SpyderSaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: SpyderSaw

Post by Wartstein »

eRoc wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:06 pm
Robbob wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm
For less than 1" most people just use their hands to break the limbs. Anything larger deploy the ol' foot/hand combo. If 3+ inches you're probably not in a casual hiking scenario or need to find smaller wood. In an emergency situation my multi tool has a whistle which would probably be more useful than the included saw. Processing wood for even a small fire with a pocket saw is an interesting one-time experience.

I put pocket saws in the same category as pocket prybars. They're good to buy and then immediately post on a forum asking people what to use them for.

Well, you are right on that one can break pretty thick branches with hand and or foot. And that´s what I ´d certainly do for preparing a fire.

But that´s really not the only scenario where one would "work" with wood, sometimes one needs to have clean cuts (and not just breakages) and several pieces of branches in an exact, measured length: Think of building an emergency shelter or other simple constructions, even if just built for fun (pot holders, simple structures like firegrates and so on). Or think of having to craft a makeshift crutch. Or wanting to cut a fresh sapling, cause one wants the more flexible and less likely to break wood - MUCH easier with a saw...

I use pocket saws (on leathermen and SAKs) quite a bit and find them useful. And I have a whistle with me in the outdoors, but in many places where I go no one would hear me blowing it... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Christian Noble wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:40 pm
First off, sorry fellas that I didn't search for earlier threads as they are some good points in the one Wartstein started.
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am
And I was thinking the same niche, something a touch smaller than the Opinel #12 of which it would compete directly. The other folders like Bahco and Silky are more of "I am packing it with me as I have intent to use for a significant crafting project or processing wood." The SpyderSaw is always there when I need it.

No problem at all to start a new thread, I hope i did not come across as if I wanted to indicate that there´d be something wrong with that!! I even think that´s a good thing! :)

/ You´re spot on! A Spydersaw, as light and slim as it is, would probably just end up in my pack even when I´d not be sure I´d need it at that particular day. Or Í´d bring it just for fun even if I just carry a hip bag to built some minor stuff at a fireside.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:04 am
If weight and a thinner handle is the only thing you care about, then perhaps the SpyderSaw is for you. However, the Silky Pocket Boy 130 has a thinner blade, there are options for both large teeth, medium teeth, fine teeth and extra-fine teeth, the blades are replaceable and the Silky saws just down right cut better. That's just anecdotal from my personal experience (and many others you can look up online); however, for me, I've used both and I know which one cuts better and faster...so that's what I'd go with.

I own the SpyderSaw, and the pocket clip leaves much to be desired. Also, even the saw on my Vic Farmer cuts better than it.

Well, I am really not in a position to argue with you about the Spydersaw, since you clearly have a lot more experience with it (and pocket saws generally) than I do :) - in fact, I have no practical experience with the Spydersaw at all, I´d just imagine and hope a new version of it would be an as good performer as the best competitors out on the market (and yes, SAK saws cut very well!).

I did quite a bit of "bushcrafting" when I was younger, but these days I am more of an mountaineer, and don´t use a saw very often. But that´s exactly why something slim and light as the Spydersaw attracts me, cause that one I´d take with me just in case (but not a heavier, bulkier one)
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:33 pm
eRoc wrote:
Robbob wrote:
For less than 1" most people just use their hands to break the limbs. Anything larger deploy the ol' foot/hand combo. If 3+ inches you're probably not in a casual hiking scenario or need to find smaller wood. In an emergency situation my multi tool has a whistle which would probably be more useful than the included saw. Processing wood for even a small fire with a pocket saw is an interesting one-time experience.

I put pocket saws in the same category as pocket prybars. They're good to buy and then immediately post on a forum asking people what to use them for.

Well, you are right on that one can break pretty thick branches with hand and or foot. And that´s what I ´d certainly do for preparing a fire.

But that´s really not the only scenario where one would "work" with wood, sometimes one needs to have clean cuts (and not just breakages) and several pieces of branches in an exact, measured length: Think of building an emergency shelter or other simple constructions, even if just built for fun (pot holders, simple structures like firegrates and so on). Or think of having to craft a makeshift crutch. Or wanting to cut a fresh sapling, cause one wants the more flexible and less likely to break wood - MUCH easier with a saw...

I use pocket saws (on leathermen and SAKs) quite a bit and find them useful. And I have a whistle with me in the outdoors, but in many places where I go no one would hear me blowing it... ;)
Ok I will concede. If you're building two story homes for rabbits deep in a forest and they need to be built to spec, you might need a Spydersaw.

For those of us not building model homes for forest creatures, take your knife and cut out a wedge in the wood, bend, and bam, clean break. For larger wood, carry an axe.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

eRoc wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
eRoc wrote:
Robbob wrote:
Ok I will concede. If you're building two story homes for rabbits deep in a forest and they need to be built to spec, you might need a Spydersaw.

For those of us not building model homes for forest creatures, take your knife and cut out a wedge in the wood, bend, and bam, clean break. For larger wood, carry an axe.
I guess we have just different techniques and approaches when it comes to this, and that´s fine! :)

I can just say: I did built quite a few shelters or frameworks for tarps or the like, sometimes out of fresh saplings, and just for me this works a whole lot easier and better with a saw than with a knife. Actually, a saw is an absolute must have on a multitool that I bring to the outdoors, and sees a lot more use there than pliers, screwdrivers and the like.
Also, when doing more serious work like building a "wilderness bed" or more robust shelter out of thicker wood, I think a (larger, not tiny pocket) saw works better for that than (just) an axe..

