Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by bearrowland »

You would have definitely had some cutting leverage with it.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Impala, Jess Horn FRN, and the Volpe!
Reject

Post by Reject »

C124 Ed Schempp Barong

How much can a Koala bear?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Reject wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:39 pm
C124 Ed Schempp Barong

Now that one puzzles me. Why the huge ricasso? Looks like it could have nearly 50% more cutting edge if that portion had been ground with the rest of the blade. :confused:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Reject wrote:
C124 Ed Schempp Barong

I miss this one. It was a great knife and very interesting aesthetically. The foliage green G10 era was one I truly enjoyed, despite the widespread criticism of the color.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:12 pm
You would have definitely had some cutting leverage with it.
Are you talking in reference to that Karambit I was talking about. Hey I'm not making that up either. I know a few woodworkers in the area and I stay in touch with them because their suppliers have lots of good sharpening tools.

But yes I can sort of see how that Spyderco Karambit would have the potential to do intricate carving. There is a company that has been advertising a lot in the knife magazines>> the name of the company is "Flexcut" and I must admit that they have several interesting carving tools. I'm also sure that several other Karambits made by other companies would also make for good woodworking tools as well.

That's what I like about any type of Hawkbill type blade. Because "Pull Cutting" for sure has a lot of advantages for certain jobs.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm
Reject wrote:
C124 Ed Schempp Barong

I miss this one. It was a great knife and very interesting aesthetically. The foliage green G10 era was one I truly enjoyed, despite the widespread criticism of the color.
I never owned one of those "Barong" models but I have been on the lookout for one I could trade for. I wouldn't even mind having a used one because I'm sure that there would be jobs that Barong would be good for. Since it was discontinued I haven't heard much talk about it.

Many of those Ed Schempp designs have a cult following but mainly a small crowd for the most part. I would still like to see his KRIS model in a Sprint Run at some point. That's another "Recurve" model I would like to see with TEETH :cool:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:35 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm
Reject wrote:
C124 Ed Schempp Barong

I never owned one of those "Barong" models but I have been on the lookout for one I could trade for. I wouldn't even mind having a used one because I'm sure that there would be jobs that Barong would be good for. Since it was discontinued I haven't heard much talk about it.

Many of those Ed Schempp designs have a cult following but mainly a small crowd for the most part. I would still like to see his KRIS model in a Sprint Run at some point. That's another "Recurve" model I would like to see with TEETH :cool:

The Barong is one of the traditional martial blades of our country and I hope that someday, Spyderco would produce a new, updated one like the upcoming Ayoob, or maybe even reissue the Schempp design with newer blade steels.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Not completely forgotten but possibly fading from memory.

I carry my Almite version a few times a year. The Nishijin version is in my pocket today for the first time in many years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PSquared wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:30 am
Not completely forgotten but possibly fading from memory.

I carry my Almite version a few times a year. The Nishijin version is in my pocket today for the first time in many years.
There is something about all the Spyderco models that were designed by Bob Lum. I didn't even like Tanto blades until I got one designed by Bob Lum and I ended up loving his. He was an excellent knife designer and his concepts were quite unique.

That Chinese model is one I owned a couple of times but I never found it nearly as useful as I do my C-46 Lum Tanto folder. The Lum fixed blade is a great one too.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Yes JD, the Karambit. The shape of that blade looks like it would be a great woodworking knife. I really like the different updates on traditional knives that Spyderco put out.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Reject

Post by Reject »

C37 Michael Walker Lightweight

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 pm
C37 Michael Walker Lightweight

Reject if you keep this up you're going to be charged with "torment" :D It's just not fair to torment me with all these "Golden Oldies" you keep putting on the table :o

I'm kind of surprised you haven't shown us any "two screw Worker" models. They are as rare as a hen's tooth but I still figure if anyone here has one it would be you or the Deacon :D

I'm doubtful if even one the Glesser family could top what you've been showing us :cool: But don't stop now just keep them coming :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

Sorry; :( no two screw Workers in my collection. I would love to see it posted there too.

But this thread is about "Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?". :eek: What Spydie fan would forget about the C01 Worker.

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In my opinion, any reverie about the folding knife ethnic series of Mr. Ed Schempp
must include his Bowie.

For more Schempp Bowie eye candy, visit my Spyderco Schempp Bowie photo album.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Reject

Post by Reject »

C59 Eduard Bradichansky Shabaria

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm
In my opinion, any reverie about the folding knife ethnic series of Mr. Ed Schempp
must include his Bowie.

For more Schempp Bowie eye candy, visit my Spyderco Schempp Bowie photo album.
You know, the Schempp Bowie was on my list of knives to buy at the Second's Sale. None made it, though. Just from looking at it, it strikes me as an underrated user knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍😍😍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I keep coming back to the Tusk and the Rookie. My son is a sailor, and loves Spyderco. I love the looks of the Rookie. I envy you all that have been in the Spyderco universe for awhile. So many gorgeous, truly unique knives.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:21 pm
C59 Eduard Bradichansky Shabaria
I had two of those Shabaria models at one time. And later on I acquired a used one that I thought I would try to carry for a while. But that handle configuration and overall design just didn't fit my hand at all. The Shabaria was a most interesting design and I would love to have been able to ask the man who designed it what inspired him to do so.

Glad you shared that photo with us. You don't see or hear of the Shabaria much at all anymore,. This has become a most interesting thread. Don't stop now whatever you guys do :)