Why the hate of Zome?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like Zome? (The pattern in general, irrespective of color)

Yes, I collect them all
3%
Yes, it makes me more interested in a given model
17%
Sometimes/indifferent
42%
No, it makes me less interested in a given model
21%
No, I will never buy anything Zome
17%

Total votes: 106

Ez556

Why the hate of Zome?

Post by Ez556 »

I've noticed across multiple platforms that whenever a Zome model is mentioned, so many people complain about it in some way. Some wish it were just a solid color, some say they don't think it'll sell well because of the coloring, and some even say that anything done in Zome is an immediate pass by them. I personally love the Zome pattern and I think it makes the knives more fun and interesting, and because of its "Japan exclusivity" it makes me more interested in any Seki models that come with it. I would like to hear some opinions of why you do or don't like Zome!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Why the hate of Zome?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't like it. I'm not really sure why, but I don't care what the steel is, the model knife it is, how rare it might actually be or become...it's an easy pass for me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Less about the patterns and more about just not buying those models for the pattern.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mostly depends on the color combo for me, and if the zome "painting" looks well done and interesting.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm not buying many knives this year and I haven't seen a zome knife that calls to me. I don't buy enduras or delicas and those are the zomes I've seen. I have other knives that fit my hand better. If I saw a knife that I was interested in and it was zome I'd still buy it. Like a SE K390 zome police 4 is something I'd probably buy. Of course I can't think of any color I wouldn't buy that configuration in. Just like the SE h1 spyderhawk. I don't care for orange or yellow handles but I still bought multiples of both of those because of the performance. I dyed one of the yellow handles black. I haven't dyed the orange because I don't care.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Why is it called zome?
It's camo to me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I like it but when something like color is as easy to change as it is, I don't find Zome patterns particularly groundbreaking.

I think there can be some really interesting color combinations and patterns achieved with Zome though.
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Why is it called zome?
It's camo to me.
Via Spyderco's Website

"Zome (pronounced "zoh-may") is a class of Japanese handicrafts that focuses on dyeing textiles. This ancient art form includes many different methods of creating patterns on cloth using dyes derived from plants, flowers, fruit, and other natural sources and is closely related to many aspects of Japanese history and culture.

Inspired by this rich artistic heritage, Spyderco's Zome knives are unique variations of our lightweight models, which feature injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handles. The handles are molded in a light base color and then individually hand dyed by expert Japanese artisans. Using a technique reminiscent of traditional hiki-zome (brush dyeing), various colors of dye are hand brushed onto the handle to create distinctive, one-of-a-kind patterns. Like Japan's classical dyeing methods, the special dyes used completely permeate the FRN to permanently color it."

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11ZFGR/993
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Not hate... I actually like the green zome, if anything, because it looks like well-done camo. But the other pairings just look like solid colors muddied with black paint. And DLT'S latest exclusive could have been stellar had it gone for a solid red instead of zome so that it'll match their other red scaled exclusives. A really big miss on their part there, unless they are willing to put out an M390 red Delica someday (I don't know how plausible is this given that an M390 Delica has already been released for Bento Box).
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I ordered a zome dragonfly 2 and was excited to have something “different.” When I received it, I realized that it really is just a green/brown camo pattern. Very difficult to even see there is a pattern except under bright light.

I think it would look MUCH better in more contrasting and brighter colors. Blue/orange, toxic green/black, and red/black (which I’ve seen somewhere) are some combos I’d buy. That said, I love my little Dfly and its little splash of character.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't really hate it. I just don't care for how it looks.

Actually....I really like it because it creates a whole bunch of knives I don't want to buy ;)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Not sure why I don't like it, but I don't. I like all my Spydies to be "stock", and I guess this triggers my OCD and make it feel like it is not "stock". I like plain old solid FRN, G10, and Micarta with the base textures. So that said, Zome is deal-breaker for me and I don't own any and won't buy any.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I quite the look of some of them, but one’s never come my way.

I’m not into the camouflage look, at all, though. The right to wear that belongs to the people that wear it for real, in my book.
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The green ones that look like camo would be interesting with black blade. Other than that, I don't really like it.
I'm tempted to do my own zome with the green Salt 2 if it ever comes out... And if homemade zome is possible.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I am indifferent.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

As always these things are subjective, but I'm not a fan. It reminds me of the "sponge painting" my mother did on the bathroom walls in the 90s.

Some color combos look better than others though. I saw one distributor exclusive version that literally looked like melanoma. It was unsurprisingly on a clearance site.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Unless the color combo is right, I am a firm no.

However, there are a couple that look nice.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PStone

Post by PStone »

No hate here. I really like the Zome. I just wish there were more color options other than black. Like the pink/purple one that was done a couple years ago. A Zome Pacific Salt that is green w/blue would be very hard to resist. Or that same hi-vis green w/purple too.
clintonde

Post by clintonde »

I'll start off by saying that I'm not at all familiar with traditional "zome" and what it entails. But I think that the miss here is that all of the zome by Spyderco looks the same. There are no cool patterns/varying colors. It all winds up looking like camo or random spots across the handle. I think that there could be a lot more opportunity for Spyderco's Zome if there was more variation. But like I said, I'm not at all familiar with traditional zome and maybe this is exactly how it's supposed to be/always been done.
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm
Mostly depends on the color combo for me, and if the zome "painting" looks well done and interesting.
Same