Poll: How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Clipped to a pocket (specify: front/back)
47%
Loose in a pocket (specify: front/back, with/without lanyard)
37%
Attached to keys
3%
Pocket pouch/organizer.
No votes
Belt sheath/organizer.
No votes
Clipped inside waistband
5%
Other (specify)
8%

Total votes: 62

RocketJ

Re: Poll: How do you carry your Spyderco Dragonfly?

Post by RocketJ »

AHarbuck:

Not a bit of rust or corrosion that I could see. A light dousing with CLP and a little Tuf Glide should do the trick. I really hope I’m not the only one here that pulls these bonehead stunts!
John
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I voted for the first option (clipped, front pocket most of the time but occasionally back pocket) since that's how I carry the DF2 when wearing "regular" pants. I do carry my DF2 Salt IWB when trail running in running shorts/running pants, though.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Loose in pocket, but I keep the clip on. I think the ergos are a lot better with the clip
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Impossible poll to answer

when I received my first DF some 4-5 years ago, I was a bit underwhelmed. I couldn't imagine how this unassuming plastic knife with mushy action could live up to the raving reviews I had been seeing.
Fast forward a few years, I just received my third DF2. The only knife I've bought in more than two versions, and I still have all three. At least for now.
The beauty of the DF2 is how it handels compared to its size and weight. And while it might not sound very flattering, the ideal use case for the DF is when you usually wouldn't carry a knife at all. For me that used to be a lot of situations.
For the entire shorts season of the summer (not amazingly long up here) it more or less lives in the bottom of the cargo pocket in my shorts. When running it goes IWB on my shorts or pants. For fast and light adventures in the surrounding forests and mountains, it sometimes go in the backpack. For just out and about it often goes unclipped in a zipped accessory pocket on my outdoor pants. On fishing trips I often clip it to my front right pocket as a handy precision tool for working with fishing lines.
It's so versatile, which in turn mean I carry it in many different ways.
Not sure if it's my preferences or just European fifth pockets being smaller than their US counterparts, but I find the manbug/ladybug to be a better fit for my fifths. And as such, it has become more of an outdoor/spare time knife for me, and not one I prefer for work/EDC.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Left front pocket (I'm a righty), with lanyard. ZPD steel.
cooterbaldwin

Post by cooterbaldwin »

Clipped, front pocket. Except for my PE Salt DF. I used his clip to replace the clip that broke on my Techno. So he goes loose in my front pocket. No lanyards on any of my Dragonflies.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Always clipped. Funny that people worry about losing it. I don't see how it is much more likely to fall out of a pocket than any other knife. The wire clip is secure. I've carried one at work, outdoors, in the woods, through wetlands, in all sorts of weather and never lost a Dragonfly, while I have lost a Salt 1 twice in similar situations. (Later found both.)

All get short Chris Reeves style lanyards, typically attached to the wire clip. I carry usually LFP, when it's a supplement to a larger knife, or RFP if it's the main carry.

The only time I loose carry is in pajamas, and it does fall out on the regular.
Last edited by araneae on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I take off the clips and drop them down in my pocket. It is too big for a keyring knife. The Ladybug or Manbug or Roadie are better choices for that.

I also carry one loose in my pajamas. The only time I carry clipped is one of my Salts when I go swimming. Then, it is clipped on the inside of my waistband.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Clipped to left front pocket right now. Occasionally, I'll forget to return it to my pocket clipped, and it will be loose. I don't reverse the clip, as it actually still works pretty good for me LH as-is, and usually when I'm wearing jeans, it's clipped to my watch/coin pocket or RH front pocket (but I am left-handed). Clips mean that if I'm sitting or lying down; it won't fall out. The wire clip has really good retention.

I wanted a bigger Spyderco (and I got the two current models I wanted most cheaply here through the factory sale), and at the time, it was all that was in my budget range. It had to have a clip. But, I've found it does all I need while not being obtrusive. Carries well in sweatpants (I've actually went to bed with it still clipped to my pocket by mistake a few times), and jeans. It is, pretty much, my go-to OHO folder these days.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Around the house, I drop it into my front pocket. I think the frn texture keeps it from falling out?
I also like to use the shorter wire clip on other knives, so I have extra incentive to buy more dragonflies and carry them clipless :D

And - with jeans, the fifth pocket works great. You will not have to worry about losing it.
I tried IWB a few times, but found the volcano-texture and sharp back-end a bit too pointy when seated.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I carry my DF2’s clipped in the watch pocket of my jeans. If not wearing jeans then it’s clipped to my right front pocket.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Most commonly I carry the dragonfly in the waistband pocket of my backpack.

When I am carrying it as my only knife, I clip it to my front right pocket.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I have a hawkbill salt fly. Mine is usually clipped on the outside of my inner pocket of my coat, as a second knife. Otherwise it’s IWB on my athletic shorts. Perfect size and weight for running and activities like that.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Loose in pocket. It's too small, light, and weak retention wire clip.
RocketJ wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 am
Not a bit of rust or corrosion that I could see. A light dousing with CLP and a little Tuf Glide should do the trick. I really hope I’m not the only one here that pulls these bonehead stunts!
I've had dozens of non stainless blades run through the washing machine that came out fine. Like you, wipe it down with breakfree clp and it's good.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Dragonfly Salt serrated is my all time favorite knife. I've had and sold a few over the years and recently went back to one. Going on 2 months straight of waistband carry everyday whether at work, trail running, or just knocking around the house. Only dedicated knife I own.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 pm
RocketJ wrote:
I've had dozens of non stainless blades run through the washing machine that came out fine. Like you, wipe it down with breakfree clp and it's good.
Good to hear. My k390 ladybug got a spot of pitting rust from being carried on my keychain. I assume a drop from rain or something got on it but I wasn’t aware of it being exposed to water. I didn’t have any oil on it though so maybe that’s the difference. Stupid of me. Lesson learned.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

foofie wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am
Around the house, I drop it into my front pocket. I think the frn texture keeps it from falling out?
I also like to use the shorter wire clip on other knives, so I have extra incentive to buy more dragonflies and carry them clipless :D

And - with jeans, the fifth pocket works great. You will not have to worry about losing it.
I tried IWB a few times, but found the volcano-texture and sharp back-end a bit too pointy when seated.
My jeans 5th pocket is slightly too shallow to hold one clipless like I prefer to carry them, so my ladybug goes there. Other work pants of mine have a deeper watch pocket that’s perfect for a Dfly. But loose in front pocket with shorts is where it really shines for my uses.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

AHarbuck wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 pm
RocketJ wrote:
Good to hear. My k390 ladybug got a spot of pitting rust from being carried on my keychain. I assume a drop from rain or something got on it but I wasn’t aware of it being exposed to water. I didn’t have any oil on it though so maybe that’s the difference. Stupid of me. Lesson learned.
The only times my knives see any oil is under unusual circumstances like being run through the wash, sharpening them on oil stones, or a drop to free up a gummy pivot. Normally I just keep them clean and dry.

I've never known plain water to cause any corrosion unless exposed for a long time.
I've swam all day in the lake on many occasions with a non stainless knife clipped to my shorts no problem.
In the ocean is a different story.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

The Salt Dragonfly se is my favorite Spydie and always has a place in my right front pocket as a companion to a larger folder. Usually a Caribbean🌴🍹
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

H1 Serrated, with lanyard. Carry loose in front pocket in shorts or side pocket pants. I carry it clipped with jeans or other top type pockets. My MOST carried knife by far.