

Blue G-10 (which was my very first suggestion way back when) and SPY27 (which I know nothing about) are starting to sound like a real possibility now!
I thought for sure that they had already decided on VG-10. I did a few posts back make a suggestion that they might consider having different handle colors for different edge types like they did on some models years ago. I do hope that will be considerd.

If there is a new/different blade steel I would love to know what they decided on.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:04 pm
If there is a new/different blade steel I would love to know what they decided on.

I think Sal is going to let us guess for a bit longer. Instead of guessing what I think the configuration will most likely be (black G10), I'm going to agree with benben that I want it to come in blue G10 and SPY27. Second guess is maroon G10 and Cru-Wear.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:24 pm

I thought for sure that they had already decided on VG-10. I did a few posts back make a suggestion that they might consider having different handle colors for different edge types like they did on some models years ago. I do hope that will be considerd.

Sal said a few pages back it won't be VG-10.
sal wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:41 pm
It wont be VG-10. :cool:

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

I think Sal is going to let us guess for a bit longer. Instead of guessing what I think the configuration will most likely be (black G10), I'm going to agree with benben that I want it to come in blue G10 and SPY27. Second guess is maroon G10 and Cru-Wear.
OK with all that being said. This might just be a great model to use that SPY-27. and use the blue handle for PE and the Maroon handle for SE. I can live with that.

I've been kind of wanting to try this SPY-27 anyway. I just hope it ends up being a good blade steel for SE. I've heard it's pretty decent on plain edges.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would prefer the steel to be LC200N, even if it’s hollow-ground; or SPY27.

Personally, I don’t favor non-stainless tool steels (in folders).

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:42 pm
I would prefer the steel to be LC200N, even if it’s hollow-ground; or SPY27.

Personally, I don’t favor non-stainless tool steels (in folders).

Jim
Heck the more I think about it I bet SPY27 might just be a great choice. I've been wanting to get a blade made with it and this would be a great option.

Just so it isn't something ancient like GIn-1, AUS-8 or 440A