Can we (civilly) discuss fixed blade prices?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Re: Can we (civilly) discuss fixed blade prices?

Post by Pancake »

I know this is a completly dream, but a collaboration between Spyderco and Nathan Carother would be epic.
Something like his EDC2, or a utility knife would be epic.

But that is never going to happened, as well as me owning one knife from Carother.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The Bow River shows that it's possible for them to make a budget fixed blade knife in China. And the Chinese made Tenacious is or will be available in s35vn. So the Chinese factories are definitely getting better at working with steels other than 8cr. I don't know if they're made in the same factory, but I think there might be an opportunity there to make a couple intermediately priced fixed blades.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:29 pm
...a budget fixed blade knife in China... I think there might be an opportunity there to make a couple intermediately priced fixed blades.

Probably, but count me out if it comes to that.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:40 pm
Frozenspyder wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:29 pm
...a budget fixed blade knife in China... I think there might be an opportunity there to make a couple intermediately priced fixed blades.

Probably, but count me out if it comes to that.
Agreed. I'd rather pay more.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:53 am
I know this is a completly dream, but a collaboration between Spyderco and Nathan Carother would be epic.

But that is never going to happened, as well as me owning one knife from Carother.
I like this idea. Why couldn’t this happen?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Would love to see a sheath made for Z-Cuts so that I could safely carry around a slicey light duty fixed blade.

If ever there were a low cost fixed, that would be it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sabb8pro2 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:17 pm
Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:53 am

I like this idea. Why couldn’t this happen?
Not sure if he would like to collaborate with Spyderco, he is a small batch very high quality maker, so I am not sure if he would like to desing something for wide market.
But I think that Spyderco has a potential to execute his desing to very high standard.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been reading this thread as it has grown with intense interest. I've been a fan of Spyderco's fixed blades since the days of the first Perrin model, The TEMPERANCE 1 and the first STREETBEAT model as well ( 2003 to 2007). That goes back a few years needless to say. And ironically the TEMPERANCE 1 is still by far my personal favorite Spyderco fixed blade for a wide array of uses. One reason is that it's my all time fav is because it was one of the few Spyderco fixed blades you can get in Spyderedge and plain edge both. Not to mention the handle on the TEMP 1 is ergonomically perfect for my uses. And there isn't hardly a week that goes by I don't use both of them ( SE & PE)>> and it's been that way since 2004 :cool: .

Now back when it was still in the main line up ( 2004-2006) it was always moderately priced compared to the other fixed blades. And when it was discontinued you could get them at Sierra Trading Post for as low as $45 for almost a year after it was deleted from the main line up. I just regret that I didn't buy at least 6 more them :o .

I'm wondering why they don't have a few fixed blades that are moderately priced like the TEMP 1 with VG-10 steel and an FRN handle. They were able to do it with the TEMP 1. I would love to see that model return in the Salt Series with an LC200N blade. That would be a good place to start IMO.
benben

Post by benben »

I’d love to see Spyderco work their magic and do their own take on something similar to this LT Wright Genesis. Something around 9” total with a 4” blade.

https://www.dlttrading.com/lt-wright-ge ... tte-finish

~3mm 3V, or even 4V. Heck I’d be happy with M4.
FFG or even a high hollow grind, whichever is easiest and least expensive.
Micarta scales with a couple of colors to choose from, although Foliage green G-10 would work also?

A package like this coming in around $175/$185 would be a very hot seller, of course I could be way low on that number and it may be impossible for Spyderco to manufacture this knife for that low of a price? I don’t make knives for a living.....
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Pancake, sent you a PM, Carothers is working on a budget line that will probably blow everything out of the water.

I only have the Bradley Bowie and it is a great knife, but has been said before, their is to many other makers and custom makers that can make a better, or exact to you fixed blades for the same money or less. Spyderco makes some great fixed blades don’t get me wrong, but with all the pride factors and royalties on some models it really puts them out of reach and sometimes makes you scratch your head, just my opinion and all.
Josh
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, this thread is veering off into a discussion of every imaginable fixed blade anyone has ever thought about.

I have often wondered about this topic and took interest in this thread. I still find myself a little skeptical after hearing the explanations, though I trust that Spyderco is not for some unexplainable reason inflating the prices of fixed blades. It just seems that a fixed blade ought to be much simpler to make, given there are no fussy little moving parts.

It may boil down to economy of scale. There are expenses setting up the manufacture of any knife, fixed or otherwise, and if fixed blade sales are a lot fewer than for popular folders, those expenses have to be recovered on a smaller number of knives.

