The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am
Awesome Darby.
Very nice G19.
I love my G17
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just picked this up as part of a trade deal the other day. Its a Smith & Wesson Model 4506-1. I'd never seen one before and had no idea what it was beyond the obvious, but it looked good and felt great in my hand. Figured owning another gun in .45ACP is never a bad thing, especially a DA/SA semi-auto, so I went for it. :D

Weighs a little over half a pound more than my .45ACP PX4 Storm, but doesn't feel any heavier on my hip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:37 am
Just picked this up as part of a trade deal the other day. Its a Smith & Wesson Model 4506-1. I'd never seen one before and had no idea what it was beyond the obvious, but it looked good and felt great in my hand. Figured owning another gun in .45ACP is never a bad thing, especially a DA/SA semi-auto, so I went for it. :D

Weighs a little over half a pound more than my .45ACP PX4 Storm, but doesn't feel any heavier on my hip.
Very nice, Paul!
The 3rd gen Smiths are such a handsome pistol!!
Very nice semi autos. Built like a tank.
Enjoy!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Nice combo! How's that little Olight working for you? I ordered one for my M&P, half-off from the Olight Store, about two weeks ago and still haven't even received a shipping notification! Haha I'm not entirely convinced that I wasn't scammed.. hoping to get it soon though!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I got a Glock19 with this light in the hopes that the holster search would be easy. There seems to be quite a few options.

Nice combo! How's that little Olight working for you? I ordered one for my M&P, half-off from the Olight Store, about two weeks ago and still haven't even received a shipping notification! Haha I'm not entirely convinced that I wasn't scammed.. hoping to get it soon though!
I like it quite a bit. It is small and only has one brightness. Nice and simple. The recharging is also a nice setup.

I have ordered from the olight store three times without issues. Going to order a couple more lights from them on Friday.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Nice 4606 Paul. I carried a 4516-1 for several years. They are tough pistols and last a long time. Yours looks like it's in perfect condition too. They are expensive to shoot nowadays. Hopefully you have stores bought in less expensive days. My 4516 did great on a constant +P diet and was easy to handle. I believe that was before I went to a Glock 23. I point and shoot Glocks easier- faster and they just work for me more naturally. Sort of like my Endura thing. :) It would be tough to wear out that Smith though. Number or mark your magazines though. That is one thing I remember about mine.

I'm wanting to get a 4 inch stainless 357 in the near future. I've always liked Rugers and still have an old blue Speed Six. I'm trying to decide between the GP100 and the S&W M 65 4 inch like I carried for a career on my state job. I'm undecided as of yet.

Joe
Donut

Post by Donut »

Last gun I bought was about 2 years ago, a Glock 17.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:37 am
edit:

A friend of mine had the 645 and the 4506 was the next evolution. Really strong, solid guns.

Novak (gunsmith) had a set of mods or changes for the 3rd gen guns. Forget if they were incorporated from the start of the 4506 run or not.

If you do a search you might be able to find the information.

Here's a starter:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithi ... f3cca5a5b2
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I got a Glock19 with this light in the hopes that the holster search would be easy. There seems to be quite a few options.

I like it quite a bit. It is small and only has one brightness. Nice and simple. The recharging is also a nice setup.

I have ordered from the olight store three times without issues. Going to order a couple more lights from them on Friday.
Nice! I think all of these fancy lights with multiple brightness levels are so overrated haha..give me simple any day. Bright enough to see.. one button.. on, off. I like simple.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with the Olight Store on my order.. almost immediately, an employee sent me an email asking me to "verify my address," which I did.. I assumed, given the attention to making sure they had the correct address, that the order would be shipped out pretty quickly.. and now it's been two weeks.. I've sent multiple emails asking for a status update and have received only cookie-cutter responses, saying that I'll get a tracking number when they ship out my order.. but they have provided no estimate of when that may occur.. bizarre experience all around, and frankly, some of the worst customer service I've ever received on an online purchase.. Idk, the deal on the light was really good, so I suppose I'm willing to put up with a little bit of nonsense on it.. hoping it makes it out to me soon!
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

It FINALLY came! Haha not sure why there was such a delay, but the Olight people finally came through! Frustrating shipping ordeal aside, this light is pretty great. Very intuitive to use. I like it. Now to buy a better gun to put it on..

Rick H.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:53 pm
It FINALLY came! Haha not sure why there was such a delay, but the Olight people finally came through! Frustrating shipping ordeal aside, this light is pretty great. Very intuitive to use. I like it. Now to buy a better gun to put it on..

Looks good Rick
I'd like to find something to mount on my Sig P229 Sport - I already have Crimson Trace laser grips on her.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Looks good Rick
I'd like to find something to mount on my Sig P229 Sport - I already have Crimson Trace laser grips on her.
Thanks MacLaren!