But lets agree to disagree! ;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

kerrcobra wrote:
I have the Spydersaw. It's nice for what it is, but I can't imagine it will meet the price point of cheaper pocket saws - and it doesn't perform as well as my Silky. I'd rather have my Silky saw, and if I wanted a pocket sized one - I'd buy a Silky in a smaller form factor - but honestly I don't carry a saw in my pocket.
The tooth style on the Spydersaw is one developed long ago in Japan. I own several folding saws by Silky, and they are great. Length really makes a big difference in saws, so my smallest has around a 6” blade, which is huge for a pocket folder, but small for a saw.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:57 pm
eRoc wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
eRoc wrote:

I guess we have just different techniques and approaches when it comes to this, and that´s fine! :)

I can just say: I did built quite a few shelters or frameworks for tarps or the like, sometimes out of fresh saplings, and just for me this works a whole lot easier and better with a saw than with a knife. Actually, a saw is an absolute must have on a multitool that I bring to the outdoors, and sees a lot more use there than pliers, screwdrivers and the like.
Also, when doing more serious work like building a "wilderness bed" or more robust shelter out of thicker wood, I think a (larger, not tiny pocket) saw works better for that than (just) an axe..

But lets agree to disagree! ;)
Fair enough. Probably a tad different here in Texas. I have to use titanium nails for tent stakes most times because the ground is so hard. I've never heard the term "wilderness bed". I'm assuming you mean the spot on the ground you sleep that doesn't have snakes. A 5" saw means dying of dehydration and hogs eating your corpse. :D

I'd be game for a Spyderco multi-tool though.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:45 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
kerrcobra wrote:
If weight and a thinner handle is the only thing you care about, then perhaps the SpyderSaw is for you. However, the Silky Pocket Boy 130 has a thinner blade, there are options for both large teeth, medium teeth, fine teeth and extra-fine teeth, the blades are replaceable and the Silky saws just down right cut better. That's just anecdotal from my personal experience (and many others you can look up online); however, for me, I've used both and I know which one cuts better and faster...so that's what I'd go with.

I own the SpyderSaw, and the pocket clip leaves much to be desired. Also, even the saw on my Vic Farmer cuts better than it.

Well, I am really not in a position to argue with you about the Spydersaw, since you clearly have a lot more experience with it (and pocket saws generally) than I do :) - in fact, I have no practical experience with the Spydersaw at all, I´d just imagine and hope a new version of it would be an as good performer as the best competitors out on the market (and yes, SAK saws cut very well!).

I did quite a bit of "bushcrafting" when I was younger, but these days I am more of an mountaineer, and don´t use a saw very often. But that´s exactly why something slim and light as the Spydersaw attracts me, cause that one I´d take with me just in case (but not a heavier, bulkier one)
I respect that we have different opinions, and I'm not trying to argue with you just have a polite discussion. I apologize if it came off negatively. In regards to the SpyderSaw, my final thoughts are that if Spyderco were to bring it back it would be expensive because Spyderco isn't in the saw market and that's already been cornered by bigger players, so I personally wouldn't buy a saw that's more expensive and doesn't have a replaceable blade and doesn't out cut the competition. However, if I want to be wishful for just a second, I would love for Spyderco to make a small, thin-bladed pair of scissors (like SAK Pioneer X sized) in a premium highly wear resistant steel like K390 (or M390, S90V, ZDP-189, etc).
--Jeremy
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

cody6268 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:12 pm
Nice, but why not add a saw to the newer, bigger Clipitools as an extra blade layer? Say, a "Clipitool Hiker" for example.

This^

You may be on to something there, a saw would be a great addition to the Clipitool.

Honestly though I really think they should upgrade the Clipitool to BD1N.

If Spyderco sold a Clipitool with a saw and in BD1N I would be all over it!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 pm
cody6268 wrote:
Nice, but why not add a saw to the newer, bigger Clipitools as an extra blade layer? Say, a "Clipitool Hiker" for example.

This^

You may be on to something there, a saw would be a great addition to the Clipitool.

I started two polls about a Dyad / double bladed folder featuring a saw (viewtopic.php?t=82630) (viewtopic.php?t=87504), with rather mixed responses - maybe people would like the idea more in a larger clipitool, so featuring some more functions than "just" two blades?!

Like you I think larger Clipitool with saw and in BD1N would be really nice!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

eRoc wrote:
Robbob wrote:
Something like this would be nice for handling smaller limbs (<1") when camping and hiking. Basically, it would be a SAK saw on steriods. I know a Silky is more ideal, but their thick handles make the awkward to carry when casually hiking (i.e. without a pack).

I'm thinking more along the lines of trail and campsite maintenance, neatly pruning green branches. About the only advantage a pocket saw has regarding a campfire is for hotdog sticks.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 pm
cody6268 wrote:

This^

I started two polls about a Dyad / double bladed folder featuring a saw (viewtopic.php?t=82630) (viewtopic.php?t=87504), with rather mixed responses - maybe people would like the idea more in a larger clipitool, so featuring some more functions than "just" two blades?!

Like you I think larger Clipitool with saw and in BD1N would be really nice!
Yeah I really think a Clipitool in BD1N with the right tools would be a great seller. In my opinion it would give Victorinox a run for its money if it was done right. Victorinox makes the best little wood saw blade IMHO it might be hard to match.

This configuration might make the price point to high though. I really don’t know.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”