The Junction (discontinued) is a peculiar knife given that it is just two flat slabs of G10 on a knife blank with two big rivets swaged on. The handle is hardly a complex piece of machining (nor is it particularly ergonomic). Nonetheless, I like the knife for its simplicity. Yet it is/was $310 MSRP. I picked mine up when it became discontinued. A Shaman is $289 MSRP. (now nobody ever pays MSRP, but it lets us compare prices on the same scale so to speak). The Shaman makes an interesting comparison given the contoured scales which ought to be more expensive than your typical folder.

Well, all I can say is that it still doesn't make sense to this simple boy.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I hear you, Tucson Tom. I scratch my head about fixed blade pricing often, and not just with Spyderco's pricing. It might be as simple as charging what the market will bear?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:02 am
The Junction (discontinued) is a peculiar knife given that it is just two flat slabs of G10 on a knife blank with two big rivets swaged on. The handle is hardly a complex piece of machining (nor is it particularly ergonomic). Nonetheless, I like the knife for its simplicity. Yet it is/was $310 MSRP. I picked mine up when it became discontinued. A Shaman is $289 MSRP. (now nobody ever pays MSRP, but it lets us compare prices on the same scale so to speak). The Shaman makes an interesting comparison given the contoured scales which ought to be more expensive than your typical folder.

Let's see...

Junction is made with PSF27, Carpenter american steel.
How do you think the american steel made it to Taiwan? Teleportation ain't cheap...
Were duties paid on the american steel in Taiwan?
Manufacturing in Taiwan ain't cheap, that's not mainland China.
How did the finished knife come from Taiwan to Golden? Teleportation ain't cheap...
Were duties paid on the imported Taiwanese finished knife in the States?

Sheath adds up

Then I quote myself from an earlier post:
Add quality control/labeling/packaging etc in Golden.
Don't forget the literature :D
Pay salaries to people describing us how complicated this overall process is.
Add profit.
Then from distributors to dealers back to distributors then back to dealers distilled in several rounds of applause.

Shaman is made in Golden with local american CPM steel.
No moving steel and products around the world, no duties paid.
It's all local.
That's the difference...

cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:05 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:02 am

Let's see...

Junction is made with PSF27, Carpenter american steel.
How do you think the american steel made it to Taiwan? Teleportation ain't cheap...
Were duties paid on the american steel in Taiwan?
Manufacturing in Taiwan ain't cheap, that's not mainland China.
How did the finished knife come from Taiwan to Golden? Teleportation ain't cheap...
Were duties paid on the imported Taiwanese finished knife in the States?

Sheath adds up

Then I quote myself from an earlier post:
Add quality control/labeling/packaging etc in Golden.
Don't forget the literature :D
Pay salaries to people describing us how complicated this overall process is.
Add profit.
Then from distributors to dealers back to distributors then back to dealers distilled in several rounds of applause.

Shaman is made in Golden with local american CPM steel.
No moving steel and products around the world, no duties paid.
It's all local.
That's the difference...

It may not be as cheap as Mainland China, but the costs are far below for hourly wages then the US. I believe Taiwan is $4.40 -$5.00 US, where as in Golden the min wage is $12. Plus Taiwan doesn't have the other costs like insurance, higher electric etc to pay.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think this thread is a good indicator of why it has been so hard for Spyderco to break into the fixed blade market. "I could get a custom for that much money." I have a few customs, and the Proficient dances around all of them singing "Can't Touch This".

Could Spyderco reduce costs by making them in Golden instead of shipping materials around the world? Certainly. In most cases, the cost would be reduced by 100% since Golden simply doesn't have the production capacity to keep up with demand, let alone crank out new models. That means those knives wouldn't get made anytime soon.

"Fixed blades should cost less since there aren't any moving parts." Have you ever made a fixed blade knife? Try it sometime. I have, and the reults have ranged from awful to "what is that thing?" Ir isn't as easy as it looks, and the bigger the knife the harder it is to keep everything straight, flat and true.

Like Sal said, take one of his "too expensive" knives to your favorite custom maker and ask for a price to duplicate it. Then ask for a price break if you order 10 or more and see what he says.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Reading through 5 pages
Sounds like everyone would be happy with a junction size style knife made by Sal and Erick at golden
Priced at $200 from say BHQ or Knifecenter
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:33 pm
Reading through 5 pages
Sounds like everyone would be happy with a junction size style knife made by Sal and Erick at golden
Priced at $200 from say BHQ or Knifecenter
Kind of, sort of yes.
But problem with Golden is capacity.