I've been thinking about crimson trace grips for my S&W 442. With most full/compact-sized guns I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I feel like the laser grips would be a real asset with the snubby.

This light is nice though. I feel like being able to see what you're shooting at in the dark could come in handy if need be..

:)
Rick H.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Looks good Rick
Thanks MacLaren!

I've been thinking about crimson trace grips for my S&W 442. With most full/compact-sized guns I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I feel like the laser grips would be a real asset with the snubby.

This light is nice though. I feel like being able to see what you're shooting at in the dark could come in handy if need be..

:)
I hear ya man.
The P229 Sport, when I bought it already had them on it. And, I love it lol
Like you, I'm pretty confident out to 50 yards, but you make a great point in being handy on a snubby.
I've never thought about that. These were the first Crimson Trace laser grips I'd ever had.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Went on Armslist early this morning and spotted this Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact that had been posted yesterday for what, in today's market, was a great price. Called the guy and was pleasantly surprised to find it was still available. Met him an hour later and added it to my toy chest. :D

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

I shouldn't have, but when I went home for Thanksgiving I went to the local gun store in the small town I grew up in and I was astonished to see so many different models of Glock for sale (17,19, 19 MOS, 26,42,43,45 MOS and I want to say they had even a 43X too). Living in a city where I haven't seen a Glock in a case since March 2020, with one exception of one time I saw the 45 and the 3rd gen model 19 in an Academy around May, this was astonishing.

I got the 19 MOS. I've been wanting one for a while, and the Glock 19 is my "main" for lack of a better word handgun. It's not my favorite, but it's the platform I use the most and I have been wanting to get one with an optic mounting capability. It was not a great price, but it's a small shop and their items are always a bit high. I did debate the model 45 as the grip naturally feels better, but the 19 is the far more practical gun for me to carry, and I have many more magazines/holsters for it.

My goodness they were selling those Glocks though. The gentleman who was served before me bought a model 17, and so did the gentleman served right after me. Someone else was getting the 45 I passed on before I left the store. I imagine they sold their entire stock, if not that day than the next.

It will sit idle for a bit though I'm afraid, ammunition being what it is, and I will have to wait until I'm ready to properly configure it like I want. I'm sure I'll take it out and function test it a bit but it won't be anything exciting. I don't plan on doing anything crazy, but I will want to replace the sights (it always bothers me the MOS models don't come with a basic set of black serrated suppressor height sights), mount a light, and I'm considering which optic to spring for, and I'll have to holster it. Maybe an aftermarket trigger if I feel froggy, and I do have a threaded barrel...
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

KnotTheory wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:18 am
I shouldn't have, but when I went home for Thanksgiving I went to the local gun store in the small town I grew up in and I was astonished to see so many different models of Glock for sale (17,19, 19 MOS, 26,42,43,45 MOS and I want to say they had even a 43X too). Living in a city where I haven't seen a Glock in a case since March 2020, with one exception of one time I saw the 45 and the 3rd gen model 19 in an Academy around May, this was astonishing.

I got the 19 MOS. I've been wanting one for a while, and the Glock 19 is my "main" for lack of a better word handgun. It's not my favorite, but it's the platform I use the most and I have been wanting to get one with an optic mounting capability. It was not a great price, but it's a small shop and their items are always a bit high. I did debate the model 45 as the grip naturally feels better, but the 19 is the far more practical gun for me to carry, and I have many more magazines/holsters for it.

My goodness they were selling those Glocks though. The gentleman who was served before me bought a model 17, and so did the gentleman served right after me. Someone else was getting the 45 I passed on before I left the store. I imagine they sold their entire stock, if not that day than the next.

It will sit idle for a bit though I'm afraid, ammunition being what it is, and I will have to wait until I'm ready to properly configure it like I want. I'm sure I'll take it out and function test it a bit but it won't be anything exciting. I don't plan on doing anything crazy, but I will want to replace the sights (it always bothers me the MOS models don't come with a basic set of black serrated suppressor height sights), mount a light, and I'm considering which optic to spring for, and I'll have to holster it. Maybe an aftermarket trigger if I feel froggy, and I do have a threaded barrel...
Nice score!
I have a Gen 5 G17
I would suggest a 3.5 pound connector and polish.
Its does help imo.
Its very dam hard to beat a Glock for edc imo
They aren't called the Austrian Super Gun for nothing
They're tough as ****, shoot good, and very inexpensive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Btw, I really like the Talon Grips too.
This time I went with the rubberized, but I think I'll go back to granular.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:56 pm
Talon grips are great, I need to order a new set to replace my worn ones on my Shield, thanks for reminding me!
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:41 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:56 pm
Talon grips are great, I need to order a new set to replace my worn ones on my Shield, thanks for reminding me!
Your welcome Josh!
Think I'm gonna look into a Sheild myself.
Everyone I know really likes them